U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:00 PM

913 posts, read 1,814,356 times

Advertisements

There they go again ruining my Christmas shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 03:03 PM

250 posts, read 226,221 times
Default Frank Serpico on Eric Garner's Death:

Frank Serpico on Eric Garner: Cops cry wolf all the time - NY Daily News

"Was I surprised by the Staten Island grand jury? Of course not. When was the last time a police officer was indicted?
This is the use of excessive force for no apparent reason on a guy who is selling loosie cigarettes; what is the threat to your well-being? If a police officer's life is in danger, he has every right to use every force in his means to defend himself.
In the old days, they used to put a gun or a knife on somebody after a shooting. Now they don't even bother.
But today, we have cops crying wolf all the time. They testify "I was in fear of my life," the grand jury buys it, the DA winks and nods, and there's no indictment."

We desperately need more Frank Serpico's in the police department.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:28 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,656,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
Frank Serpico on Eric Garner: Cops cry wolf all the time - NY Daily News

"Was I surprised by the Staten Island grand jury? Of course not. When was the last time a police officer was indicted? This is the use of excessive force for no apparent reason on a guy who is selling loosie cigarettes; what is the threat to your well-being? If a police officer's life is in danger, he has every right to use every force in his means to defend himself.
In the old days, they used to put a gun or a knife on somebody after a shooting. Now they don't even bother.
But today, we have cops crying wolf all the time. They testify "I was in fear of my life," the grand jury buys it, the DA winks and nods, and there's no indictment."

We desperately need more Frank Serpico's in the police department.
Lol you are a cop hater. It was not a chokehold. And if it was it would be against department guidelines but not against NYS penal land jury saw 4 different tapes. They heard from dozens of witnesses and they heard the cops story. Just because you didn't get the outcome you wanted doesn't mean that 23 NYC residents who heard all the evidence disagreed with you.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:34 PM

8,609 posts, read 7,041,928 times
Dude, when all else fails, it's racism.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:51 PM

250 posts, read 226,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Lol you are a cop hater. It was not a chokehold. And if it was it would be against department guidelines but not against NYS penal land jury saw 4 different tapes. They heard from dozens of witnesses and they heard the cops story. Just because you didn't get the outcome you wanted doesn't mean that 23 NYC residents who heard all the evidence disagreed with you.
"I didn't see that kid"

"My brakes stopped working"

"The car was possessed by a demon who looked like Hulk Hogan"

If I hated cops, I would not stress the importance of video cameras and how good police officers need to come out and repudiate the bad ones and their idiot union boss.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:02 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,656,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
"I didn't see that kid"

"My brakes stopped working"

"The car was possessed by a demon who looked like Hulk Hogan"

If I hated cops, I would not stress the importance of video cameras and how good police officers need to come out and repudiate the bad ones and their idiot union boss.
I personally know Pat Lynch. He is unbelievable. One of the best human beings I have ever met in my life. Maybe if you actually new him your opinion would change! Yes I have seen your posts. You are a cop hater!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,245,970 times
Saw the march today. Not even close to 40K people were marching. Many cops (getting paid lots of OT) were just standing on the sidelines goofing off and playing with their smart phones. There were some cops taking video, however.

I have to say, the people in the march were very peaceful and had some powerful messages on their signs.

I think they would be better to march on City Hall, the DAs office, and the NYPD Headquarters. What they did today brought more attention to the issue but I don't think it's sending the message where it has to go.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:46 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,245,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So how far from a single million was the "millions" march? I guess 997,853 short.

It was far less than the 40,000+ who responded on Facebook (according to the OP) but there were a lot of people. I would think maybe a couple of thousand. I'm sure the news will report with a number later on.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:44 PM

11,411 posts, read 6,177,782 times
The NYPD has blocked off Dean and Flatbush and has a very heavy presence around the Barclays Center. My guess is that the agitators are on their way to Brooklyn. Hip hip hooray.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:20 PM

24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Saw the march today. Not even close to 40K people were marching. Many cops (getting paid lots of OT) were just standing on the sidelines goofing off and playing with their smart phones. There were some cops taking video, however.

I have to say, the people in the march were very peaceful and had some powerful messages on their signs.

I think they would be better to march on City Hall, the DAs office, and the NYPD Headquarters. What they did today brought more attention to the issue but I don't think it's sending the message where it has to go.
Truthfully, these marches or protests go on for a few weeks and then fade away. This might be the last big protest on this issue for awhile. And I think City Hall, the DA, and the NYPD know how the protesters feel.

But I actually think the poor relationship between the NYPD and the "minority" communities is being solved by gentrification pricing them out of much of the city. That's really the true problem, the poverty in these communities lead to crime and of course police involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or