U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 PM

132 posts, read 208,416 times

Advertisements

A while back, I acquired an 8" traffic signal unit. It was manufactured in the early 2000s by a company named General Traffic Equipment. Originally, the head was supposed to be used in the city of New York; however, for whatever reason, that did not happen. With that said, it is practically brand new.

Because the traffic signal was manufactured for New York City, it originally met N.Y.C.D.O.T. specifications at the time of production. Two L.E.D. inserts are in use for the red and green sections, while an incandescent lamp and glass lens and reflector are in use for the amber section. This was the requirement for a newly-installed head in New York City for several years until the incandescent amber section was discontinued. Nowadays, all three sections must use L.E.D. inserts.

Below, are some pictures of the traffic signal. I personally know the family that owns and operates General Traffic Equipment, and they deal with N.Y.C.D.O.T. on practically a daily basis. Most of the current signal equipment in use throughout the boroughs have been manufactured by this company.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,414,863 times
How much you want for it? I've been meaning to put one in my driveway.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
How much you want for it? I've been meaning to put one in my driveway.
I'm sorry, but it is not for sale at this moment in time.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,414,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI197981 View Post
I'm sorry, but it is not for sale at this moment in time.
haha I was just kidding. But it definitely looks cool. Btw where do you find all those traffic memorabilias that you occasionally post about?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
haha I was just kidding. But it definitely looks cool. Btw where do you find all those traffic memorabilias that you occasionally post about?
A majority of what I have in my collection were acquired on EBay within the past 6 years or so. Of course, my collection revolves solely around New York City signal equipment and street signage, so these are rather more difficult to come across on EBay than others that saw service elsewhere in the country. Though the patience is worth it.

Others that I have were acquired by other collectors I personally know, and three items that I have were purchased from signal equipment companies that deal with N.Y.C.D.O.T. frequently. They would be General Traffic Equipment and Marbelite.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 PM

Here's a short video of the traffic signal in operation. There are also two New York City pedestrian signals in the video. All of my signals are controlled by the electro-mechanical controller. This was a rather temporary setup, but everything operated well.

I have a simple two-way intersection setup here (like in New York City), and everything is timed for approximately 60 seconds.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City