U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2014, 01:32 PM
 
6,841 posts, read 4,441,994 times
Reputation: 7623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
All this may be true, but it does not justify being killed by a cop for selling a loose cigarette.

The majority of smokers, including those who are related to you, have given out or sold individual cigarettes to people needing a smoke. Should they be killed for doing something technically illegal? Let's not even talk about smokers buying cigarettes from Virginia or other far away states that have lower cig sales taxes than NY and NJ. It's common enough that you know people doing this.

And plenty of people who had jobs were BUYING cigs (and drugs) from Gardner, so they are certainly complicit in all this. Should they be killed, even if they are your family, friends, coworkers, etc.?

For the record, Gardner was clearly stupid (how else do you get arrested over 30 times), however it is NOT okay to kill someone just because they are stupid. I think he was low IQ more than anything. I can't imagine anyone who gets himself arrested so many times has the problem solving abilities to do most jobs (I guess he could have gotten a warehouse job where you sort boxes or something like that). But none of this makes it okay to kill the man.

After he screamed I can't breathe, the officers should have pulled away and saw to it he got immediate medical attention. They did not. They just left him there. He was murdered and that is unjustifiable.
When you put yourself in a bad situation you have no one to blame BUT yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:03 PM
 
23,263 posts, read 16,088,546 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
When you put yourself in a bad situation you have no one to blame BUT yourself.
That's a two way street. The police officers who killed Gardner put themselves in a bad situation, and the consequences of this are still ongoing.

The mayor and the chief of police, for even enforcing this stupidity against loosies are facing the consequences too. Bratton may have to ultimately resign because of this. Negative consequences are not just for poor people.

Oh, and the cops responsible, now that there is a federal involvement, may ultimately lose their jobs and their pensions. Not a happy outcome for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Staten Island
1,653 posts, read 1,695,650 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
All this may be true, but it does not justify being killed by a cop for selling a loose cigarette.

The majority of smokers, including those who are related to you, have given out or sold individual cigarettes to people needing a smoke. Should they be killed for doing something technically illegal? Let's not even talk about smokers buying cigarettes from Virginia or other far away states that have lower cig sales taxes than NY and NJ. It's common enough that you know people doing this.

And plenty of people who had jobs were BUYING cigs (and drugs) from Gardner, so they are certainly complicit in all this. Should they be killed, even if they are your family, friends, coworkers, etc.?

For the record, Gardner was clearly stupid (how else do you get arrested over 30 times), however it is NOT okay to kill someone just because they are stupid. I think he was low IQ more than anything. I can't imagine anyone who gets himself arrested so many times has the problem solving abilities to do most jobs (I guess he could have gotten a warehouse job where you sort boxes or something like that). But none of this makes it okay to kill the man.

After he screamed I can't breathe, the officers should have pulled away and saw to it he got immediate medical attention. They did not. They just left him there. He was murdered and that is unjustifiable.
He was not murdered. This is a flat out false hood and frankly you should be given infraction points each time you continue to spread this lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And they held him there after he said he can't breathe, made no attempt to help him after he was clearly physically distressed.

So how would you react if one of your relatives were killed for selling loosies or in some sort of drug transaction?

Keeping in mind people of all socioeconomic backgrounds well sometimes by and sell loosies (sometimes people just need a hit of nicotine) and people of all backgrounds do illegal drugs.

Gardner never should have been approached for SELLING loose cigarettes. Had the cops minded their business and gone after a real crime, none of this mess would be going on.
This is the mind set that the hood rats have allowed to elove over so many years and it's a poor mind set to have. It's the business of the Police to enforce the law, no matter how petty or how annoying the laws are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
When you put yourself in a bad situation you have no one to blame BUT yourself.
Exactly, but than that would involve a person taking responsibility for their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Staten Island
1,653 posts, read 1,695,650 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's a two way street. The police officers who killed Gardner put themselves in a bad situation, and the consequences of this are still ongoing.

The mayor and the chief of police, for even enforcing this stupidity against loosies are facing the consequences too. Bratton may have to ultimately resign because of this. Negative consequences are not just for poor people.

Oh, and the cops responsible, now that there is a federal involvement, may ultimately lose their jobs and their pensions. Not a happy outcome for them.
Bratton won't resign. The guy who was "responsible" for this already resigned. His name is Phillip Banks Jr. He ordered the crack down on the untaxed ciggy sellers as well as other petty crimes because the 311 system recorded so many complaints. You know who Banks is, right? He was the highest ranking uniformed officer, and he was black. Guess he took the fall for his white masser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 PM
 
23,263 posts, read 16,088,546 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
He was not murdered. This is a flat out false hood and frankly you should be given infraction points each time you continue to spread this lie.


This is the mind set that the hood rats have allowed to elove over so many years and it's a poor mind set to have. It's the business of the Police to enforce the law, no matter how petty or how annoying the laws are.




Exactly, but than that would involve a person taking responsibility for their actions.
Well, as a result of the public outcry and now federal involvement, ultimately the cops involved may lose their jobs and pensions.

Clearly stopping a man for selling cigarettes is not worth the destruction of your career as a police officer. That's extremely poor judgement on the hands of the officer.

When presented with stupid laws like this, cops should let the politicians who pass them or want to enforce them hit the streets and risk their careers and livelihoods. Bloomberg's idiocy put these laws against loosies and also placed the extra high taxes on cigarettes (creating the market in the first place). But Bloomberg has his billions while a cop risks his life, his job, and his pension, all to enforce a stupid rule.

Cops if you have sense you will ignore certain so called laws.

And yes, the cops are being held responsible for THEIR actions. Responsibility is a TWO WAY STREET!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:09 PM
 
23,263 posts, read 16,088,546 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Bratton won't resign. The guy who was "responsible" for this already resigned. His name is Phillip Banks Jr. He ordered the crack down on the untaxed ciggy sellers as well as other petty crimes because the 311 system recorded so many complaints. You know who Banks is, right? He was the highest ranking uniformed officer, and he was black. Guess he took the fall for his white masser.
Bratton was forced to resign once before, and it was under the rule of Giuliani himself. Sure it could happen again if de Blasio throws him under the bus to get in good with the base who voted him in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:21 PM
 
1,936 posts, read 2,132,486 times
Reputation: 2723
If the chokehold and chest crush with knee and head pressed against concrete wasn't bad enough.... the video showing the female EMS "assessing" a near dead Eric Garner is even more comically tragic. As a doctor myself, I cringe at how an EMT supposedly trained in BLS/ACLS is assessing an almost lifeless body... its as bad a malpractice as the choke hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Staten Island
1,653 posts, read 1,695,650 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
If the chokehold and chest crush with knee and head pressed against concrete wasn't bad enough.... the video showing the female EMS "assessing" a near dead Eric Garner is even more comically tragic. As a doctor myself, I cringe at how an EMT supposedly trained in BLS/ACLS is assessing an almost lifeless body... its as bad a malpractice as the choke hold.
I think all but one of those EMT's are back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:54 PM
 
6,841 posts, read 4,441,994 times
Reputation: 7623
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's a two way street. The police officers who killed Gardner put themselves in a bad situation, and the consequences of this are still ongoing.

The mayor and the chief of police, for even enforcing this stupidity against loosies are facing the consequences too. Bratton may have to ultimately resign because of this. Negative consequences are not just for poor people.

Oh, and the cops responsible, now that there is a federal involvement, may ultimately lose their jobs and their pensions. Not a happy outcome for them.
Punishment for Petty crime needs to enforce or else it will escalate to more serious crime. How is it a 2 way street? If dummy Gardner didn't resist and allowed the officers to arrest him, like a professional criminal with 30 prior arrest then he would still be alive. He was arrested in April 2014 for the same crime. Did he not learn??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 04:08 PM
 
749 posts, read 716,573 times
Reputation: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
There are countless American men from various ethnic backgrounds who help to create children, without supporting them.


Apparently, he didn't know the drill, because if he did, he wouldn't have attempted to rationalize with the police officers.



Staten Island is home to the largest number of heroin addicts in NYC and many of them are white.
The New Jersey Shore had 133 deaths due to Heroin, was he trying to sell Heroin too, on Bay Street......maybe those "Loosies, " were not that Loose.......perhaps the reason for the thirty plus arrests......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top