Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 05:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
You insist on ignoring one very important reality. Like any irresponsible, reckless, immoral, illegal act whether it be not crossing the street at the corner, drunk driving, selling loose cigarettes to kids or anyone which was illegal his actions caused him to be subject to arrest which is what happens when the Police are involved generally.

Whether he should have ended up dead anyone can debate forever. One inescapable truth is if he were not committing a Crime no matter how trivial in the publics opinion and not resisting arrest he may well still be on this side of the Grass.

I feel bad for his family and that his conscious decision to resist arrest ultimately led to his death.
He bears the responsibility for his actions ultimately and his death could have been avoided if only he:

1. Did not commit a Criminal Act
2. Resist Arrest when told he was under arrest.

Those that cannot see this as the absolute truth are the people who feel they are entitled to everything and that it is always the other persons fault for everything. When Children conduct themselves this way we say they are immature. When Adults subscribe to this belief system it is sad and tragic but again reflective of the new entitlement culture that has swept the Nation.
Actually, had he not had a LONG history of criminal acts it's possible the police may have ticketed him or even let him go with a warning. But because of his long criminal past, plus the fact he was on probation, any illegal activity the cops caught him doing was going to lead to his arrest and going back to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 06:15 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually, had he not had a LONG history of criminal acts it's possible the police may have ticketed him or even let him go with a warning. But because of his long criminal past, plus the fact he was on probation, any illegal activity the cops caught him doing was going to lead to his arrest and going back to jail.
I really hate derailing my own thread but....This has been the point I have been trying to get by for sometime.
I truly believe Garner resisted the way he did was because of his numerous prior bad acts, several open cases against him and he knew that he was spending A hot weekend in July at Rikers. Because as several people on CD pointed out he could only been issued a desk appearance ticket at the percent and send home, but because of all his priors that wasn't going to happen that day.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:22 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I really hate derailing my own thread but....This has been the point I have been trying to get by for sometime.
I truly believe Garner resisted the way he did was because of his numerous prior bad acts, several open cases against him and he knew that he was spending A hot weekend in July at Rikers. Because as several people on CD pointed out he could only been issued a desk appearance ticket at the percent and send home, but because of all his priors that wasn't going to happen that day.
I honest think it's pretty rare to even get a desk appearance ticket....only celebs, people with money or clout get that priviledge IMO...I could be wrong.....the DAT just avoid you being put through the system, but you still have to come to court obviously.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-28-2014, 06:34 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The first time I heard this term was during a newspaper plant strike in NY in the '90s. Those who were striking had dummy heads on poles with the word "skell" written in marker on the foreheads of the dummies, to indicate what they thought of the strikebreakers.

It's really not that hard to take 2 seconds and type a word you've never heard into Google and and the word "define" when you type it into the search box. You will find out everything you need to know about it and you won't have to take time and attention away from the thread subject.
I've never heard of that term either. So, curious I did some research and apparently it falls under the classification of "cop slang". Well, I'm not a cop, none of my friends are policemen, don't know any family members who are so that explains it. It means low-life, vagrant. Learn something new everyday. Now, on with the program.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:42 PM

274 posts, read 239,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
LOL. I bet a good majority of the people didn't even know the choke-hold was illegal until this case.

It is not illegal it is against Dept. Policy which is a drastically different thing. Violation of Policy gets you fired, suspended with/without pay. Violating the law will get you fined or imprisoned.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:43 PM

274 posts, read 239,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I honest think it's pretty rare to even get a desk appearance ticket....only celebs, people with money or clout get that priviledge IMO...I could be wrong.....the DAT just avoid you being put through the system, but you still have to come to court obviously.
DAT's are very common now. Cops have to give DAT's unless the exceptions exist. Around your way, SAP warrants (summons) are probably real common so I bet DAT's don't happen much there.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
DAT's are very common now. Cops have to give DAT's unless the exceptions exist. Around your way, SAP warrants (summons) are probably real common so I bet DAT's don't happen much there.
Police in different areas tend to give different types of tickets? Is it a precinct by precinct choice?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
People with warrants cannot get summonses or DAT's. Certain parts of this city are going to have much more interaction with people who have warrants. Seventhfloor says he lives near the projects. The projects are full of people with warrants. Trust me, I know.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
LiveLeak.com - Patrick Lynch NYCPD Union Rep defends Officers arraigned in ticket fixing scandal saying they have a right to fix tickets for family and friends (comments)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City