U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2014, 05:11 AM
 
383 posts, read 298,791 times
Reputation: 821

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrata View Post
Sorry, didn't wish to come across as angry, but I'd just spent hours going to London and back and had to queue forever outside tbe US embassy in the freezing cold for a 5 minute visa interview.
Not wanting to get into a battle here, but people are dissing my future King.
Also William does not personally take any money from the civil list (royal welfare as you would call it). Although probably gets cash from old Charlie boy's estate in Cornwall.
I don't venerate royalty, most are a waste of space, but William is OK. He's served his country in the Royal Air Force, spent years as a search and rescue pilot etc, all things he didn't have to do.
I also don't understand why they all get so much attention, but they are vising a country that seems to treat 'celebrities' as gods. You can't blame British Royalty for that.
As for your revolution... Well Just remember, one man's freedom fighters are another man's rebels and terrorists. But we don't hold a grudge.
Lovely and polite response. I actually love Princess Diana's "boys" and feel very sorry for the prince's wife, because I think pregnancy must disagree with her a great deal. I apologize for my lack of consideration, not knowing you are British. What I object to is feting them. The only world celebrity who will be feted as much will be Pope Francis, and when his visit happens, I will object equally to it.

Particularly offensive to me is herding poor children and teenagers to put on shows or--gosh!--dancing for "royalty." That notion just is so medieval. The forced audience is always polite, but the performing commoners are like circus animals.

However, again, I apologize for using words that offended you. I cried harder on August 31, 1997 then I ever thought possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2014, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Reputation: 49901
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Suburb in British English is used to refer to any neighborhood out of the city center.
I was laughing at the "trendy" part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Reputation: 14671
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I was laughing at the "trendy" part.
oh, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Reputation: 9026
Quote:

we fought a Revolution, the longest war in our history
I think Afghanistan has taken over that title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 12:09 PM
 
24 posts, read 17,018 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
Lovely and polite response. I actually love Princess Diana's "boys" and feel very sorry for the prince's wife, because I think pregnancy must disagree with her a great deal. I apologize for my lack of consideration, not knowing you are British. What I object to is feting them. The only world celebrity who will be feted as much will be Pope Francis, and when his visit happens, I will object equally to it.

Particularly offensive to me is herding poor children and teenagers to put on shows or--gosh!--dancing for "royalty." That notion just is so medieval. The forced audience is always polite, but the performing commoners are like circus animals.

However, again, I apologize for using words that offended you. I cried harder on August 31, 1997 then I ever thought possible.
Hey, no problem, all friends here. I agree about the parading in front of the royals, not my cup of tea either.

Looking forward to living in NYC for a year from January, will raise a glass on 4th July to my American friends. Well, all errant children must fly the nest at some stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 04:17 PM
 
383 posts, read 298,791 times
Reputation: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrata View Post
Looking forward to living in NYC for a year from January, will raise a glass on 4th July to my American friends. Well, all errant children must fly the nest at some stage.


What a wonderful year you have ahead of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
Reputation: 7088
I ended up running into the Royal couple at the Empire State Building this afternoon. My kids got a kick out of the picture I sent them of a real princess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I ended up running into the Royal couple at the Empire State Building this afternoon. My kids got a kick out of the picture I sent them of a real princess.
I think she is just a duchess though she may be a princess one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
Reputation: 7088
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think she is just a duchess though she may be a princess one day.
One of their titles is Duke and Duchess of York, but she is considered a princess just as he is a prince. If you are interested in stuff like that, look up the various titles of royals throughout history. Many will surprise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
Reputation: 7088
Correction, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top