Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:18 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times

Advertisements

Make it the smallest car. You don't need 4 wheel drive in a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 07:43 PM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
I don't know the truck comes in handy, the KIA Sportage LX and Dodge Neon tuner car my son and I built are more practical but the truck is the most handy. You could use 4 wheel drive in the city it snows in New York.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:17 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
There are parts of the city where you can keep all three cars easily. My current household has 4 vehicles: a Dodge Ram, Chevy Suburban, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and my Subaru Crosstrek. When I was younger, we had 6 at one point. Ignore all of these anti-car people. Everyone of age should have their own car.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Sounds cool.

I'd actually much prefer folks like you then douchey 20 something's who arrive here and all of a sudden think they're the ****.

I'd say that if you can swing around $3.5k per month fixed then you'll be living just fine in a nice 1 bedroom.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:22 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There are parts of the city where you can keep all three cars easily. My current household has 4 vehicles: a Dodge Ram, Chevy Suburban, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and my Subaru Crosstrek. When I was younger, we had 6 at one point. Ignore all of these anti-car people. Everyone of age should have their own car.
The anti car folks in NY are from either 2 categories;

1) transplants who have "heard" that you don't need a car in NYC " because, like, you know, the subway is so awesome and you can take it anywhere and it's like 24 hours and it goes to so many places and it's only like $100/month. And like you know, I didn't come from the midwest to drive in NYC because like Mayor Bloomberg even took the subway, like you an even see celebrities on the subway, like..."

or

2) singles/couples without kids.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:28 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Actually I have had 2 cars in my life. I was simply noticing all his posts talked about cars.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:59 PM

I just think that without a car in the big apple you become to reliant on others, I would feel better having my own vehicle there knowing I can come and go whenever I choose.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Nice selection of cars.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:46 PM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
There is nothing too complicated to moving your car to the other side of the street on alternating days. But I would suggest bringing the most basic reliable transportation that you have.

Other than a trip to the grocery on weekends to load up, an occasional trip to Long Island, or a dinner out when I don't want to walk home from the subway, that Metro Card 30 day unlimited is more than satisfactory. Sure is easier than paying to park a car and you will find that gas stations are not on every major intersection like maybe you experience in VA.

You can do interesting stuff every weekend without getting in a car at all. 3 of us did a walk not long ago from Union Square to the UWS, mainly for lunch at Carmine's on B'way at W 91st. We leisurely strolled along 5th Ave, like tourists without cameras, stopped for a Starbucks, roamed around Central Park and then ate like pigs. Then we walked back downtown to MOMA then caught the subway back home. That killed the better part of the day and we got a lot of exercise walking.

You could do crazy stuff like this nearly every weekend I bet. In my family, these times often revolve around finding new dining adventures and lots of walking.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 PM

295 posts, read 281,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
It's an odd thread but I am serious about giving it a try. Usually a troll comes onto a forum and badmouths a certain city or town, I'm not talking bad about any part of NYC, I simply have a curiosity and I've been a professional in the automobile business for many years, I know a lot about them.

I'm not trolling I was mainly curious if anyone had ever said to themselves let's try city life for a year, you only live once you know.
I did that. I was living in Colorado and thought I'd stay with my sister on e68th street for a few months, take some music classes, do some temp work, and go back out to Colorado. I never went back (except on vacation). That was 25 years ago.

There's a lot of pharmaceutical work in the area but most of it is in NJ. Your wife will probably need a car for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City