U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 AM

237 posts, read 512,228 times

Advertisements

This is disturbing...I would watch your back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 06:30 AM

8,396 posts, read 19,699,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Back in my early teens (im in my mid 30's now) when my old crew would come across a target we would make notes of certain things and wait about 2-3 months before ever doing anything. Red Marker could be a blood symbol signalling you out. In that point of my life sometimes the thrill was knowing the target knew i/we were gonna do something and they would take all form of precautions and yet still outsmart them.

I hope its nothing but you should definitely get some form of record just in case. Pay close attention when you're in the lobby, try to take mental notes of who is around when you leave and come home in the morning/evening. You might see like 75% of the same faces you always see or people you know live in the building or somehow are always there. The other 25% is what you need to worry about. See who tries to look at you and quickly turn around when you look back at them or if someone grills you hard from the min you spot them until you turn back around.

I'm sorry if this sounds crazy but im just telling you how it was done in the early 90's.
What I suspected but didn't want to freak her out.

At least one of them knew her and where she lives at the time of the train encounter which is how they were there to greet her when she got home,even after a detour.They didn't have to follow her.

People who blithely move into neighborhoods like Crown Heights seem oblivious to the fact that they are being watched from day 1.

This could be a troll post. If it is,it's a good one.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-17-2014 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 12,620 times
That's also kind of what I suspected, but I was hoping that I was just overreacting. I'm a teacher and unfortunately some of my kids are involved with gangs, so I'm hyperaware of anything related to gang activity or signs.

I've been very aware of my surroundings since moving in, and have always been polite and courteous to neighbors and people I see on the street, so it's just kind of nuts to me that some kids would get so hyped up to the point of possibly making threats just because I made a face when they were fooling around on the train and I just wanted to get home after a long day.

It's also possible that it could have something to do with my roommates. One of my roommates has an abusive ex-bf who is extremely well connected in the neighborhood, but I feel like if he is really that well connected, he wouldn't need to do things like write the apt number on the wall, which is why I think it's less likely. That roommate has been staying elsewhere for the past few nights so I haven't been able to ask her if she thinks it's something he might do.

I'm really not sure what to do. I'm going to call the police after work today to just let them know what's going on, but I don't know how much that would help. There usually isn't anyone in the building lobby (small walk-up), but when I see someone in the lobby I go straight up to my apt without checking my mail. I come home before dark whenever possible, and I never unlock the building door unless I know who it is or I'm expecting someone, but this is seriously a miserable experience. My students are holding a cultural event after school until after dark, and I'm considering skipping it just so I can get home before dark

I have just over 6 months left on my lease that I co-signed with one of my roommates, so I can't break the lease, and if I wanted to leave I would have to find a subletter and find a new place ASAP. That feels like a really drastic option, but I'm so stressed out about this that I feel like that might be my only option short of waiting for something to happen or hoping that the police can do something

Old 12-17-2014, 08:54 AM

624 posts, read 707,117 times
Moving is probably a good option.

Do you really have to live in Crown Heights? Seriously parts of it are very rough. What area is your work? Maybe there is a better option within your budget which you can move to.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:59 AM

10,663 posts, read 20,825,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrooklyn View Post
if I wanted to leave I would have to find a subletter and find a new place ASAP. That feels like a really drastic option, but I'm so stressed out about this that I feel like that might be my only option short of waiting for something to happen or hoping that the police can do something
I also think you should move and find a subletter. You could always offer a $100 discount off the monthly rent in order to speed up the process of getting someone in there.

The thing is that even if nothing happens to you, you will be living in this kind of fear for the rest of the time you live there. The stress is going to eat away at you, not to mention making your life very restricted (such as trying to make it home before dark, which is very difficult in the wintertime).

Even if your job is near there, you don't have to live in the area where your job is. You can commute from a safer place.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM

1,944 posts, read 2,145,696 times
Its a good thing we have a tough-on-crime guy like Deblasio as mayor.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,750,054 times
Get the hell out of there. Don't wait to figure out who the mark is for; they won't care when it comes time for the event.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 12,620 times
I guess I'm hesitant to take that step because a) this is a crazy time of the year, both personally and work-wise, and b), I have a fairly limited budget. I'm a first-year teacher, and I'm in grad school, so there's not a lot of cash to spare and things are extremely stressful at the moment. The idea of trying to find an apartment and move ASAP is overwhelming, especially as the housing market isn't especially flush with apartments at the moment I work in downtown Brooklyn, and I need easy train access to get to and from work and grad school in Manhattan

Old 12-17-2014, 10:25 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,103,034 times
If you're scared, say you're scared.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:50 AM

5,360 posts, read 4,035,659 times
Simple solution here, start dating a cop. End of problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or