U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Red Hook has huge concentrations of housing projects, so Roosvelt Idland is safer. The gentrifying areas of Red Hook are a little removed from said projects, so it's not that bad. The bigger problem with Redhook though, is how far it is from the subway. Your trek to the subway will be brutal during the winter if you choose Red Hook.

Roosevelt Island is nice and tranquile, if not a little sterile. But it can be a nice reprieve from the hectic city pace. Cornel is building a tech campus on the south side of the island so expect there to be a population boon on the island once the campus opens its doors to students. That being said, aside from nice views of Manhattan, there is nothing particularly interesting about the island. It has a Starbucks, a big chain phramacy, supermarket and a subway restaurant but that is about it.

Your commute will likely be shorter from Roosevelt Island, but that really depends where on the F line your job is. At least on Roosevelt Island you have better transit options.
I think this sums it up very well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Roosevelt Island = 1970s Moscow

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 PM

457 posts, read 395,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Roosevelt Island = 1970s Moscow
I have to agree with this.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:14 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Roosevelt Island is very accessible to Manhattan as it only one subway stop from Midtown versus Red Hook which is mainly served by bus service. As already said the abandoned hospital is part of a popular park. I think the Roosevelt Island is safer and a more central location than Red Hook.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:23 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think this sums it up very well!
Yes. And, while Roosevelt Island IS Manhattan, the Cornell project, if the OP is looking to buy, should factor into the decision as well. This is a major project that will almost certainly have a positive effect on property values on the Island, or at least the parts closest to the campus.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 AM

33 posts, read 47,309 times
I work at the tip of Manhattan near Bowling Green so the commute from Red Hook will be shorter and it seems Red Hook is cheaper as well.

In terms of overall safety in not relation to Roosevelt Island, Red Hook is fine? Is it better than Bushwick/BedStuy? Red Hook is also relatively close to Atlantic Ave where there is a ton of stuff like a Trader Joes, bars, etc.

Are the ports in Red Hook still active/lots of noise?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:39 AM

2,054 posts, read 983,079 times
If you work near Bowling Green, how are you taking the F train to work? What's the closest train stop to your job? There are plenty of other neighborhoods that the F train runs through, maybe you should take a look at some of those.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Roosevelt Island.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:20 AM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesLobsterRolls View Post
I need to take the F train to work.

So which area is safer? Does Roosevelt Island even a community sense? I visited and there was only 1 road on the island called "Main Street" O_o
The F train doesn't go to Bowling Green. You should revise your search.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2014, 01:22 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,858,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesLobsterRolls View Post
I work at the tip of Manhattan near Bowling Green so the commute from Red Hook will be shorter and it seems Red Hook is cheaper as well.

In terms of overall safety in not relation to Roosevelt Island, Red Hook is fine? Is it better than Bushwick/BedStuy? Red Hook is also relatively close to Atlantic Ave where there is a ton of stuff like a Trader Joes, bars, etc.

Are the ports in Red Hook still active/lots of noise?
I've been working in Red Hook the past fews days and it has improved a lot over the past decade. I would say it's safer then Bushwick or Bed Stuy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or