U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 PM

651 posts, read 1,520,570 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I still have a Sprint plan with 3G speeds only (SERO). I'm thinking about upgrading to 4G but would like to hear people's opinions on the 4G speeds in NYC? Is it worth getting? I am mostly in Manhattan and Queens.

I will need the 4G speeds for my work as well so it will need to be reliable. So far I'm also using T-Mobile for my work and it's been satisfactory. I'm thinking about canceling T-Mobile and just using Sprint for personal and work. It's the cheaper option and better phones than T-Mobile.

Thank you for your opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:30 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Sprint sucks in NYC. Unless you've been grandfathered into some great plan or have an unbeatable corporate discount, don't bother with them.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:03 AM

651 posts, read 1,520,570 times
I do have a grandfathered plan for $50 unlimited everything (except talk at 500 minutes that I hardly use). So it's tempting to stick with them to save money. But I need to know how reliable their 4G is before I use them exclusively for as my business cell.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,086,754 times
Sprint is meh, countless times I find that I can't text or access my data at very odd points in the city (like the Macy's at 34th st). Still, I pay $30-35ish (+$16-18 for the phone) per month for 1GB data and unlimited everything else. Hard to put that in perspective given that when I do need it, it works adequately.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:40 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,914,518 times
When Sprint announced that "Cut my bill in half deal" I went over to one of their stores with my AT&T contract but they told me that my bill was too complicated and could not offer me this deal. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T and my wife has a 2gb data plan. In order for me to be qualified for this deal I would have to have a combined data plan. So the only plan that would work for me would be to get two unlimited everything plans for about $160 a month.

The only issue I have with AT&T is that I do not get any service in my work building and the phone I want to get has a locked boot loader so I can't root it. I was thinking about going to T-Mobile but their monthly bill would have been a lot more than what I'm paying now, they wanted around $180 for 2 phones a month with a $260 up front payment.

I would like to borrow/rent a sprint phone for a week and check out their service before I commit. I don't want to switch services and lose my unlimited data if their service sucks.

Last edited by deeken; 12-16-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 02:07 PM

913 posts, read 1,688,888 times
Sprint is the only carrier in NYC that has 4G phones without a 4G signal. They always launch 4G in other cities like Ohio first or wherever their headquarters are before NYC. I find this troubling because NYC is the center of the universe. Everything should launch in NYC before any other city. What's the point of having unlimited everything when one doesn't even have the signal or speed to use it?

To answer your question, their 4G is horrible because it doesn't exist yet. I think T-Mobile has the best 4G LTE and plans available.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:30 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,192,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Hi,

I still have a Sprint plan with 3G speeds only (SERO).
I also have a very old SERO plan with Sprint. I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 and get 4G service pretty much everywhere in the city. I spend most of my time in Queens and Manhattan as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Everything should launch in NYC before any other city.
Many companies launch new services in medium sized cities before New York because they know there's going to be plenty of bugs to work out post-deployment. It's better launch in a smaller city, figure out what needs to be fixed and improved, then expand to a massive city. Their resources would be too strained by simply making NYC their launch customer.

Off the top of my head, look at Verizon FiOS and Google Fiber for similar examples.

Quote:
To answer your question, their 4G is horrible because it doesn't exist yet
Interesting. I wonder why I'm currently looking at 4 bars of 4G LTE service on my Sprint phone?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:26 PM

Are you on that fake 4G that Sprint use to have called WiMax?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 PM

1,780 posts, read 754,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Sprint is the only carrier in NYC that has 4G phones without a 4G signal. They always launch 4G in other cities like Ohio first or wherever their headquarters are before NYC. I find this troubling because NYC is the center of the universe. Everything should launch in NYC before any other city. What's the point of having unlimited everything when one doesn't even have the signal or speed to use it?

To answer your question, their 4G is horrible because it doesn't exist yet. I think T-Mobile has the best 4G LTE and plans available.
Except I find their 4G LTE service spotty when indoors. Outdoors is okay but indoors...very, very spotty or non-existent. I thought it was only me when I googled T-mobile's service and others have said the same thing. That inside, it's hard to access the internet but once you step out doors, you get it no problem.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:10 PM

I find T-Mobile has exceptional reception and their 4G LTE is great. The best part is, they offer wifi calling, so it's hard to get bad reception indoors when ones wireless router turns into a signal tower. The phone automatically connects to the router. All carriers should jump on the bandwagon.

Sprint made the mistake of investing in WiMax when everyone else was doing LTE. AT&T and T-Mobile both had 4G before everyone else but their 4G was really 3G on steroids, but it was still better than just standard 3G.

Sprint is losing customers left and right and their plans are confusing. Even Verizon and AT&T have confusing plans. T-Mobile has the most simplified plans ever and now they're offering rollover data for data customers don't use, will get carried over to the next month. Tray cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City