Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:55 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
That is what I gather from reading this CD. The maim divide seems to be centered on black-white, very surprised. While hispanics/latinos are often talked down of, no representative latino voices here to defend/argue on their behalf.On the other hand, the tug of war between B-W seems persistent and highly inflammable, but very often non-productive because neither side is willing to listen to the other to seek an agreable mid point to work on and resolve outstanding issues. With an expanding black population concomittant with a shrinking white population, the majority/minority status will reverse, which will likely deepen the divide. Could this lead to.a second.civil war?
You would be making a big mistake drawing that conclusion based on this forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 01:35 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
OP could care less how divided minorities are.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:45 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
OP could care less how divided minorities are.
Please be more specific about your criticism so I can address it. Minorities in the US are complex and evolve constantly. I can clearly tell who are minorities in Kansans etc but am much more hesitant in deciding which group is a minority in NYC.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:03 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
The wealthy get $2 trillion wealthier

If it was possible to fight the 1% or 0.1%, many of the bottom 60% americans would jump on it...but they are over insulated from the reach of the rest. OWS was one such attempt but it was portrayed to be a laughable movement and even accepted by the general public; whereas the ongoing rioting over the deaths of criminal lives were manipulated and hypered by the riches to keep the bottom 60% engaged in their intra-class fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The real divide should be between the 0.1% and the rest of us. Just like the Romans distracted the masses with the games the 0.1% have us focused on race, unions, and who's going to win the Biggest Loser. While the rest of us are the real biggest losers in economic equality.
This my friends is the root cause of the OP's concern.

We Are the Most Unequal Society in the Developed World... And We Don't Know It*|*Les Leopold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is the reason why I posted a thread Called their is a bigger picture. People on this forum are side track about racism, police brutality and so forth. Politicians local to federal levels, wall Street and the media is doing a great job dividing and conquering. The real issue heart is economics, socio-economics and income inequality that people loss track of. The powers that be did a great job steering people away from the true problems of this country. Politicians, wall Street and the media are laughing the way to the bank while people fight about racism.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
That is what I gather from reading this CD. The maim divide seems to be centered on black-white, very surprised. While hispanics/latinos are often talked down of, no representative latino voices here to defend/argue on their behalf.On the other hand, the tug of war between B-W seems persistent and highly inflammable, but very often non-productive because neither side is willing to listen to the other to seek an agreable mid point to work on and resolve outstanding issues. With an expanding black population concomittant with a shrinking white population, the majority/minority status will reverse, which will likely deepen the divide. Could this lead to.a second.civil war?
NYC's white population is growing (from people moving here and well off whites have kids). The Black population is shrinking.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:38 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC's white population is growing (from people moving here and well off whites have kids). The Black population is shrinking.
White population in Nyc will probably stagnant since native whites are dying out or can't offer nyc and move to other parts of the state or country. I'm not sure if whites from across America mainly millennials can off set the loss of native nyc whites. But yes non native white population is growing though.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
White population in Nyc will probably stagnant since native whites are dying out or can't offer nyc and move to other parts of the state or country. I'm not sure if whites from across America mainly millennials can off set the loss of native nyc whites. But yes non native white population is growing though.
Many of the native whites inherit property and money from their parents, though, and there were always some wealthy whites in NYC.

But even if you don't earn much money, inheritances make a big difference in your life.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:43 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Sorry, but the idea of a second civil war over racial issues seems absurd. To me, the issues don't seem to be white vs. black, but liberal vs. conservative, and it seems pretty clear to me that the conservatives tend to be much more virulently on the attack.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:58 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I disagree. If anything,NYC seems less divided than ever before. It seems like in every election,whether it's national or local,voter registration and election results in NYC are getting more and more to the left of center. There was a time,not that long ago,when NYC occasionally voted Republican in a presidential election.

Those on the right are extremely vocal,which makes it seem more divided.de Blasio was elected with one of the most overwhelming majority's in NYC history and he will probably get re elected quite easily when the time comes. You should know better than to deduct anything from an internet forum because they are usually representative of nothing except the disaffected and many neither live nor vote in NYC.

Now,the country as a whole is definitely more divided politically but NYC,not really at all.
20 years of Republican mayors.

De Blasio won because New Yorkers were all tired of Weiner, and saw Quinn as corrupt, while he ran an outsider campaign and took the moral high ground. His colorful family background also made him attractive, while Lhota was just a suit, and nobody likes the MTA.

If De Blasio ran against Bloomberg or Giuliani he would have lost.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Sorry, but the idea of a second civil war over racial issues seems absurd. To me, the issues don't seem to be white vs. black, but liberal vs. conservative, and it seems pretty clear to me that the conservatives tend to be much more virulently on the attack.
Liberals and conservatives are on the same side of the coin these days. The threat to both liberals and conservatives are progressive and populist types. But the op is clueless about American history and the history of city of NY. The first American Civil War was not caused by racism but due to States rights, popular sovereignty, western expansion, Mexican American war, king cotton, preserving the union and so forth. Racism cause another 2nd civil war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City