U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,529,944 times

Advertisements

If someone bumps into you, do you just let it slide or do you say something?

This happens too often. It's happened to me and I've witnessed it happening to others.

Is this some Manhattan rule? You don't have to excuse yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,237,299 times
Well there is a surge of tourists who are somewhat rude, clueless or don't have good customs and then you also have a huge population of uneducated urespectful trashy local Ghetto Residents. So yes this happens a lot unfortunately.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:11 AM

10,612 posts, read 20,745,224 times
It depends. There are polite people and there are rude people, just like here on this board.

I generally say excuse me or sorry, but I definitely won't say it if the collision happens when I am trying to exit a train car and someone is barreling in, trying to push people down to get to the open seat first. That is rude x10.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:24 AM

10,328 posts, read 12,421,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
If someone bumps into you, do you just let it slide or do you say something?

This happens too often. It's happened to me and I've witnessed it happening to others.

Is this some Manhattan rule? You don't have to excuse yourself?
In a crowded area I just keep going on my way. What I see a lot of is the reverse body check-Someone backing up suddenly without seeing if anyone is behind them. At my job an elderly woman almost got knocked over on Tuesday because the guy suddenly thew his feet in reverse. It makes sense to glance behind you in places where lines can form or just turn and walk to the side.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:28 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,067,308 times
because many people don't care about anything or anyone in public at all and really don't care whether you live or die. you're just an obstacle or another zombie whose life has no value to them.

basically, they're just inconsiderate.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:42 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,668,416 times
get over it seriously. I agree it's rude. but if you start arguing in a ghetto nabe with some big bad looking guy, he might just hurt you.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:39 PM

18,276 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Totally unrelated but the query put an old school jam into my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2IZtD9gfzg

Old 12-19-2014, 09:53 AM

6,828 posts, read 4,428,208 times

Old 12-19-2014, 10:24 AM

2,138 posts, read 2,157,576 times
I take long walks for exercise since my back issues stop me from going to the gym. Everyday I hesitate going outside because I know I will be crashing into people or have people crashing into me. There is no way to avoid it. I hate running into people and I HATE dodging people who are texting on crowded streets.

Sometimes I look ahead of me a few blocks and see swarms of people that I must eventually pass through and it makes me anxious. I HATE fighting for sidewalk space. Sometimes I want to think about other things or just RELAX versus having to stress out about walking.

It's part of city life. What else is there to say ? I will add though that NYC has always been crowded but I have never remembered it being so bad on a day to day basis. We just don't have the infrastructure to deal with all the people. Now people have difficulty finding space on a sidewalk.

It's gross ! I can't wait to get the F out of here in FEB.

By the way nobody says excuse me. What you do is knock harder !

Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,422,071 times
I've always let it slide so far. I've never had someone bump into me to the point where I lost my balance or dropped something though. Most people I've encountered say "excuse me" but some people are simply oblivious or occasionally rude. In a city where people have been seriously injured over minor disputes like this I feel its usually not worth it to start something.

Video: Police Seek This Violent Surfer Dude Who Punched Dog Owner: Gothamist

The man who was punched ended up with a serious brain injury--all over a petty situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City