Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 05:42 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm pretty sure they don't have only kiosks and people who choose to go to a cashier can do so.

Your "discount" is not having to deal with "customer service" who take 5 tries before getting your order right!
I agree with this. My sister likes to get a double hamburger, which isn't a menu item. They do offer a double cheeseburger. She has to order a double cheeseburger w/no cheese. Almost every time she does this the cashier looks at her with a "uhhh" look on their face and it creates a whole discussion. If this is anything like Wawa I am very excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,805,838 times
Actually, my local Whole Foods has a wine and tapas bar where you order at an iPad before sitting down. At first I was taken aback, but it works quite well and they do not except tips- but have a tip jar which goes to a charity. Now, as the bartender/waitstaff, I'm not sure that I would appreciate this, but hopefully they are being compensated with a higher salary.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,528,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
We continue to promote a country of laziness and it's a shame those service stations turned into what they have. Nothing is more Americana then taking the old 55 for a cruise down Route 66 and stopping at one of those service stations and getting a cold glass bottle of Coca Cola from the machine which had a its own bottle cap opener built into it.

We as a country have selfishly and stupidly destroyed just about everything that represented what our nation was and quite frankly it turns my stomach. I can only hope that a huge electromagnetic pulse comes through and wipes out just about every electronic device we ever invented.

So every time you need to get cash out from the bank or deposit a check you go and line up for the cashier?

While the rest of us use the ATM.

Which one of those two represents our nation? Technological wizardry or stuck-in-the-mud "that's they way I've always done it" repetition.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,240,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I've seen these abroad but not domestically until now.

I don't see this as a net negative at all and I support raising the minimum to $15. Why?

Of course some or many low wage jobs will be eliminated but that's not a bad thing. As it stands now, the taxpayer is subsidizing businesses who employ extremely low wage workers (relative to each cities minimum COL; in NYC that's prob around $13- $15/hr).

Some will see their wages rise and some will lose their job. Those that lose their job will either find new work (desperation creates initiative in some; some will retrain , some will move to areas with a shortage of labor, etc) or will go on the government dole. I suspect that the net benefit will be less government support of low wage workers overall as only so much can be automated.

For example; If the government supports 1,000 low wage workers to the tune of $10 / year = $10,000
If the minimum wage is hiked to $15/hr and let's say 400 workers (automation cuts the workforce by 40% which is generous) are cut and now the government has to completely support them to the tune of $20/year (in essence the govt was subsidizing low wage employers to the tune of 100%), now the payout for the government is only $8,000. Net benefit.

The important questions are:

A. what is the rate (percentage wise) of subsidization by each state government and the Federal government?
B. to what extent will the new minimum wage decrease that rate?
C. to what extent will automation increase unemployment?

This equation will be a net positive to society at a high enough minimum wage level (especially with corporate profits at record levels) but not too high that it hurts corporate competitiveness.
So $30,000/year, plus other expenses paid for by the employer (Social Security, Medicare, etc). for a job that takes two whole days of training? Many college grads don't make $30,000/year.

Back in the day, teenagers worked at McDonalds. Something changed over time, and now we have lots of single mothers (by choice) working at McDonalds and other low-skilled jobs. Of course they can not support their kid(s) on a McDonalds salary. But is it McDonalds fault that there are so many single mothers by choice?

If the minimum wage were raised to $15/hour tomorrow, I would shudder to think how long the lines would be at the unemployment office.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Raise the minimum wage to reflect reality, but eliminate welfare completely. Succeed or fail, your choice and your problem.
I have no problem with this but I would keep it for legitimately disabled people.

And with ending welfare also add ending governmental supported housing.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
So $30,000/year, plus other expenses paid for by the employer (Social Security, Medicare, etc). for a job that takes two whole days of training? Many college grads don't make $30,000/year.

Back in the day, teenagers worked at McDonalds. Something changed over time, and now we have lots of single mothers (by choice) working at McDonalds and other low-skilled jobs. Of course they can not support their kid(s) on a McDonalds salary. But is it McDonalds fault that there are so many single mothers by choice?

If the minimum wage were raised to $15/hour tomorrow, I would shudder to think how long the lines would be at the unemployment office.
I think for teenagers wanting to have a career in anything decent working in McDonalds is a waste of time at best. Certainly working at McDonalds doesn't look good on your resume or college applications. Basically you get what you pay for, pay the minimum and you are going to get the minimum employee. The type you just mentioned.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:42 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,805,838 times
Our son worked at Wendy's while in high school and it actually was a good experience learning how to work with people, doing everything from cashier to cook to cleaning restrooms.

Frankly, I think it is a good thing for a resume because it shows that he was/is willing to work and he kept with this part time job for nearly two years, while other kids were doing college app resume volunteer work (which he also did), high school clubs and sports, etc.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,199,452 times
Natural progression for a soul-less corporation like McDonalds...

Old 12-19-2014, 07:18 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,199,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think for teenagers wanting to have a career in anything decent working in McDonalds is a waste of time at best. Certainly working at McDonalds doesn't look good on your resume or college applications. Basically you get what you pay for, pay the minimum and you are going to get the minimum employee. The type you just mentioned.
I disagree for a kid most jobs are good. It's not going to be on your resume as an adult anyway.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:52 AM

15,803 posts, read 14,414,927 times
If by CEO, you mean owner, that fine. Most fast food franchises are locally owned independent business, that contract with a franchiser. It's the local business that hires and pays the workers. So if the local guy can make more money buy paying the lowest wages that the market will take, good for him. I'm fine with that.

BTW, a lot of the franchise owners started as workers in other franchise outlets, worked their way up to management, and got offered their own franchises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
That's what all this is really about,CEO greed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City