U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:50 PM

493 posts, read 365,554 times

Advertisements

What do parents do in NYC for schooling? I know obviously if you don't have it you don't have it. But for the amount of money it cost to live by me the schools are beyond terrible and the charters aren't much better. I looked into the charter schools since they been spoken about a lot in the media. When I went on the D.O.E website they weren't doing as well as expected. Many of them barley had 50% of their students reaching state standards. What are parents in NY expected to do? For all the money it cost to live here shouldn't the schools be better. I currently send my child to a religious school and although I am pleased with their academics they are missing in extracurriculars. But parents, what do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:03 PM

9,968 posts, read 8,460,132 times
Have kids? Don't have $$,$$$ a year for private school tuition and/or can't get you're kid into private school?

Time to head for the 'burbs.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:11 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,288,262 times
Keep in mind that public education in NYC is very accessible and it's often possible to send your children to better performing schools outside of their district. Also keep in mind that, at the schools that aren't performing up to standard on paper, they sometimes have gifted and talented programs within the existing structure which insulates those who are trying to learn from those who, for whatever reason, are having a difficult time learning or are just troublemakers. Yes, there are plenty of options that don't require fleeing the City or paying an insane amount for private school education.

Also note that, if you've worked with your child before s/he is of school age to where s/he is motivated, intelligent, and independent, then your child isn't likely to be a statistic even at the schools that are struggling to meet marks. Keep in mind that this is so largely because the equality of the school on paper as measured by test scores is often more of an indication of the quality of students before coming into the school rather than an indictment against the teaching staff who, if the students were unprepared before coming to the school and whose parents don't give a crap otherwise, can't be expected to work miracles for everyone.

Note: the failure by the OP to even acknowledge the reality outlined in my post tells me that the OP is more concerned with NYC public schools bashing than in finding low cost, quality public alternatives for his or her child. The OP has already made up his or mind mind and is merely seeking responses that preach to the choir.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 12-15-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 01:23 PM

I was thinking about moving to the burbs but i know once I sell my place I wont be able to move back. It just super hard many private schools in the city are half my income. The catholics schools arent bad but are seriously lacking.

Last edited by allnaturalkiki; 12-15-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 01:34 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,042,963 times
Your only options are:

- Public schools
- Catholic/religious schools
- Independent private schools

By now you know that in NYC, you need to pay to play. Is your child in elementary? The most common complaints I hear from parents whose kids came from the PS are large class sizes, diluting instruction in favor of "constructive learning" and more time spent preparing for standardized tests. Nearly all open enrollment schools face these issues and you will be hard pressed to find one that magically does not.

If you are happy with the academics in the religious school your child is attending, stay there and pay for extracurriculars outside the school. Maybe in a few years, your circumstances might change such that you can afford private school, move to the suburbs or your kid gets admitted to a specialized HS.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:40 PM

He is in Pre-K and will start kindergarden in the fall.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:53 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,042,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
He is in Pre-K and will start kindergarden in the fall.
OK. Unless you can no longer afford religious school today or those extracurriculars are very critical, it looks like you are thinking too far ahead beyond what you can control. I had a similar concern before my kid started schooling (could not find good PS in NYC) but when it came time for K, I could finally afford private school. Elementary in religious school should be fine and and buy you a few years till he's ready for middle school, which is 7 long years away. Who knows what your circumstances will be like in 7 years.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:01 PM

33 posts, read 30,030 times
Have you thought about looking into non-school extra curriculars? I'm sure there is a soccer program or karate class that is not run through the school... I agree with the above poster, I don't think sports and what not at the elementary level are that important... I went to a catholic elementary school and we didn't have any kinds of sports and very few clubs and I still weaved my way in once I got to middle school where more options were available.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:07 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,868,226 times
If I ever have kids I'm immediately leaving the city.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:09 PM

I can afford his school but im already paying an extra 250 a month between music, karate, art its a strain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or