U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,735 times

Advertisements

I live in a co-op, and one of the units above me recently started undergoing a renovation. I was woken up on Tuesday by loud drilling and found a piece of paper slipped under my door that said, "Please be advised that renovations will be starting today. We apologize for any inconvenience."

"Inconvenience" is an understatement! I'm a student, and finals began this week. I wish I had been given some kind of advanced notice so I could've perhaps begged the unit's owner to delay construction, because the noise is incredibly distracting when I'm trying to study. As frustrating as it is, it's being done within legal working hours, so all I can do is find somewhere else to study (and complain to my classmates, of course).

What's really disturbing me is the dust that's falling over certain areas of my apartment. I came back from class last night to find my kitchen covered in dust. It looked like no one had stepped foot in there for months, but I'd just cleaned the stove and counters the night before that and floors over the weekend. It was strange, to say the least. It's also in the air, even when the construction has stopped for the night, and it makes me want to sneeze. I already have allergies, I don't need to add more dust!

Is my experience normal? I know there's nothing I can do about the noise, but should I mention all the dust to my super? I feel like there's nothing he would be able to do about it, but contacting him might be worthwhile just so I can find out how long they expect the renovations to go on for.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 06:36 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,501,765 times
First, consider yourself lucky. You're very fortunate that your neighbors are so civilized as to write you a note.

Here's what you do. You write a nice note back. Typed, of course.

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Upstairs:

Thank you so much for your note - I only wished I'd had some advance notice, so I could think ahead about finding a quiet place to work. Could you let me know approximately how long the work is expected to take?

In the meantime, I want to ask about a problem with dust coming from your renovation. I can't understand this, but my kitchen was covered in dust when I came home, and it's generally already creating breathing problems for me. Apart from the inconvenience, this worries me as a potential hazard. Could you ask your workmen about this? Perhaps they'd like to come to my apartment to see what I mean.

Please feel free to call me at your convenience: 212-999-9999.

Thanks,
Simple Student

Try this FIRST, before involving the super. Oh, and make sure that they'll get the note. I mean, you have to check to see if they're living there, or else you can maybe leave the note in an envelope taped to the door if the workmen say that they come daily to check the progress. Failing that, you can always get their address from the contractor's office.

Good luck.

Last edited by Cida; 12-11-2014 at 06:53 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 PM

15,229 posts, read 23,756,652 times
just suck it up. it happens, at least it will stop. when do you think the people are supposed to renovate????? Construction work has schedules. The tenants cant worry about, nor should worry about when it is a convenient time for you.

As long as the work is done between 8-4, they are in the right. I own a co-op and those are the rules.

I wouldn't give a rats arse about a student studying for finals, not my problem.

Be thankful they at least left a note. Construction usually only lasts for a while, its not like it is going to be going on for decades.

get over it and move on.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM

535 posts, read 513,902 times
The noise issue sucks. It is hard to avoid though because once a contractor starts he wants to finish ASAP as does the owner and it costs money.

Regarding the dust issue that is a concern. You can tape a note to their door nicely stating you found dust coming from the vents and ask them if they can tape and seal off their vents while the work is done to prevent dust from going to your apartment. The dust issue is against the rules because you have a right to enjoy your apartment and be free from their dust.

You can also contact the property manager/super regarding the dust and ask them to speak to the contractor/owner and resolve the problem.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:52 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,421,135 times
They gave you notice and are working within the allowed time so there's not much you can do. I do think it would be fair if you could ask them to see if they could control the dust better.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:36 AM

499 posts, read 367,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
just suck it up. it happens, at least it will stop. when do you think the people are supposed to renovate????? Construction work has schedules. The tenants cant worry about, nor should worry about when it is a convenient time for you.

As long as the work is done between 8-4, they are in the right. I own a co-op and those are the rules.

I wouldn't give a rats arse about a student studying for finals, not my problem.

Be thankful they at least left a note. Construction usually only lasts for a while, its not like it is going to be going on for decades.

get over it and move on.
seriously! should they renovate THEIR apt at a time that is more convenient to you?...lol... perhaps that wouldn;t be convenient to the other neighbor though...so when should they renovate exactly?

That's part of living in a co-op... deal with it and be nice about it. There is really nothing you can do and you shouldn't make someone else feel bad about having work done to their unit.

there are co-op rules to make sure work is done at reasonable hours... unless they are jackhammering at 1am... then really, just get some earplugs and deal with it.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:26 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,501,765 times
Quote:
just suck it up. it happens, at least it will stop. when do you think the people are supposed to renovate????? Construction work has schedules. The tenants cant worry about, nor should worry about when it is a convenient time for you. As long as the work is done between 8-4, they are in the right. I own a co-op and those are the rules.

get over it and move on.

Jeez, what an awful attitude. I'm glad you're not my neighbor. Yeah, co-ops have rules. Those rules constitute a FLOOR, the mininum behavior. There's nothing saying you can't rise to the occasion and be a better neighbor. My downstairs neighbor and I have a great relationship. We each apologetically warn each other a few days in advance of any work, and we generally try to have workmen not start until 9:30 - or at least not do anything noisy until 9:30.

As to "not my problem" - with that attitude, I'm not even sure you belong in a co-op. The whole concept is that it's co-operative living.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:04 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:

get over it and move on.
We also have construction restrictions. It can only be done between 9 am and 5 pm Mon-Friday. All renovations have to be approved by the board/managing agent.

I think this is sufficient. No one has warned me when they've done their renovations. People follow the rules for the most part because they do not want to be fined, and also possibly because they are good neighbors.

If dust from my renovations was getting into a neighbor's apartment, I would definitely want to know about this so I could warn my contractor to fix the situation. If someone else's dust was coming into my apartment, I would probably inform the managing agent so he could contact the shareholder and/or their contractor.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Jeez, what an awful attitude. I'm glad you're not my neighbor. Yeah, co-ops have rules. Those rules constitute a FLOOR, the mininum behavior. There's nothing saying you can't rise to the occasion and be a better neighbor. My downstairs neighbor and I have a great relationship. We each apologetically warn each other a few days in advance of any work, and we generally try to have workmen not start until 9:30 - or at least not do anything noisy until 9:30.

As to "not my problem" - with that attitude, I'm not even sure you belong in a co-op. The whole concept is that it's co-operative living.

its just plain truth.

930 is too late. Construction here is allowed at 7, our building is 8. Workmen come when they are ready, not at a time to suit your neighbor. It doesnt work that way, maybe in a perfect world, but not this one. A workeman can have several jobs in one day, they start early to get things done.

when I had my floors sanded, I saw the daughter of the tenants below me. I said I hope your parents weren't too bothered by the heavy machinery the last week, I had my floors all re-done.
her response was: I don't think they even noticed. We have been friends for 27 years......

Old 12-14-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
We also have construction restrictions. It can only be done between 9 am and 5 pm Mon-Friday. All renovations have to be approved by the board/managing agent.

I think this is sufficient. No one has warned me when they've done their renovations. People follow the rules for the most part because they do not want to be fined, and also possibly because they are good neighbors.

If dust from my renovations was getting into a neighbor's apartment, I would definitely want to know about this so I could warn my contractor to fix the situation. If someone else's dust was coming into my apartment, I would probably inform the managing agent so he could contact the shareholder and/or their contractor.

exactly!!

sometimes the dust comes from vibrations and cracks between the ceiling and walls, moldings areound doors and windows, light fixtures. It does happen, sometimes it simply cannot be helped.

right now we have 2 houses being built around the corner, they have electric generators on from 7am - 6pm, mon-sat. annoying, oh hell yes, but I know it will stop in a month or so. It is construction, it happens. At least it goes off at 6 and we can all sleep. besides im up at 7 anyway, as I go to work as well......

what can you do....you suck it up, realize it is going to stop and call it a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City