U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:15 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times

Advertisements

Before anyone starts grousing, this is about a specific point, not the general news item that WIHS2006 posted.

I don't know about everyone else, but to me this huffy grandstanding of the PBA telling the mayor not to come to police funerals highlighted one of the worst aspects of the police (maybe a legacy of Giuliani?) - that they expect people like the mayor to back them up no matter what. At the same time it highlighted what to me is one of the worst aspects of unions, to support a member no matter what. If any of you have ever been in a situation like when my building battled for years to fire an incompetent super, you'll know what I mean.

Funny that the president's name is Lynch.

PBA to de Blasio, Melissa Mark-Viverito: Stay home if we die - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 02:23 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
Why should the mayor be allowed to play politics on the graves of the city workers he hates the most? And yes, he HATES cops, even to the point of making sure his kids know it. F'him.

Hopefully, his funeral comes before that of the next hero cop, making this a moot point. The unfortunate truth is that likely won't happen.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:42 PM

250 posts, read 217,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Before anyone starts grousing, this is about a specific point, not the general news item that WIHS2006 posted.

I don't know about everyone else, but to me this huffy grandstanding of the PBA telling the mayor not to come to police funerals highlighted one of the worst aspects of the police (maybe a legacy of Giuliani?) - that they expect people like the mayor to back them up no matter what. At the same time it highlighted what to me is one of the worst aspects of unions, to support a member no matter what. If any of you have ever been in a situation like when my building battled for years to fire an incompetent super, you'll know what I mean.

Funny that the president's name is Lynch.

PBA to de Blasio, Melissa Mark-Viverito: Stay home if we die - NY Daily News

Don't come to our funerals, but we would like for you to settle for a new contract with pay raises!

You have a mayor who is sympathetic to the unions and you pull this kind of stunt? Stupid is not a strong enough word to describe this.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,289,133 times
Lynch is a disgrace. He is preaching to his choir & alienating the rest of the city & the rest of the city is where the cops will, or won't have their back when on the streets. We all saw the video of the man killed by 5 armed cops for selling loose cigarettes & Lynch denies that a choke hold was used even as the video plays while he lies to us. Many people believe that if you repeat a lie enough it will be accepted as truth but this time we can see the reality of what happened.

He is contributing to erode the respect for cops at exactly the wrong time.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Lynch is a disgrace. He is preaching to his choir & alienating the rest of the city & the rest of the city is where the cops will, or won't have their back when on the streets. We all saw the video of the man killed by 5 armed cops for selling loose cigarettes & Lynch denies that a choke hold was used even as the video plays while he lies to us. Many people believe that if you repeat a lie enough it will be accepted as truth but this time we can see the reality of what happened.

He is Roger Goddell's alternate ego. When he is not lying to your face, he feigns ignorance.

Concussion?! What? That's no concussion! That's just the mile high air getting to you. Go out there and play!

Old 12-13-2014, 03:20 PM

2,971 posts, read 1,534,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

It wasn't a chokehold!

Old 12-13-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
It wasn't a chokehold!
You really expect libbies to know the difference between fighting moves? Think of what kind of "chokehold" they are used to.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:30 PM

535 posts, read 513,644 times
The problem with all unions is they don't protect innocent good hard workers because they don't need protection. Their good conduct and work protect them. Unions protect the bad, corrupt and abusive elements whether it's bad supers or handymen in buildings or cops. That's why I don't like unions.

The public needs a union to protect them from abusive cops that will help members of the public pressing criminal charges against cops, suing cops and the department, and holding prosecutors and judges who protect abusive cops and jailers accountable as well.

Cameras is a step in the right direction but all complaints against cops should be investigated by an independent public council with no members having ever had immediate family members who were cops/judges/prosecutors and there should be an independent prosecutor who never works with police who should prosecute cops.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You really expect libbies to know the difference between fighting moves? Think of what kind of "chokehold" they are used to.
Libbies like Glenn Beck and George Bush who though the cops choked Eric Garner and were dismayed at the fact that they weren't indicted?

See, that the problem with this country and people like you. Everything to you is left or right, not right and wrong. Bush can torture but Obama can't.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM

If I was talking about Glenn Beck or GWB, I would have used a different term. For you, it's libby. Don't assume that someone who uses non-PC terms doesn't know who deserves which label.

Guess what I call LZ Granderson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City