U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:01 PM

7,736 posts, read 14,018,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
The city with everything at your fingertips has spent years masking the impacts of the recession, but it has finally caught up.

10 years ago Manhattan was known overwhelmingly for "independent" storefronts. You would see little coffeeshops, retail stores, thousands of restaurants unique to NYC that reminded you right away you took that $7, I mean $10, I mean $13, I mean $14!!!! Tunnel or bridge to enter from Jersey

But now?
All those Coffeeshops are Starbucks
All those restaurants are clones of restsurants that were unique (I.e. Sarabeths Location 1, Sarabeths location 2....sarabeths location 10)
Apple Store, Apple Store, Apple store, Apple store
Trump tower, trump tower, trump tower

Cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs

Disney-owned Times Square

And for a final question....for the first time in 150 years, the answer to the question "where is the tastiest Jewish delicatessen located?

Answer is not NYC metro area any longer. Due to closures, answer is 3Gs located in South Florida
Last time it wasn't NYC it was somewhere in Europe before the Shoah

In summary, NYC is no longer a distinguished city. It's not as desireable anymore and given with all this the cost of entering is at $14 EZ pass toll and rising, the city is losing steam

My husband likes 2nd Ave Deli. Half the retail buyers he deals with come to his showroom just for the deli food during his trade shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:56 PM

10,765 posts, read 25,640,632 times
Quote:
Burger= Five Guys
You do realize that Five Guys was a family-owned local establishment that started in Arlington, VA, with rolls purchased from the independent bakery next door, correct? It's not an anonymous chain, but one that has roots in the area, but has franchised in recent years. That's similar to what is happening with Elevation Burger, though they are not in the city. And, it's no different than Shake Shack, which started in NYC and has now expanded to DC, Philadelphia, etc. The days of a one restaurant concept in that sector are not the same because the true money is in the franchising of the concept that was originally developed in a particular locale. The restaurants are designed as corporate entities, not the local lunchonette of old that was on the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My husband likes 2nd Ave Deli. Half the retail buyers he deals with come to his showroom just for the deli food during his trade shows.
I was going to say 2nd Avenue Deli, as well, for Manhattan. Ben's in Queens (although there are other locations) and Liebmann's in The Bronx are also very good Jewish delis. Katz's attracts tourists, but their core menu items are still good. Russ & Daughters is still independent and a unique NYC appetizing shop.

There are many independent bakeries that are good, even in Manhattan, such as William Greenberg Jr., so people do not have to go to a Starbucks for a particular cookie.

If one wants to look for the uniquely New York restaurants and shops, there are some that survive, though competition from chains that offer consistent levels of quality and service have tended to contract various sectors, driving out the lower and mediocre because of the food/service offerings that are better at a chain. Better quality establishments can also suffer, due to increased real estate costs, since a chain can spread the cost over multiple outlets, and has regional/national marketing campaigns with which it is very difficult for a sole proprietor to compete.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-09-2014, 04:37 PM

4,580 posts, read 2,344,354 times
I do my part by shopping mostly from mom and pops instead of chains. Never really jumped on that Starbucks and DD bandwagon.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:51 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,055,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
It kills me when people move to here from wherever they are from cause they saw/heard what nyc was like in the 80's/90's/2000 and then complain slowly try to change it to the stuff they know where they come from.
REPS!!! Short, sweet, to the point and absolutely true! Hate to say it but I don't think it's even the Big Apple anymore, more like the Big Cupcake.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:35 PM

11,856 posts, read 7,797,575 times
Everytime an old store shuts down you see a Starbucks, duane reade or insert your franchises. This is like going to any mall in America these days.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,120,562 times
all the spoiled brats need to take a nap.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:52 PM

8,281 posts, read 8,574,394 times
Quote:
Now if we hadn't had a Republican mayor for so many years, my honest prediction is the city would be an even worse shape....

You would have close-downs and no CVS and Starbucks and Apple store or Disney store replacing the landscape...so instead you would have conspicuous appearances of a city slowly losing store after store

I suspect you may well be wrong on this.

If all these deep-pocket chains weren't barging in, landlords wouldn't have been so quick to toss the old reliable tenants out on their ears to pursue the big corporate bucks at triple the rent. I'm not sure where this fantasy developed that catering to corporations is the way to go.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:39 PM

2,253 posts, read 1,954,913 times
NYC is definitely more corporate owned now. I'm waiting for the day when a Starbucks opens inside of another Starbucks.

However, I would like to note that from what I have seen in other major cities (including some in Europe), this is not unique to NY.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:41 PM

2,253 posts, read 1,954,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I do my part by shopping mostly from mom and pops instead of chains. Never really jumped on that Starbucks and DD bandwagon.
same here. I've head some of the best cups of coffee from a mom & pop owned deli or cafe.

DD is like dishwater. Starbucks teas are very good, but their coffee tastes burnt and bitter. Their Blond Blend is just OK, but I make better coffee at home.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,686,982 times
New Orleans still has a lot of mom n pop shops.

I'm guessing that since NYC became way too expensive in these past few years, it's forced a lot of the mom n pops out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or