U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,333 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm new here and though I've searched the forum for answers to my question, I haven't found anything so please excuse me if I'm starting a new thread, when I shouldn't be.
I'm having a multitude of issues with my apartment but there's one thing that's become more urgent and since I just got off the phone with my landlord, regarding this, I'm just going to ask a question about this alone. I have a small two way fan on my living room window, which sits right behind the couch that I spend the majority of my time on. I use the fan for lots of reasons, but now the landlord is telling me to remove it. I use the fan because I am alternatingly hot and cold all day long (health and medication issues as well as female ones.) I use it to block out the noise of my downstairs neighbors television which would cause me to put my head through the wall, if I couldn't drown it out. I use it because there's no exhaust fan in the kitchen (mind you, the kitchen, living and dining space are all One room) and I do cook regularly, so I do find it necessary to remove cooking odors. I also use it because I smoke, but ONLY while sitting directly beside the exhaust fan.. never anywhere else. I don't want my house smelling like smoke anymore than it might already, and the fan does a good job of that.
So, I've explain all of this and initially the LL seemed understanding. The real issue is that his son is a real PRICK, he's the one who first showed up at my door at 10:15 pm demanding I remove the fan. The dad, who is my actual LL, was decent at first but apparently his son bitched about it enough, and today the dad called me to say he wants me to remove it.... and step onto the porch to smoke and cool off every time I need to. Please!!!!!!!! tell me, someone, can they insist that I take my fan out of my window, or not? I've also explained that if I do remove it, I'll have my window open all the time!!! I mean, really does it matter much if my window is open wide or open less with a small fan in it, which keeps the place from smelling and makes my life tolerable? he seemed even to be saying he'd expect me to close up all the windows, as if because he pays for the heat, it means I'm not allowed to have fresh air in here, which just seems insane to me.
please help me.... I did not remove the fan and now I'm feeling so anxious, waiting for another call, or a knock on the door or whatever!!!

Last edited by hlome; 12-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 01:25 PM

390 posts, read 370,728 times
well, he pays heat, i bet a lot of money was wasted because of your life style.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:32 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
well, he pays heat, i bet a lot of money was wasted because of your life style.
Right. My initial thought as well. The OP seems a bit ridiculous and I hope this isn't some phony post. Unless the OP is going to agree to pay the increased heating bill, then I hope that that the landlord is able to enforce such a rule. To be honest, the OP is a prime example at why I'm hesitating about investing in rental properties; I'm not looking forward to putting up with this sort of mess.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 9,990,552 times
Why not simply offer to pay the heating/cooling bill, or at least the amount above a previously established average; and also to perhaps to pay for any residual smoke smell remediation? -- See, it's not that big of a problem after all!

Old 12-16-2014, 02:35 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,666,121 times
what does the lease say? is there one? if utilities are included in the rent, yes, he can demand you remove it. unless you want him to start eviction proceedings, you can go ahead and keep the fan. it's December why do you need a fan?

Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
What's missing from your post (unless by eye is skipping over it), is what his initial reason was. I know you mentioned heat, but the way you phrased it, it doesn't sound as if that's the trigger. I'd have been interested to know if there's a window a/c for the summer, for instance, and if that's in your lease.

Try to be calm when communicating with him. There's nothing wrong with your politely saying, "You'd rather I was letting all the cold air in with the window completely open?" or "I'll check with the city, but I'm pretty sure you can't require that the windows stay closed."

Three other tips:
-I've found that smokeless ashtrays work surprisingly well
-If your female problem involves hot flushes, it wouldn't kill you to use a sweater.
-Check out a white noise machine

Old 12-16-2014, 04:17 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
I've never seen any kind of law that says a LL can prohibit a tenant from putting a fan in the window. That said, I have seen apartment ads where all sorts of things are prohibited, like over night guests, or air conditioners, etc. So I would advise you to read your lease very carefully. If there's nothing in your lease that prohibits it, then continue to use it. But be aware the LL will not be happy with you and will either not renew your lease when it comes time to do that, or jack the rent up at lease renewal, or in some other way make your life miserable while you live there.

Is the apartment rent stabilized?

Old 12-16-2014, 04:22 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlome View Post
Hello,
I'm new here and though I've searched the forum for answers to my question, I haven't found anything so please excuse me if I'm starting a new thread, when I shouldn't be.
I'm having a multitude of issues with my apartment but there's one thing that's become more urgent and since I just got off the phone with my landlord, regarding this, I'm just going to ask a question about this alone. I have a small two way fan on my living room window, which sits right behind the couch that I spend the majority of my time on. I use the fan for lots of reasons, but now the landlord is telling me to remove it. I use the fan because I am alternatingly hot and cold all day long (health and medication issues as well as female ones.) I use it to block out the noise of my downstairs neighbors television which would cause me to put my head through the wall, if I couldn't drown it out. I use it because there's no exhaust fan in the kitchen (mind you, the kitchen, living and dining space are all One room) and I do cook regularly, so I do find it necessary to remove cooking odors. I also use it because I smoke, but ONLY while sitting directly beside the exhaust fan.. never anywhere else. I don't want my house smelling like smoke anymore than it might already, and the fan does a good job of that.
So, I've explain all of this and initially the LL seemed understanding. The real issue is that his son is a real PRICK, he's the one who first showed up at my door at 10:15 pm demanding I remove the fan. The dad, who is my actual LL, was decent at first but apparently his son bitched about it enough, and today the dad called me to say he wants me to remove it.... and step onto the porch to smoke and cool off every time I need to. Please!!!!!!!! tell me, someone, can they insist that I take my fan out of my window, or not? I've also explained that if I do remove it, I'll have my window open all the time!!! I mean, really does it matter much if my window is open wide or open less with a small fan in it, which keeps the place from smelling and makes my life tolerable? he seemed even to be saying he'd expect me to close up all the windows, as if because he pays for the heat, it means I'm not allowed to have fresh air in here, which just seems insane to me.
please help me.... I did not remove the fan and now I'm feeling so anxious, waiting for another call, or a knock on the door or whatever!!!

What does your lease say?
Also, it is very inconsiderate of you to keep the fan in the window if you do not pay the heat bill.
Why not smoke outside and leave the fan on inside with the window closed to circulate the air better when cooking.
If you want to pay the heating bills and leave windows open and fans on then you should purchase your own place so your life can be more tolerable on your money being wasted on the heating that is going out the window.

Edited to add: Hot flashes can be eased with cold dill pickles, pedialyte, ice chips or amberen (or any other over the counter product for this purpose).
Being cold can be eased with a blanket across your lap, a sweater, sweatshirt, robe, jacket, long sleeve or a blanket wrapped around you until you get hot again.
If the prescription medication you are taking is causing some of these issues then speak to your doctor because you are either being over dosed, under dosed or having a reaction to that particular medication.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:31 PM

428 posts, read 450,474 times
TenantNet Forum • Index page

Old 12-16-2014, 07:04 PM

18,236 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Have heard of landlords prohibiting anything on ledges and or that hangs out of windows out of liability concerns. Our building does not allow in window AC units (there are wall sleeves), nor can you put flower pots or anything else out there as well. Fans are ok long as they are "inside" that is do not extend out into the window.

If this fan does not cause any such safety violation and your lease does not prohibit I'd tell the LL to go pound salt. If he says the lease does prohibit then I'd ask to be shown the exact clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or