U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 07:52 PM

570 posts, read 482,082 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to be saying "suck it up". I think that's a righteous attitude for the construction, that seems to be according to the rule makers.

BUT, I think the sucking it up of the dust is a health hazard and OP should not have to "suck it up" figuratively or literally. If one has asthma or allergies or if they have no ailments at all, sucking up construction dust cannot be good for you. Depending on what exactly is being renovated, and the age of the building, it is quite possible that this dust could be toxic, like with asbestos or whatever. This was my first thought as I lost a friend recently to asbestos poisoning that caused throat cancer. From a remodeling job nonetheless. It was in another state though.

Don't suck up that dust Simple Student. No how. No way. There are ways to mitigate construction dust.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 12:52 PM

9,952 posts, read 8,438,330 times
There's a line of escalation here. Start with Cida's letter. This is a very valid first step. If that doesn't work...

Step 2). Email the building manager. If you don't have their email address, call the management company and get it. Email is good, because it creates a trail. Send him your complaint, and ask him/her to intercede. The have the power to stop the work if necessary. Just the threat of that will often get the apartment owner and their contractor to clean up their act. If you go a few rounds at this level, and nothing happens...

Step 3). Contact the president of the coop board. Let them know what's going on. If the building manager isn't getting any results (or isn't trying) the coop board can get them to deal with the situation. If the management agency isn't doing their job, the board can fire them. So if the board president leans on them something will happen.

One side note here, before doing any of this, start documenting the disruption (make audio/video recordings, take pictures, etc.). Make sure you're in a position to prove that you are being directly adversely affected in your apartment, by the construction.

If you're still not getting any relief...

Step 4). Call the city. Call 311 and make a complaint with the buildings department. Call for an inspection. No one in the chain of command here wants the city crawling up their a$$. Also, most construction projects require permits. The DOB can pull these, and issue a stop work order.

There are escalations beyond this. If you do all this, and don't get results, post that, and I'll give you more.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:28 PM

499 posts, read 367,031 times
Renovations are obviously disruptive... you cannot quietly renovate and do so in a manner that doesn't cause dust. Not everything needs to be protested... sometimes you just gotta suck it up.

Unless they are doing something wrong or during non work day hours of course.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:44 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
its just plain truth.

930 is too late. Construction here is allowed at 7, our building is 8. Workmen come when they are ready, not at a time to suit your neighbor. It doesnt work that way, maybe in a perfect world, but not this one. A workeman can have several jobs in one day, they start early to get things done.

when I had my floors sanded, I saw the daughter of the tenants below me. I said I hope your parents weren't too bothered by the heavy machinery the last week, I had my floors all re-done.
her response was: I don't think they even noticed. We have been friends for 27 years......
You seem to be missing the point. It's not "too late" and it's not a matter of what's allowed.

And you accidentally helped illustrate my point - yes, workmen often can do several jobs in a day. So all you have to do is specify that you don't want to be the first job.

You're lucky if you have deaf neighbors, but that proves nothing.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:44 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You seem to be missing the point. It's not "too late" and it's not a matter of what's allowed.

And you accidentally helped illustrate my point - yes, workmen often can do several jobs in a day. So all you have to do is specify that you don't want to be the first job.

You're lucky if you have deaf neighbors, but that proves nothing.
I recently had some work done, and I certainly wasn't going to tell my contractors not to come at certain times. I gave them the coop times (work between 9 and 5) and beyond that, they made the decision when to come and go. If I had given them additional restrictions, the project completion date could have been more drawn out. My goal was to get the work done as quickly as possible by a good contractor who would follow the coop rules.

My responsibility as a coop shareholder AND as a good neighbor does not go beyond that. It is not my responsibility to check with every neighbor around to see who sleeps in til 9:30 am, and if by chance someone does, not to start til then!

When you live in a large building and potentially have at least 5 apartments that might hear work being done (2 beside you, one across, one up and one down) it would be ridiculous to try to start working around everyone else's schedule. It's fine if you want to be so cautious, but it doesn't mean everyone else should have to be.

The coop rules are there for a reason--because this is what the coop has determined are reasonable rules to follow. So if people are following the coop rules, they should not be chastised for not trying to chase their tail to follow everyone and their brother's sleeping or studying schedule.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:44 PM

15,228 posts, read 23,743,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I recently had some work done, and I certainly wasn't going to tell my contractors not to come at certain times. I gave them the coop times (work between 9 and 5) and beyond that, they made the decision when to come and go. If I had given them additional restrictions, the project completion date could have been more drawn out. My goal was to get the work done as quickly as possible by a good contractor who would follow the coop rules.

My responsibility as a coop shareholder AND as a good neighbor does not go beyond that. It is not my responsibility to check with every neighbor around to see who sleeps in til 9:30 am, and if by chance someone does, not to start til then!

When you live in a large building and potentially have at least 5 apartments that might hear work being done (2 beside you, one across, one up and one down) it would be ridiculous to try to start working around everyone else's schedule. It's fine if you want to be so cautious, but it doesn't mean everyone else should have to be.

The coop rules are there for a reason--because this is what the coop has determined are reasonable rules to follow.
So if people are following the coop rules, they should not be chastised for not trying to chase their tail to follow everyone and their brother's sleeping or studying schedule.

Thank you, at least someone is understanding what I have been trying to say.

renovations are noisey and annoying, thats why the co-op has rules that are reasoneable fo all people.

and again, I will say you have to suck it up. before you know it, it will be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City