Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 AM

495 posts, read 610,790 times

Advertisements

Katz Matzohball soup taste test my wife and I did. The matzohball in the soup is huge, but the broth of the soup is not up to premium standards when anticipating you are paying for the best there is.

If it were your average deli I would be raving but when you are anticipating based on that level of customer traffic and food pricing that this is quality at its best, I have to be honest and say Katz doesn't win on the matzohball soup because the broth of the soup is not great.

Compare with 3G's in Delray the broth of the soup is much lower in sodium, contains fresh organic chicken and a touch of mixed vegetables, and the preparedness of the soup is superior in quality and in the form of a sit-down dining experience.

I don't mean to be such a critic but in the competition for quality at its best, there's a lot of pickiness that has to go into the evaluation. Everything from the tempetature it's prepared, the freshness of each component, even things like "can they customize orders to fit certain picky preferences such as "no carrots, no this, no that"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Katz Matzohball soup taste test my wife and I did. The matzohball in the soup is huge, but the broth of the soup is not up to premium standards when anticipating you are paying for the best there is.

If it were your average deli I would be raving but when you are anticipating based on that level of customer traffic and food pricing that this is quality at its best, I have to be honest and say Katz doesn't win on the matzohball soup because the broth of the soup is not great.

Compare with 3G's in Delray the broth of the soup is much lower in sodium, contains fresh organic chicken and a touch of mixed vegetables, and the preparedness of the soup is superior in quality and in the form of a sit-down dining experience.

I don't mean to be such a critic but in the competition for quality at its best, there's a lot of pickiness that has to go into the evaluation. Everything from the tempetature it's prepared, the freshness of each component, even things like "can they customize orders to fit certain picky preferences such as "no carrots, no this, no that"....
Katz is famous for their pastrami....not soup.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 AM

307 posts, read 636,802 times
The most unique things about old NYC (pre 2ks') were Times Square/Port Authority, Central Park and the people.
Times Square was overrated
Port Authority was a war zone and now isn't.
Central park is unchanged
Many of the people have been displaced by implants. Many of these implants bring lots of $$, and desire their home conveniences and comforts, like chains stores, clean streets and perfect 24X7 safety. But then complain about NY not being unique. Do they really want the old "unique" NYC? I personally do, but I lived here back then. so I know what I am wishing for.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:29 AM

495 posts, read 610,790 times
Then maybe Ben's is the winner. Maybe it's not necessary to throw out the entire NYC area. I haven't tried enough places in the area outside Manhattan Island. New Jersey in direction of Morristown also has some tops on the list.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:41 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Manhattan still has more restaurants than most people will be able to experience in their lifetimes.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:45 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
When you limit NYC to Manhattan, your answer isn't surprising (it does, however, go to show how ridiculous it is to exclude the outer-boroughs when discussing NYC). I can point out NYC's best Jewish delicatessen (or stores that are so darn good they have a claim for such title) or multiple storefront, independent coffee shops in Brooklyn, Queens, etc.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 AM

571 posts, read 790,604 times
Can't we combine all these whiny "back in MY day" threads?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:11 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Central park is unchanged
Of all the things mentioned in this thread, this is one thing that I would argue is much better today than it was when I was growing up. Overall the park is safer, the great lawn is no longer a dust bowl, there are fewer discarded condoms in the Ramble, etc.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
NYC will be like LA, where you have Hollywood studios, big shopping malls, and Disney world tourisy areas. Offices will remain but most of the unique outfits are pushed out.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:02 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Taking this apart piece by piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
The city with everything at your fingertips has spent years masking the impacts of the recession, but it has finally caught up.

10 years ago Manhattan was known overwhelmingly for "independent" storefronts. You would see little coffeeshops, retail stores, thousands of restaurants unique to NYC that reminded you right away you took that $7, I mean $10, I mean $13, I mean $14!!!! Tunnel or bridge to enter from Jersey

But now?
All those Coffeeshops are Starbucks
Before Starbucks "coffeeshop" was synonymous with diner. The coffee was in a grecian themed cup, and was likely only okay. There was nothing like espresso. That was mostly served with desert in real restaurants.

While there may have been a few places in the village that specialized in espresso and pastries, this was not something found everywhere or easily. It was Starbucks that established that.
Quote:

All those restaurants are clones of restsurants that were unique (I.e. Sarabeths Location 1, Sarabeths location 2....sarabeths location 10)
Apple Store, Apple Store, Apple store, Apple store
Trump tower, trump tower, trump tower
What you're seeing with that is things that work being cloned. In NYC, since people walk, people wont travel to far for what the want. So the business bring it to them.
Quote:

Cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs
I remember the days prior to the proliferation of chain drug stores. Getting a prescription was a major PITA. Places were open during the day on weekdays and maybe a few hours on the weekends. It was a crap shoot if they took insurance. When the chains showed up, with their long hours and better systems, it was a HUGE improvement.

Oh, and in addition to prescriptions, they've become the neighborhood dry goods stores. In this role, they basically replaced the Woolworth's and Lamston's chains that had previously disappeared.
Quote:

Disney-owned Times Square
Disney owns a couple out of a large number of theaters. And they've done some pretty interesting things with them.
Quote:

And for a final question....for the first time in 150 years, the answer to the question "where is the tastiest Jewish delicatessen located?

Answer is not NYC metro area any longer. Due to closures, answer is 3Gs located in South Florida
Last time it wasn't NYC it was somewhere in Europe before the Shoah
Never been to 3Gs. But the Pastrami at Katz's and Carnegie is still really good. Yes, I know their touristy. So what?
Quote:

In summary, NYC is no longer a distinguished city. It's not as desireable anymore and given with all this the cost of entering is at $14 EZ pass toll and rising, the city is losing steam
Sorry, I'm going to say this even if the mods don't like it. Your full of $hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City