U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-29-2017, 06:56 AM
 
6,815 posts, read 4,424,078 times
Reputation: 7608

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I remain neutral because I see both side argument.
Same here. Eric was a 38 year old man with 30+ arrest. With 30 arrest under his belt since 1980 on charges such as assault, resisting arrest, and grand larceny he should have a high IQ when dealing with cops and potential arrest. Nowadays people are lacking self responsibility and awareness. This man had 6 kids (the recent one being a 3 month old baby) and he was selling loose cigs, was in bad health, etc. One of his baby mamas called him lazy in regards to why he can't keep a steady job. They told him he was under arrest and he resisted with his bad health. Again after 30 arrest you should know the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2017, 07:25 AM
 
686 posts, read 272,280 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
No change because I'm not black. The police don't bother me. And that's why they are protesting. It's all about the color of your skin.
I can't wait for RoboCop...wonder what the whiners are going to say then -- "the software is rayciss!" "The programmers are rayciss!"

No doubt a significant number of cops really shouldn't be cops -- but that's the same as with any other job; most people are mostly uninterested in and only minimally competent at what they do, and the easier it is to get the job the more numerous such folks...the real problem is that we can't just say, okay, only black cops in black neighborhoods -- 'cause that would be "racist" too.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 07:27 AM
 
686 posts, read 272,280 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
It also makes me think that if I see someone lying on the ground in obvious health trouble and no-one is attending to them, then I will try to attend to them.
You wanna get sued -- or mugged??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 07:29 AM
 
686 posts, read 272,280 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I am not black either and I was stopped by police when I was young. Police asked me why I wasn't in school. I showed him my school schedule that I had no classes for the rest of the day & was courteous the whole time. I could of said none of your business...get a warrant...so eff off ! Or start flailing my arms in a violent manner. I am sure the outcome would have been far different.
I seem to notice NYPD going out of their way to stop non-blacks as if to show how very non-discriminatory they are -- which is ridiculous because it's almost always the usual suspects involved anyway...kinda like with the Muslims and all the searches of non-Muslims just to show how very p.c. the p.o. are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 07:40 AM
 
6,815 posts, read 4,424,078 times
Reputation: 7608
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
I can't wait for RoboCop...wonder what the whiners are going to say then -- "the software is rayciss!" "The programmers are rayciss!"

No doubt a significant number of cops really shouldn't be cops -- but that's the same as with any other job; most people are mostly uninterested in and only minimally competent at what they do, and the easier it is to get the job the more numerous such folks...the real problem is that we can't just say, okay, only black cops in black neighborhoods -- 'cause that would be "racist" too.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 07:49 AM
 
686 posts, read 272,280 times
Reputation: 284
Hee hee...nah -- RoboCop for the thugs but Terminators for the zombies (junkies)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 08:24 AM
 
1,774 posts, read 1,414,224 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
I can't wait for RoboCop...wonder what the whiners are going to say then -- "the software is rayciss!" "The programmers are rayciss!"

No doubt a significant number of cops really shouldn't be cops -- but that's the same as with any other job; most people are mostly uninterested in and only minimally competent at what they do, and the easier it is to get the job the more numerous such folks...the real problem is that we can't just say, okay, only black cops in black neighborhoods -- 'cause that would be "racist" too.....
You should read up a bit on how machine learning works. Most of the algorithms amount to just doing pattern and trend recognition. Some algorithms will even highlight the principal components that drive certain results e.g. committing crimes, be it driven by skin color, economics, etc. If you strip the humanity out of policing it's suffice to say that some groups that commit more crimes may be f'ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 08:34 AM
 
686 posts, read 272,280 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
You should read up a bit on how machine learning works. Most of the algorithms amount to just doing pattern and trend recognition. Some algorithms will even highlight the principal components that drive certain results e.g. committing crimes, be it driven by skin color, economics, etc.
Oh, after my stint as a homeless loser in another few weeks (regardless of whether my paperwork for rental assistance goes "through"), I plan on learning to program computers and analyze data -- so yes, I'm well aware of how even mighty Google's algos once had the search term "black people" serving up imagery of...uh, well, you can imagine, being human and all (ahem)....

No, actually, what I'd meant by "RoboCop" was a situation where everything's recorded live and streamed to a central repository (so no evidence tampering, etc.) by a robot that can withstand abuse, especially physical, so that should cut down on "feared for my life" tragedies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
If you strip the humanity out of policing it's suffice to say that some groups that commit more crimes may be f'ed.
Well, once crime doesn't pay, presumably such groups will move on to more remunerative careers (and alongside "RoboCop" there should be universally accessible pathways for upward social mobility -- no sticks without concurrent carrots!)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 08:37 AM
 
1,774 posts, read 1,414,224 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Oh, after my stint as a homeless loser in another few weeks (regardless of whether my paperwork for rental assistance goes "through"), I plan on learning to program computers and analyze data -- so yes, I'm well aware of how even mighty Google's algos once had the search term "black people" serving up imagery of...uh, well, you can imagine, being human and all (ahem)....

No, actually, what I'd meant by "RoboCop" was a situation where everything's recorded live and streamed to a central repository (so no evidence tampering, etc.) by a robot that can withstand abuse, especially physical, so that should cut down on "feared for my life" tragedies.



Well, once crime doesn't pay, presumably such groups will move on to more remunerative careers (and alongside "RoboCop" there should be universally accessible pathways for upward social mobility -- no sticks without concurrent carrots!)....

The RoboCop also gets a weapon right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMB7p14oP0M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 08:47 AM
 
Location: NYC
892 posts, read 916,611 times
Reputation: 651
Never really did, seemed like they were never around when you needed them and when you needed them they just drove by like they didn't see stuff going down (like getting robbed by other kids in middle school through HS they didn't do shttt).
But they sure like ruffing up kids that where actually trying to do the right thing like going to school...

I began despising NYPD when I got arrested for mistakenly braking a window with snowballs, got handcuffed got put face down on the sidewalk and they thought it was funny to throw hard ice at my friends and I while handcuffed. Oh such tough guys police are....mind you we were just teenagers (15-16), while telling me to go back to my country and other racist nonsense.

Got tons more stories (like mistakenly getting beat-up by police, getting arrested, than them realizing they got the wrong people, and getting let out through the back of central booking with them getting rid of all record-evidence that I was even there).
But after all these I years I found my zen and felt I didn't hate them, just despise that organization.

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 12-29-2017 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top