U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2014, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Queens, NYC
150 posts, read 214,331 times
Reputation: 93

Advertisements

It could just be some child's play to be honest. I doubt it's a coincidence but could the number possibly be referring to something else?

Like you said, contacting police won't help with anything since it's not like they're going to protect you on a day to day basis for who knows how long.. Do you perhaps have anyone that can keep you company/protected? No matter what, just stay alert. I'd say carry some sort of weapon on you too just in case, you never know nowadays.

When exactly did you see this on the wall? Day after you made a face to some teens? Strange how you heard the teens call you out like that though..

Not sure if this needs to be taken seriously.. I mean, they can just be playing around since they didn't do anything on sight when they saw you in the lobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2014, 02:17 PM
 
9,936 posts, read 7,693,725 times
Reputation: 4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The red letters in the vestibule signal that you are a prime target of a home invasion robbery / rape, ethnically motivated attack. It is only a matter of time.

This behavior is collectively common among the demographic groups surrounding your apartment. NYPD has orders to stand down due to recent events so be aware that typical forms of societal protection are no longer available as many have been granted the moral license to engage in these transgressions.

Try to do everything you can to defend yourself from the antagonists while you have time to prepare. A dog or a large urban ethnic Catholic man (maybe a large ethnic Catholic man with a dog) may be your best protection against these marauders.
You need to post more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 02:17 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,829,145 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The red letters in the vestibule signal that you are a prime target of a home invasion robbery / rape, ethnically motivated attack. It is only a matter of time.

This behavior is collectively common among the demographic groups surrounding your apartment. NYPD has orders to stand down due to recent events so be aware that typical forms of societal protection are no longer available as many have been granted the moral license to engage in these transgressions.
Agree, except I would add, it was always difficult to gain police action in such matters.
I was speculating that it could now be worse but was not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 02:18 PM
 
9 posts, read 12,599 times
Reputation: 30
Well, when I ran into them in the lobby (in very early November), our mailman was also there. There was something unreadable on the wall the day after, but over a month later it appeared again later. It's pretty explicitly my apt number, our apts have floor # apt letter (like 4D for example) and it said exactly that. I really just can't think of any other reason why someone would write it on the wall. I'm planning on calling the cops just to get it on file or see if this is a thing that happens in the area, but I also don't really know what to say, like, I'm calling because there's something that is maybe sort of threatening? When I say it out loud it feels really silly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,829,145 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrooklyn View Post
Well, when I ran into them in the lobby (in very early November), our mailman was also there. There was something unreadable on the wall the day after, but over a month later it appeared again later. It's pretty explicitly my apt number, our apts have floor # apt letter (like 4D for example) and it said exactly that. I really just can't think of any other reason why someone would write it on the wall. I'm planning on calling the cops just to get it on file or see if this is a thing that happens in the area, but I also don't really know what to say, like, I'm calling because there's something that is maybe sort of threatening? When I say it out loud it feels really silly
They will probably recognize those gestures, in addition - you should have photographed the numbers. I would do so if something else appears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Queens, NYC
150 posts, read 214,331 times
Reputation: 93
I guess you can do that since the cops might recognize the type of behavior in your area.

Moderator cut: Off-topic

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-18-2014 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Off-topic statement removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM
 
10,613 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Reputation: 8155
This is a little more clear-cut, but it's also a similar threatening message written in marker on a Crown Heights apartment hallway wall just a few months ago.

Graffiti: Murder The Jew Tenant - Chabadinfo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,229 posts, read 964,713 times
Reputation: 3822
OP, it sounds like one of those guys saw your reaction to what they were doing. Bullies/marauders like to harass people because it gets them attention. They saw you REACT to them and now they know. They have put a chip in your armor and you are now exposed for continual harassment. Even if they never see you react to the writing on the wall, they are strangely secure and heartened by the fact that SOMEONE is thinking about them. Doesn't matter if it's negative, something is better than nothing.

I'd continue to take pictures and notate each and every time you see them. Store info in some kind of binder. Try to get descriptions, times of day, days of week, etc.....if you can sneak in a pic or 2 even better. This is in case something does happen, at least you have a timeline you can present to the police, instead of digging around in your head for prior events after the fact.

I grew up in South Jamaica Queens (haven't been back in 20 years but meh, that's another story). Because I lived there, we always knew when newbs moved in. They may not be looking directly at you, but they know. I've not been harassed like that, but for safety i'd walk toward the curb (or even in the street) at night. No headphones, keep your eyes open and scanning. Don't scurry along, maintain a quick pace but keep your shoulders back and head up, do not be embarassed to turn your head to note your surroundings now and again. Be aware, and don't be embarassed to duck into a store or even run

When i'm walking the dog today I still walk in the middle of the street, people think i'm crazy haha....old habits never die.....good luck OP. Hopefully they'll get bored and move on.

edit: if you have a small crossbody purse that lies flat, i'd even consider storing essentials in that, underneath the coat. If something gets snatched, all they got is a pocketbook full of makeup, etc....your real stuff is close in under your coat. Also no dangly earrings on the subway (they used to snatch years ago, not sure if they're doing that anymore lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY (Crown Heights/Weeksville)
996 posts, read 944,451 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrooklyn View Post
...I'm planning on calling the cops just to get it on file or see if this is a thing that happens in the area, but I also don't really know what to say, like, I'm calling because there's something that is maybe sort of threatening? When I say it out loud it feels really silly
It's not silly.

Don't overwork here. YOU don't have to analyze or decide whether it's threatening -- the police do.

You just tell them exactly what happened, the facts in sequence.

If they ask why you're calling, you could say "First, I'm reporting it and second, I need some personal safety advice. This second wall message makes me feel unsafe. I'm new so I don't understand what a wall message/apartment number means around here. Could it be a threat? ...What do you advise me to do if I see a 3rd wall message? ...or if the same people bother me again in public?... Any other advice?"

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 12-18-2014 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,632,656 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
It's not silly.

Don't overwork here. YOU don't have to analyze or decide whether it's threatening -- the police do.

You just tell them exactly what happened, the facts in sequence.

If they ask why you're calling, you could say "First, I'm reporting it and second, I need some personal safety advice. This second wall message makes me feel unsafe. I'm new so I don't understand what a wall message/apartment number means around here. Could it be a threat? ...What do you advise me to do if I see a 3rd wall message? ...or if the same people bother me again in public?... Any other advice?"
Every single time,without fail,that someone I know has asked the police such questions….and I've heard of it in Harlem,parts of The Bronx and parts of Brooklyn….the police have given the same advice…..move.
Every time I have heard of someone going to a station house and inquiring about the safety of areas such as Crown Heights,etc ,when wanting to move into such areas ,the police have given the same advice…..don't do it….move to a lower crime area.

The NYPD is well known for advising people to move out of /not move into such neighborhoods. I doubt it will be any different in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top