Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 08:57 AM

94 posts, read 221,115 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Looking to give my wife a nice evening out in NYC for a christmas gift. She likes to go to plays/musicals. Anybody have any recommendations on which plays/musicals are getting great reviews right now? Also, any recommendations on restaurants within a reasonable distance of the play/musical?

I am completely lost when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:04 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
I recently saw Once, which is ending soon, and really enjoyed it. I've also been hearing great things about Hedwig so I would like to see that soon.

As for restaurants, decide on budget and cuisine, and you have dozens of options within walking distance. You may want to make a reservation and mention that you're seeing a show.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:13 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
Latest New York Times Reviews - Broadway and Off Broadway Shows
Notice they have "critics (best) picks" and links to read reviews.

Try looking up Broadway, as well as Off-Broadway shows.

See also Broadway World.com - #1 Site for Broadway Shows, Theatre, Live Entertainment, Tickets & More! ... click on "Shows", then dropdown menu: "Help, Pick me a Show"

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 12-17-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 10:16 AM

346 posts, read 383,068 times
I enjoyed Once myself . In fact I went to see it twice a year apart. I recently saw IF/THEN with Idina Menzel and really enjoyed it. Very good show.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:26 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
I just saw. " It's just a play" with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick...Good Stuff. Tickets run around $300 a piece. NO I did not purchase my own ticket

Old 12-17-2014, 06:46 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Shes loves going to plays but you never been with her or noticed what shows shes been too?

Anyhow, try AVENUE Q, FUERZA BRUTA, WICKED. 3 different options, 3 different styles.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:32 PM

575 posts, read 672,030 times
I am a big musicals fan. Drama does nothing for me. I can go home and get drama. LOL

Chicago is a great show for first timers. It's been around for ages and is an ever changing winner.

I loved Jersey Boys, the musical story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. If you are at all familiar with this kind of music, you will be singing the whole night. Tony Award for Best Musical in 2008 or 2009, I am too lazy to look it up.

Lion King is a tough ticket but one of the most successful shows ever. $$$$ Same for Book of Morman & Wicked, neither of which I have seen as prices for these 3 shows are completely nuts to me.

A friend of mine saw Motown, The Musical in Detroit and it may very well be the next show I see. His audience included Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder among other Motown Stars.

Carmines on West 44th Street is a long time favorite for before the show dinner. No joke, but I prefer sitting in the bar to eat than to sitting in the dining room. 3 ppl is about the limit for the bar as seats are at a premium and it takes some style to spot who might be leaving soon, before someone else spots a soon to be vacant seat. You have to go really, really early, to walk in and get a seat at the bar, or at one of the small high tops in the bar area, or at a bar like table away from the bar. You have to be your own waiter if you aren't at the bar itself. You will be foraging for seats with people like me. If you want a more traditional experience, make a reservation. Portions are family sized. 2 people won't finish a salad, appetizer and an entree. I went there a couple of weeks ago and sat in the dining room to appease my dining companions. Monday the shows are dark so it's far less busy. So forget Monday.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:14 AM

43,617 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Shes loves going to plays but you never been with her or noticed what shows shes been too?

Anyhow, try AVENUE Q, FUERZA BRUTA, WICKED. 3 different options, 3 different styles.
I saw Avenue Q quite a while back and remember it as being enjoyable.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:58 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
If she's sentimental/romantic, not new wave/edgy, then try "The Fantasticks." Only if she hasn't seen it already. It's a classic, and has been around forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City