Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Besides the beautiful women and amazing weather I would still not move to Florida, because the state lacks oppurtunities besides a few industries like Real Estate agent, or tour guide or Everglades Park Officer. I know people on here like to unlump NYC and the Downstate region from NY State, but look NYC is intertwined with NYS and whatever affects NYS will affect NYC regardless unless those who want write a petition to Bill De Blasio and Melissa Mark Vivertio controlled NYC Council to secession of NYC from NYS. NYS decline is a longtime coming. Much of it has to do with high taxes which affects everyone from Buffalo, to Binghamton, from The Bronx, to Brooklyn. NYS in general including NYC has been bleeding residents for sometime, the only upside is that the NYC region attracts plenty of gentry and poor immigrants, but can the gentry and poor immigrants help offset native whites, native blacks and Hispanics who are leaving the state? Plenty of the people who move out of NYS and city are not even poor, just working to middle class folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 10:27 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
With climate change and sea level rise, it's just a matter of time before Florida falls back to 4th place.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I am moving to Florida next week. I am moving to the Tampa area. I honestly never thought I would leave NY. I love NY. But NY has become a welfare state. You get destroyed in taxes. Plus in general its so expensive. So By leaving here me and my wife save an additional 25k a year in reduced mortgage payments..state taxes...sales tax,,car insurance,,gas,,oil...and yes even in sunny Florida less in electric bills. I will miss NY but I wont miss the bs that goes along with it! I went to re qualify for my hr 218 last week and all the guys and gals are moving out of state. Its sad that the politicians don't fix what is broken!!
Well, DeBlasio is busy trying to get kids paid daycare if that helps.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:47 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
With climate change and sea level rise, it's just a matter of time before Florida falls back to 4th place.

I don't think that would bode well for the majority of NYC as well.
A super storm damn knocked the subway system back a few years.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:51 AM

That is true to some extent but it would be a whole lot easier to build a wall around the five boroughs than the entire state of Florida, where most of the land is barely above sea level.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Besides the beautiful women and amazing weather I would still not move to Florida, because the state lacks oppurtunities besides a few industries like Real Estate agent, or tour guide or Everglades Park Officer. I know people on here like to unlump NYC and the Downstate region from NY State, but look NYC is intertwined with NYS and whatever affects NYS will affect NYC regardless unless those who want write a petition to Bill De Blasio and Melissa Mark Vivertio controlled NYC Council to secession of NYC from NYS. NYS decline is a longtime coming. Much of it has to do with high taxes which affects everyone from Buffalo, to Binghamton, from The Bronx, to Brooklyn. NYS in general including NYC has been bleeding residents for sometime, the only upside is that the NYC region attracts plenty of gentry and poor immigrants, but can the gentry and poor immigrants help offset native whites, native blacks and Hispanics who are leaving the state? Plenty of the people who move out of NYS and city are not even poor, just working to middle class folks.
Yes. NYC is dumping the people who can't afford it. Bloomberg has multiple houses all over and is not selling his NYC properties.

Working to middle class people are POOR people and are in DENIAL about being poor. What's so terrible about saying that you are poor? Many working class people don't have retirement plans, so unless they have property paid for they have no choice but to leave NYC.

The high taxes in NYC pay for the high level of service you get here, including the nation's most complex mass transit. Nothing remotely resembling this in Florida. NYC's infrastructure is expensive to maintain. Also New York's top universities are much higher ranked than Florida.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That is true to some extent but it would be a whole lot easier to build a wall around the five boroughs than the entire state of Florida, where most of the land is barely above sea level.
And a wall being built around the 5 boroughs won't happen, either. Saying the sea levels will rise is like saying the sun will go nova or that upstate NY will again be covered in glaciers. All these things will happen eventually but they have no bearing on present reality. The present reality is Florida is 3rd place while upstate NY continues to shrink in population.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:09 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Plenty of the people who move out of NYS and city are not even poor, just working to middle class folks.
Really? I am pretty sure most of the growth in Florida is natural growth, the poor/working class from the North, poor immigrants, and retirees on fixed income. I don't see how Florida can be attractive to middle class. It has very poor education system and a severe lack of high paying or high tech jobs.

If you are working as a cashier at Rite Aid, at McDonalds, a waiter, banking clerk at Chase, food delivery, Starbucks barista, bookshelf stocker at Barnes&Noble, customer service/call center responder, or stocking boxes at Target or Macys, I don't know what you are doing in NYC... you'd be a fool not to move to Florida. There are MANY people like that, but make no mistake, those are not middle class people with middle class jobs.

Last edited by Gantz; 12-24-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 12-24-2014, 11:13 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is remarkable that a state that is 30th in land size is still 4th in population.
Good point. Florida is a huge state. From Jacksonville to Key West is at least an 8 hour drive.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
80% of this population growth in Florida is due to immigration from Latin America, and inter-nation migration from Puerto Rico.

A good chunk of the people who move from New York to Florida still maintain a residence in NY but declare Florida their primary residence just to avoid the higher taxes that come with being a NY resident.

Why would anyone want to live in Florida? Sure the property taxes are low and they don't have a state income tax but ... it's hot as f--k (trust me, ive been there), the schools suck, the job market stinks, half the people live below poverty ... it is basically a 3rd world country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City