Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 AM

624 posts, read 977,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Does one area have more prewar buildings than the other?
I would suspect UWS but I may be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM

307 posts, read 632,642 times
The difference? Nowadays, almost nothing. UES is bigger with less subway access (for now), and its easier to find a reasonably priced apt (East of first ave).

As far as stores, restaurants, nightlife, people, etc. just imagine a huge mirror running right down the middle of central park, from 96th to 61st.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:07 AM

27,294 posts, read 28,366,245 times
Whenever I take my family to visit Central Park I park on one of the streets in the UES, usually in Carnegie Hill. I don't know why.

Maybe next time I should park in the UWS for a change.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 AM

2,621 posts, read 3,390,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
The difference? Nowadays, almost nothing. UES is bigger with less subway access (for now), and its easier to find a reasonably priced apt (East of first ave).

As far as stores, restaurants, nightlife, people, etc. just imagine a huge mirror running right down the middle of central park, from 96th to 61st.

So what are example price (rent) quotes for "a reasonably priced apt. (East of First Ave." in the UES for a studio and for a one-bedroom?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 AM

307 posts, read 632,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
So what are example price (rent) quotes for "a reasonably priced apt. (East of First Ave." in the UES for a studio and for a one-bedroom?
Under 3k per month?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:35 AM

624 posts, read 977,985 times
I'd also mention that the 4,5,6 trains from UES to downtown are pretty awful. They run very frequently but they are always fully packed during rush hour. That second ave line is badly needed.

I haven't tried it myself, but I would suspect the B and C trains servicing the UWS would be not as crowded because most people coming from uptown and the BX will take the A and D express trains. The local B and C run much less frequently which could make commuting to/from the UWS for work and fun take longer and require more transfers.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:45 AM

2,621 posts, read 3,390,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Under 3k per month?
It just goes to show us how astronomical housing prices have become over the course of time in New York City and environs, that one would be asked to pay up to $3000.00/month for even a studio and consider that to be "reasonable" . . . even if it is the Upper East Side or Yorkville neighborhoods of Manhattan (for it would hardly be too different in other neighborhoods and sections of Manhattan by-and-large). I can't conceive of parting with so much money each single month just for rent alone and for a studio at that . . . not to mention all the other costs-of-living added on top of that each month.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM

575 posts, read 668,556 times
UES = Old money

UWS = New money

This is a somewhat tongue in cheek reply.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM

27,294 posts, read 28,366,245 times
Quote:
It just goes to show us how astronomical housing prices have become over the course of time in New York City and environs, that one would be asked to pay up to $3000.00/month for even a studio and consider that to be "reasonable" . . . even if it is the Upper East Side or Yorkville neighborhoods of Manhattan (for it would hardly be too different in other neighborhoods and sections of Manhattan by-and-large). I can't conceive of parting with so much money each single month just for rent alone and for a studio at that . . . not to mention all the other costs-of-living added on top of that each month.
The UES is basically for the richest of the rich, as if to state the obvious.

There are many properties there that are valued in the tens of millions of dollars.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:57 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,753,593 times
Quote:
Let someone who works in the field answer this.

From stuff i actually show, seen, rented to clients. Studios range from $1500-$2300 east of first ave. 1BRs from $1849-$2500 east of first ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City