U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM

10,626 posts, read 20,764,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You should list the downside of Jackson heights, it is by far the poorest and uneducated area in queens. If cost of living continues to rise while salary remains flat, it is the most likely place people will turn to criminal activities. It is known for illegal basement apartments. You would not want to have your kids go to school in that neighborhood, it is why people turn to forest hills as a better option.
Have you been to the Jackson Heights historic district? Or have you only ridden the train through and passed over Roosevelt Ave?

Btw, here's a recent renovation on an apartment in the historic district. THE Kinfolk Home Tours: THE CLASSIC SEVEN - Kinfolk (slide show runs horizontal across the top) And the NY Times Hunt column has featured JH houses and apartments 3 times in the past year.

At the Jackson Heights farmer's market every Sunday there are people lining up to buy expensive grass fed beef and scallops for $22 a pound. But you don't know there's that kind of money there because I suspect you've never been there.

It's not all rich and educated people living there, but to portray it the way you have is just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 10:44 AM

10,626 posts, read 20,764,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefgnewyork View Post
eddiep83- The apartments I am looking at are 2 bedroom. The one I saw was about 920 square foot. I am second guessing my decision now. I prefer to live as close to the train as possible which is why I liked where the building was located.
I think if that's one of your primary concerns, that might be a good area for you. I know two couples who live in the area (one in that very coop building as renters) and they both seem to be relatively happy there, at least, having it as an affordable place to sleep at night. I don't think either of them is enamored of the neighborhood offerings, but the location is good, the trains are convenient, and it's not that bad for living purposes.

I think you should also look at other train stops, like have you looked by the 67th Ave stop or 63rd stop in Queens on the M/R?

Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,417,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
People don't report it as much but queens is going through gentrification. For the exception of Astoria and LIC, the Asian version of gentrification (rest of queens) will look different compared to Brooklyn.
I think its because non-Asians don't really care about Asians turning warehouse dumps into luxury condos. The mainstream media certainly doesn't pay any attention to it and on internet forums people just like to twist the truth and pick out all the bad from the overwhelming amount of good that's been accomplished.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:48 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,239,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I assure you, Queens is not flying under the radar for people who keep up with the developments. Queens has a lot more potential than whats going on right now though. It is being developed in spite of, not with the help of, local politicians. Last census, Queens was the slowest growing borough, which shouldn't be the case since it has such strong fundamentals for growth (low crime and lots of land with low population density compared to other boroughs).
Decent to wealthy Americans don't want to live next to poor people (you can see it with all the negative threads about NYCHA and affordable housing), but Asian community don't know or care (look at the NYCHA building in front of Sky View Parc and Target mall). In Beijing it very common for wealthy and poor to live closely. If people go to all the luxury stores in 5th avenue in Manhattan they will notice the majority of people spending are Asian. From a developers point of view the fundamentals point to queens being a great target market for them.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:11 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,239,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Have you been to the Jackson Heights historic district? Or have you only ridden the train through and passed over Roosevelt Ave?
I have been there (near the 7 train) for the best Hispanic food in all of NYC and went real estate shopping in the area (otherwise I wouldn't know queens so well). Every townhouse I saw was in need of renovation and the selling agent tried to pitch the potential for renting the basement. The majority of townhouses were single family homes converted into multi-family homes.

Anyway, it is fine if we have different opinion of the neighborhood. I was probably a little extreme with the scenario I described, but people should be prepared to handle such a scenario if they buy in that neighborhood. I have had people say out loud in the train it preferable they ask for charity than they go around stealing (I learned Spanish in school).

I wouldn't trust news media publication, they have motivation to sell you advertisement for the area. Real estate in NY is big business, news media revenue is declining (easy cash). Look at the hype train that is Brooklyn, trying to convince people it safe in the up and coming neighborhood. You can read the thread from the lady in crown heights recently or look up the NYC crime map to see how dangerous it really is.

Last edited by NYer23; 12-18-2014 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 AM

162 posts, read 334,452 times
Henna- Yes I looked into 67th and 63rd stops but it seems that the buildings are not brand new. They are all older buildings and nothing as close to the train. The stops are also further into queens.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 PM

499 posts, read 368,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefgnewyork View Post
Henna- Yes I looked into 67th and 63rd stops but it seems that the buildings are not brand new. They are all older buildings and nothing as close to the train. The stops are also further into queens.
The continental park was built in 1962, it was operating under a different name and went bankrupt. Now someone else bought the building and renovated the units.

for instance a studio on the "N" line they are asking around 200k, where as a similar studio sold for 71k in 2008 prior to the new renovation.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:09 PM

162 posts, read 334,452 times
Eddiep83- Yes I am aware of this. But as mentioned before the whole building will be gut renovated. When I went all the bricks have been replaced, roof and lobby were new. The front where the garden is going to be is all torn out and is in the process of rebuilding. This is another reason why I like the building, because everything would be brand new including the halls. Other co-op buildings that I have seen do not have the renovations that this building will eventually have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or