U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:40 PM

814 posts, read 653,589 times

Advertisements

Hello, I would like to live in one of the five boroughs of NYC for year, January to January, experience all 4 New York seasons plus the Christmas holiday, Bloomingdales, window displays, nutcracker on Broadway.

I have 3 cars so parking would be important, what borough offers the best parking?

I'm in my early 40's and this is something the wife and I have discussed as something we would like to do, 1 year and then gone. We both have decent paying jobs and bring in annually a little over 100k. I have technical trade skills and she has a degree in business and 10 years managerial experience in the pharmaceutical business. I went to school for mechanics and got into the Audi Military Veterans to Technicians Program, most of my European experience actually comes from Volkswagen but Audi is basically a more expensive Volkswagen. I also worked on military vehicles and equipment while living in Germany.

Our kids are older, we have what we need in life, so why not be young again and rent one year in a NYC borough, we would like only a one year lease then we'll be moving on.

Have any other older couples ever done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:49 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,273,760 times
Not sure if this is a serious post or not.....

Where do you live now?

You say you have decent jobs. Okay. Do you expect to work while you're in NYC or is this a one year vacation?

If you're expecting to get a job here, don't be too optimistic. But if you need the job, please secure it before you come...

You say you want to live in any of the 5 boroughs, but each borough offers something different.

And please reconsider bringing even one car, never mind three.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 PM

7,945 posts, read 6,513,645 times
Make this the last on your list.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:45 AM

As far as jobs go in the world of cars if you have experience within that product line it's rather easy to network within that group and land a gig. In today's high tech world wether it be in cars or something other, anyone with technical skills can pretty much get a job anywhere in the country, I currently live in Virginia and a few weeks ago I had a guy wanting to know if I we would be interested in at least coming up to interview in Delaware of all places. Tech skills pay the bills and the field is wide open, they're looking for technicians all over the United States.

Obviously I wouldn't bring 3 cars but I would bring 1, I'm not relying on trains and subways, if I wanted to get somewhere on a weekend to escape the city and catch a break then I'm going to get in my car and go.

I do think it would be a life experience to live in NYC for a year, I think beyond that it would get to be too much, there is a lot that goes on in that place, it's very big.

I would like to explore all 5 boroughs, I may be the only person left on the planet that believes NYC is more then just Manhattan. Around Christmas time Manhattan would be amazing with the window displays and such but in my own opinion unless you're a finance person, NY Times writer, or perhaps a performer on Broadway, I see no real good reason to live in Manhattan other then it's trendy and you can say that you live there.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:28 AM

545 posts, read 761,758 times
just to let you know... Staten Island is less a part of "New YOrk City" than Hudson County NJ. Jersey City, Hoboken and that area might as well be another borough, they are that intertwined with Manhattan. Staten Island feels like most parts of North Jersey... just a congested suburb

Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 AM

10,653 posts, read 20,812,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
I have 3 cars so parking would be important, what borough offers the best parking?
What do you mean by the best parking? Do you mean the cheapest? The cheapest is parking on the street in areas that don't have alternate side suspension rules (if you don't know what that is, you can look it up). The problem is that those areas are also the most isolated, quiet and possibly boring areas. They are basically like suburban/residential areas but located inside of NYC.

I suggest you figure out what your budget is overall for renting and also renting a parking space and go from there. You can check craigslist parking and storage for some general idea of renting a space in the outer boroughs. In Manhattan, it's generally larger garages that don't advertise on craigslist.

The other thing you will want to look into is the 40x rental requirement. It can be very hard to come here and find an apartment without a job lined up first. Landlords don't tend to look favorably on this.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:05 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,109,287 times
This could be a really fun or horrendous experience, but hell I'd probably try to do something like this too. Look into the eastern/northwestern Bronx or a good majority of Queens if you're going to be driving to work or take your chances with parking in the closer portions (to Manhattan) areas. I don't think you'd be happy for long parking in much of Manhattan unless your company provides you parking.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:30 PM

It would be really fun, especially at our stage in life where we have money saved, we both have employable skills and experience in our chosen fields, and it would be one of life's adventuers.

If we do it we wouldn't bring much, most likely get a small uhaul to bring our bed and a few other things and hook it up to our Dodge truck and let the 5.7 liter Hemi do its thing. I would surely bring the truck cause I would not be stuck in New York without 4wheel drive.

We have a home here in Virginia so when the year was up we would just come back here pick up life where we left off.

I don't know, it would be a bucket list thing, 12 months in the big apple.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:33 PM

624 posts, read 706,196 times
Bring just 1 car if any. Parking is difficult almost everywhere in the 5 boroughs. I would first figure out your budget and which neighborhoods you like. If street parking is a problem you may need to pay for a garage which monthly is anywhere from $120 in cheap areas of the Bronx to $500+ in trendy parts of Manhattan.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:30 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,543,259 times
My first thought is that no one in his right mind brings three cars to NYC.

Other than that, a fun idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City