Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 15,172 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just recently purchased an investment property and all the apartments are currently occupied.

Right now, the tenants are on a month-to-month lease and I'm supposed to receive my first rent payments Jan 1.

I'd like to give all the tenants an eviction notice tomorrow so they all move out by February 1.

The previous owners were really old and never paid attention to the property so the current tenants feel like they own the place, trashing the yard, peeing behind the house, accessing the basement/storage areas as they please and putting the heat in the apartments as high as they like while having a fan on and the windows open for fresh air in the middle of December while paying minimal rent.

I'd also like to convert the building into gas, instead of oil which is a pretty good reason to throw everyone out.

I'm asking for a professional opinion on what the best way about giving them the eviction notice would be.

My goal is to give them the notice tomorrow, December 15 so they get out in February 1. This is more than 30 days. I am also expecting them to pay me rent for Jan to Feb which I am certain some of them if not all of them will not pay me. (They are that kind of people.)

Should I audio/video record with my phone in my hand when I give them the notices, this way I have proof that gave it to them?

Should I write the oil to gas conversion reason in the notice?

I am afraid they will trash the place by breaking things on the way out. What safety precautions can I take to make sure they don't destroy my property?

I look forward to reading your advice.

Edit: If anyone knows a rockstar attorney for evictions please put their name/website/phone number below as well, so I can be prepared. Also, if anybody has the perfect form for the 30 day eviction notice please give me a link to it.

Last edited by bg2013; 12-14-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 02:50 PM

197 posts, read 517,662 times
I'm not sure how someone who has the money for an investment property even asks all these silly questions.

First you have to find out of if the tenants are Rent Stabilized, your "eviction" plans start there

No one needs to leave to do an oil to gas conversion, that is done in the basement and doesn't affect the piping/radiators in the building.

If you have thermostat trouble, put a lockbox on it and/or a code.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitmarsNY View Post
I'm not sure how someone who has the money for an investment property even asks all these silly questions.

First you have to find out of if the tenants are Rent Stabilized, your "eviction" plans start there

No one needs to leave to do an oil to gas conversion, that is done in the basement and doesn't affect the piping/radiators in the building.

If you have thermostat trouble, put a lockbox on it and/or a code.
I want to evict the tenants regardless if I convert to gas or no. You completely missed the point of my questions. They are not silly questions, I do have some of the answers, I just want to get other landlord opinions so I can take the best approach.

Please don't participate in this post if you have nothing to add beside insults.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
How many apts are there?

Old 12-14-2014, 03:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2013 View Post
I want to evict the tenants regardless if I convert to gas or no. You completely missed the point of my questions. They are not silly questions, I do have some of the answers, I just want to get other landlord opinions so I can take the best approach.

The silly part, it seems to me, is that these are questions you should have asked from experts before you bought, rather than asking afterward from strangers online.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:

Please don't participate in this post if you have nothing to add beside insults.
Well, are any of the unit rent stabilized? That's a huge factor in how you can move forward.

And if you make statements like,

Quote:
I'd also like to convert the building into gas, instead of oil which is a pretty good reason to throw everyone out.
It shows your pretty ignorant of even basic building maintenance. I'm guessing you saw the building being sold for a song, bought it, and figured all of the reasons the building was being sold a big discount would just work themselves out?

Old 12-14-2014, 03:51 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,022 times
Is this a house?

This seems like a one man show and nothing is legalized in papers and leases. Just tell them you are increasing the rent and providing them sufficient time to move out.

Is this a house or some mega complex that your brought where everything was by the book and there are copies of leases etc? Provide more details. Also, can you advise what ethnicity these tenants are because normal people don't pee where they live or eat.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:12 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/RakycOpICWs/hqdefault.jpg
Get the F out!

Old 12-14-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Is this a house?

This seems like a one man show and nothing is legalized in papers and leases. Just tell them you are increasing the rent and providing them sufficient time to move out.

Is this a house or some mega complex that your brought where everything was by the book and there are copies of leases etc? Provide more details. Also, can you advise what ethnicity these tenants are because normal people don't pee where they live or eat.
This is a 2 family home, all the tenants are on a month-to-month lease and I have them from the closing I just did a few days ago and they are signed by the sellers & their attorney that it's correct.

I am a Caucasian landlord, and they are also Caucasian. They have 0 respect for the property.

Thank you for your time.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:18 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
This is a 2 family home, all the tenants are on a month-to-month lease and I have them from the closing I just did a few days ago and they are signed by the sellers & their attorney that it's correct.

I am a Caucasian landlord, and they are also Caucasian. They have 0 respect for the property.

Thank you for your time.
Then just say, "Yo, your rent is going up $500 a month. Like it or leave it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: