Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:12 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Police killed over 1000 US citizens in 2014. No one said much. 2 police officers were shot and 'oh, woe is us, this violence must stop
And 990+ of them were felons resisting arrest.

Thank god for law enforcement, they (and the Second Amendment) are the only things that stand between me and the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 12:16 PM

136 posts, read 106,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Police killed over 1000 US citizens in 2014. No one said much. 2 police officers were shot and 'oh, woe is us, this violence must stop
if you dont break the law, you wont get shot....real simple concept. When a police officer addresses you, the first words out of your mouth should be "yes sir' or "yes maam'

Old 12-21-2014, 12:19 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
growing up in the 1970's with long hair being stopped and frisked was almost daily life where we all hung out.never once was their a confrontation that would have put my life at risk.
'
resisting arrest and doing dumb moves that can be considered hostle will though.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:22 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Trust me, tech could resolve most of the points you mentioned. If the city opened the NYPD to developers, it would become a more efficient organization. IT would trim the fat.

Relaxing the gun laws for law abiding citizens would help.
Trust me when I tell you that you can throw all the tech you want if the cops wanted to shut the city down they could do it in hours. They wont do it though so in reality you have nothing to worry about!!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:31 PM

84 posts, read 195,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
growing up in the 1970's with long hair being stopped and frisked was almost daily life
Huh? You were stopped and frisked every day in the 70's in New York?

Old 12-21-2014, 12:41 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
if you dont break the law, you wont get shot....real simple concept. When a police officer addresses you, the first words out of your mouth should be "yes sir' or "yes maam'
Then they should address us (the citizens) that way too, respect is a two way street...

Old 12-21-2014, 12:43 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
If I stopped doing my job, I wouldn't be paid.
If your boss overburdened you with work, and then shed a crocodile tear when you or a co-worker was injured or killed on the job, you might call OSHA or 'work to rule'.
The NYPD should not race to calls (getting into an accident en route can cost you vacation days), assess the scene carefully from a distance (don't walk into a trap), approach cautiously & politely en masse, investigate thoroughly & professionally ("Ma'am, you can't say, "A ****ing ****** just robbed me. Please rephrase your statement in a non-profane and non-racial manner."), await and consult with the supervisor about the next course of action ("Why do you think, Sarge, should we broadcast a description? Maybe someone should canvass the area for witnesses? In a few minutes, can we begin looking for the suspects?"). Transport the victim back to the station house and wait to speak with a detective about follow-ups. Carefully type a report on one of those old typewriters that are still lying around. Make sure to fill in each box correctly - you wouldn't want to face discipline for a typo. Then, let the precinct XO stop by and downgrade the felony to a misdemeanor, for Compstat.
Quote:
If my actions accidentally or negligently killed people while on the job, I would be in jail. This is true for the vast majority of people, yet the police are the exception.
480,000 people died from smoking last year. Medical malpractice killed another 100,000. Car crashes killed another 35,000 in 2013. Hardly anyone faced criminal charges for accidently or negligently causing any of these deaths. A few faced charges for reckless or intentional killing.

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-21-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 12:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
If the cops wanted to they could bring the city to its knees within hours. They could take an extra 10 minutes on every job. They could take a report for every incident. They could take forever at central booking. They could go sick for every cough. They could follow the patrol guide to a tee. They could do a car stop for 30 minutes and then use their discretion and let the motorist go without a ticket. They could have thousands of jobs backed up. The city would be in chaos and it would all be legit and no matter how much you complained there would be nothing that could be done to the cops. But don't worry I was a cop for over twenty years and never once did the cops do anything like this. But they could, Next time you go hating on a cop remember what would things be like without them!!!!!!
Of course, if the cops bring the city to it's knees how do the cops get paid? Do this kind of damage to the city, if wealthy people and money flees how do the cop think they are going to get paid if they screw over New York's tax base?

So I sincerely hope the police union isn't this stupid.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:44 PM

136 posts, read 106,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Then they should address us (the citizens) that way too, respect is a two way street...
For law abiding citizens they do. If you are doing something wrong, you dont get courtesy. Shut up and listen to authority and do what they tell you to do

Old 12-21-2014, 12:53 PM

112 posts, read 181,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
For white people they do. If you are black, you dont get courtesy. Shut up and listen to authority and do what they tell you to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City