U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:57 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,256,748 times

Advertisements

OP this is scary. I would definitely watch your back. Keep your eyes and ears open, no headphones or cell phones or anything like that while you're out, and also talk to the police. Also talk to your roommate and see if they are aware of anything or have noticed anything strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 AM

996 posts, read 944,915 times
Call someone from Community Board 8 or "Save Our Streets." Tell an experienced Crown Heights adult resident your story, and get a neighborhood-based perspective on what the number means, what might be a good way to dial things back now. If you feel scared, express that to them.

Don't move. You're in the middle of a school year, and are probably trying to impress evaluators, etc. Lots of work pressure.

I live in eastern Crown Heights. The rental values are favorable, transportation excellent, but the littering is obnoxious. With respect, I think you should stop scolding teens on subways, no matter what disgusting or nasty thing you see (here, condom littering..) as long as it's legal. If it's not legal, then dial police. These are not your students to correct, and you have no particular authority -- unlike in the school building. Keep it all straight in your mind.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 12-17-2014 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 10:49 AM

20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
"Paranoia Strikes Deep.
Into Your Heart it Will Creep."

Try to forget it and remove the notations when you see them. Crap like this can destroy your feeling of well-being and these thugs know it.
It's the way dimwitted morons get their kicks.

They made a threat and they are actually terrorizing you. Perhaps reporting the incident to the police might be worth doing just to get the situation "on the books." If you see them again, take some pictures.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:10 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,831,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

They made a threat and they are actually terrorizing you. Perhaps reporting the incident to the police might be worth doing just to get the situation "on the books." If you see them again, take some pictures.
And the problem is - they know how to work the system, how to stay below the radar.

There have been several quite notable incidents in Harlem, not that they ever got any press. If they did, "investment groups" would have trouble renting and selling to people and lose $$$$$$$$$. According to them, everyone is just one big happy family here.

My point is, I think, that I would take this seriously. And you should visit the station right away and make complaints while keeping in mind that it won't help right now, especially in our current environment, except that the police might keep an eye out. It will definitely help if something happens. You will have the record, the history, and that's everything.

People would probably be surprised what needs to occur before harassment in the criminal sense can be identified.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:43 AM

237 posts, read 508,621 times
Since someone stated that this might be a gang thing, and they knew this from personal knowledge, then I would take that serious and take precautions.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:48 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,077,047 times
Next time you see them, make a face and say "I feel sorry for your mothers."

Fixed!

Old 12-17-2014, 12:01 PM

624 posts, read 702,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrooklyn View Post
I guess I'm hesitant to take that step because a) this is a crazy time of the year, both personally and work-wise, and b), I have a fairly limited budget. I'm a first-year teacher, and I'm in grad school, so there's not a lot of cash to spare and things are extremely stressful at the moment. The idea of trying to find an apartment and move ASAP is overwhelming, especially as the housing market isn't especially flush with apartments at the moment I work in downtown Brooklyn, and I need easy train access to get to and from work and grad school in Manhattan
Well one thing to consider is that even though there are less apartments on the market now it is much easier to find a deal in winter. For example one apartment building which goes normal market rate in the summer is now offering 1 month free for a 1 year lease and 2 months free for a 2 year lease. Brokers will also be more willing to negotiate the fee and more buildings may be offering no fee apartments.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:12 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,071,260 times
Moderator cut: Off-topic

getting back to the subject: there must be bloods in that building and your unit might be mistaken for one of them. I don't really know what you expect the nypd to do at this point tho, since no crime was committed.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-18-2014 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Off-topic

Old 12-17-2014, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 12,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
With respect, I think you should stop scolding teens on subways, no matter what disgusting or nasty thing you see (here, condom littering..) as long as it's legal. If it's not legal, then dial police. These are not your students to correct, and you have no particular authority -- unlike in the school building. Keep it all straight in your mind.
Oh, I would never have the audacity to actually scold anyone outside of school. I think I grimaced and shook my head when they weren't even looking directly at me.

Moderator cut: Orphaned comment

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-18-2014 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Orphaned comment removed

Old 12-17-2014, 01:57 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,274,980 times
Default large ethnic man with a dog

The red letters in the vestibule signal that you are a prime target of a home invasion robbery / rape, ethnically motivated attack. It is only a matter of time.

This behavior is collectively common among the demographic groups surrounding your apartment. NYPD has orders to stand down due to recent events so be aware that typical forms of societal protection are no longer available as many have been granted the moral license to engage in these transgressions.

Try to do everything you can to defend yourself from the antagonists while you have time to prepare. A dog or a large urban ethnic Catholic man (maybe a large ethnic Catholic man with a dog) may be your best protection against these marauders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or