U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 05:25 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,770,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
Personally not a big fan of the area. I agree the renovations are nice, but I think when buying an apt you should look at the location, floor plan, and monthly costs more than a renovation.

Renovation styles come and go and you can always renovate an older unit... but layout, location and monthly costs cannot be changed.

It depends whats most important to you though of course. A good amount of co-ops allow pets, most won't have W/D in unit though, but almost all will have it in the building.

Personally for the same money I would say JH or FH.
I agree with all of this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 PM

913 posts, read 1,693,416 times
Anything next to Starbucks, Target, a mall, and Best Buy is considered already trendy and built up. It's passed up and coming years ago.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Anything next to Starbucks, Target, a mall, and Best Buy is considered already trendy and built up. It's passed up and coming years ago.
I guess we have different definitions of trendy. In my mind, that area does not fit any definition of trendy.

Also, "trendy" and "built up" are completely different concepts.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:59 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,239,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Skyview Parc is in Flushing, which is a different area.

However, if your point is that condos are doing very well with Chinese people in certain areas (including Elmhurst) then I would say I totally agree with you. It's my perception there's a lot of Chinese money floating around, and that developers are trying to sell condos to Chinese.
Yeah, it all speculation as to how much the area can grow and if it will reach Elmhurst from Flushing. Whoever buys there should perform their own due diligence. China has the biggest population as a country and their economy continues to grow, from a sheer numbers stand point they will have a lot of people who can afford to buy property oversees. They are going to want to live in a Chinese community preferably in NY, LA, and SF (at least when they first arrive). Where they can get by with speak the native language and eat similar food as back home.

Quote:
So my guess is that the area where this coop is will become more Chinese. I have noticed that the Chinese who have immigrated here in the recent past do not have much of a sense of aesthetics and the areas that contain a lot of Chinese do not tend to be particularly attractive areas. There may be a whole set of other types of Chinese who could build really beautiful areas, but they must be the Chinese who are either staying in China or moving to areas that are not Queens and Brooklyn. Just my opinion.
There are different types of people coming from china with different educational background and stages in life. For example, a student studying in NYU might prefer to rent in a Chinese community for a few years then move on to Manhattan/Brooklyn where they can experience the lifestyle they saw in the movies growing up. Old Chinese person might not care as long as it near a Chinese community (can speak only native language).

Old 12-16-2014, 06:52 PM

I like that they always make an area safe.

It's only dirty and messy if they keep opening tons of supermarkets and restaurants that don't know how to control their garbage when being thrown out.

If there's a Starbucks then the area is built up. STARBUCKS wouldn't open a store unless they knew the area is populated and they can generate revenue and keep the incoming rising. Why do you think starbucks refuses to open in a black neighborhood? Because they know there's no clientele there and the people in those areas (EAST NY) don't have a steady high income. Social security and unemployment money doesn't count.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I like that they always make an area safe.

It's only dirty and messy if they keep opening tons of supermarkets and restaurants that don't know how to control their garbage when being thrown out.

If there's a Starbucks then the area is built up. STARBUCKS wouldn't open a store unless they knew the area is populated and they can generate revenue and keep the incoming rising. Why do you think starbucks refuses to open in a black neighborhood? Because they know there's no clientele there and the people in those areas (EAST NY) don't have a steady high income. Social security and unemployment money doesn't count.
Oh PLEASE stop turning every thread into your race baiting nonsense. I hope you get banned. You are like a boring race-baiting one-trick pony.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:15 PM

Why are you upset that I keep it real?

Is there a Pinkberry in Harlem? Is there a Saks 5th Ave in Harlem or Jamaica or East NY? You know why so stop pretending everything is NOT all rainbows and butterflies when people have a problem with color! The only thing in those areas are the Free Clinic.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Why are you upset that I keep it real?

Is there a Pinkberry in Harlem? Is there a Saks 5th Ave in Harlem or Jamaica or East NY? You know why so stop pretending everything is NOT all rainbows and butterflies when people have a problem with color! The only thing in those areas are the Free Clinic.
So make your own thread where you can spew all your black-hating bias in one place, instead of infusing it into every single thread you stop to poop on. This thread is about a coop in Elmhurst. Your posts are completely off topic and don't belong here.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,417,950 times
Quote:
Skyview Parc is in Flushing, which is a different area.

However, if your point is that condos are doing very well with Chinese people in certain areas (including Elmhurst) then I would say I totally agree with you. It's my perception there's a lot of Chinese money floating around, and that developers are trying to sell condos to Chinese.

So my guess is that the area where this coop is will become more Chinese. I have noticed that the Chinese who have immigrated here in the recent past do not have much of a sense of aesthetics and the areas that contain a lot of Chinese do not tend to be particularly attractive areas. There may be a whole set of other types of Chinese who could build really beautiful areas, but they must be the Chinese who are either staying in China or moving to areas that are not Queens and Brooklyn. Just my opinion.
I do get your point, but Chinese and Asians in general have been sweeping away all the real estate in Northeastern Queens which in my opinion as having grown up in NYC is the most beautiful overall. The housing stock and the sheer amount of attached homes and boxy coops in NYC in general wasn't meant to be attractive, but to house the poor and working class.

As for the Chinese money floating around, I haven't seen it myself yet, no one is knocking down my door offering all cash offers like in Cali. All the Chinese people that I know buying the condos in Flushing and Forest Hills and houses Northeastern Queens are either white collar workers with decent six figure incomes, business owners, or have existing properties that have appreciated significantly to leverage off from. I'm nosy so I look up the mortgage amounts of homes that get sold by me and I haven't seen one that's all cash. Most just put down a couple of hundred thousand dollars.

Now back to the topic, what is the OP looking for in the neighborhood other than a place to sleep? If he/she wants to walk to shopping then Elmhurst, quicker commute and potential up and coming then JH, a clean well established middle income and up neighborhood with good schools and decent restaurants then FH.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I do get your point, but Chinese and Asians in general have been sweeping away all the real estate in Northeastern Queens which in my opinion as having grown up in NYC is the most beautiful overall. The housing stock and the sheer amount of attached homes and boxy coops in NYC in general wasn't meant to be attractive, but to house the poor and working class.

As for the Chinese money floating around, I haven't seen it myself yet, no one is knocking down my door offering all cash offers like in Cali. All the Chinese people that I know buying the condos in Flushing and Forest Hills and houses Northeastern Queens are either white collar workers with decent six figure incomes, business owners, or have existing properties that have appreciated significantly to leverage off from. I'm nosy so I look up the mortgage amounts of homes that get sold by me and I haven't seen one that's all cash. Most just put down a couple of hundred thousand dollars.

Now back to the topic, what is the OP looking for in the neighborhood other than a place to sleep? If he/she wants to walk to shopping then Elmhurst, quicker commute and potential up and coming then JH, a clean well established middle income and up neighborhood with good schools and decent restaurants then FH.
In terms of aesthetics, I was thinking more of the commercial areas, specifically the stretch on Broadway in Elmhurst near where this building is. It's particularly jarring to have all those signs, one bigger than the next, fighting each other for how loud they can be.

The Chinese money that I've heard about is foreign Chinese investors, not necessarily people who already live here. I know that there are some new condo developments that are specifically trying to attract this type of money.

I just did a Google search and there have been some articles about this phenomenon
NY Times: Chinese Invest in Queens Real Estate, August 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or