Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:31 AM

237 posts, read 785,509 times

Advertisements

yea, this annoys me too. I always say excuse me if I bump into someone, but hardly ever am extended the same courtesy. I dread the walk to the bus stop after work (on 42nd Street) because it is such a madhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,651,492 times
You have clueless tourists that are standing in the middle of a high traffic walkway and then expecting to get excuses from people bumping them. What's more rude than suddenly walking and stopping or stand in the middle of the street completely blocking traffic and expects others to wait for them.

I love to give them the real NY welcoming elbow or shove.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,387,571 times
I don't like strangers testing my patience like that.
I often have to swing my whole body around these
turds just to not have them touch me.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:42 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,877,877 times
It painful to get around the city given how overcrowded and poor infrastructure the city has (subways always run slow and are delayed). If you are from out of town, at first you get irritated and ask how can people be like this, after some times goes by you stop caring and do as the natives do. NY is a grind (high cost of living), if you can make it here you can make it anywhere (concrete jungle, baby).

Old 12-19-2014, 02:53 PM

8,933 posts, read 4,746,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
get over it seriously. I agree it's rude. but if you start arguing in a ghetto nabe with some big bad looking guy, he might just hurt you.
You have to pick your battles. I always apologize if I bump into someone but my pet peeve is when I politely say excuse me to somebody that is not moving further down the subway car or is in my way when I'm trying to exit and they just give me a "what are you gonna do about it" blank stare. Then I'm tempted to just shove past them and sometimes I do. So, I understand why some people just start shoving without bothering to say excuse me.

Last edited by Aeran; 12-19-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 12-19-2014, 04:43 PM

15,569 posts, read 15,610,028 times
I'd say "Excuse me" if I accidentally fall onto someone, but not just if I'm trying to shove by someone who shouldn't be blocking the way. Although sometimes I'll yell "EXCUSE ME!" to make the point.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:30 PM

993 posts, read 1,382,779 times
Come out to a borough, where street manners are excellent and all the children are above average.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:33 PM

91 posts, read 119,549 times
As a rule I have traveled to NYC in June and September for the past 10 years. I occasionally include November. I would say judging by to the behavior of regular people, not trashy, not ghetto just people, every day working or not working people. It seems that there is a majority who act like they were never taught manners or simply decided against them. There is no excuse for rudeness, especially when you purposely hit someone.

This is both in Chicago and NYC. In Chicago they will drop bowling balls in bags on your shoulder, slap you up side your head so hard it causes a tear to stream down your face as the woman continues to walk to stand near the exit door in an effort to get off of the bus. Unless you say something people like her pretend not to know that was your head that they just slapped. I can't say it is generational b/c although many are young people at the same time many are 50, 60+ many of whom I would bet were taught to have manners, but refuse to open their mouths unless they happen to hit someone who speaks up. It is not the city it is today's attitudes.

Last edited by pajones3; 12-23-2014 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: word mispelled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City