Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,517 times

Advertisements

I rentented an illegal basenent and now they won't leave. they came at night time. the stay was supposedly temporary till he finds a place he brought his wife and kid and then she gsve birth to another child.My wife had cancer and i work I didn't have time to take care of it legally and he on saying that he leaving next month after month it has been a while. It is so unsafe that his wife blocked the exit outside with her own stuff God forbid a fire erupt I have 2 girls I cannot get out. I want to to the judge but I am scared he will take his side especially he has 2 kids and I was told he will give them 6 months for free. Is this true. Plz help....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:36 PM

802 posts, read 1,366,698 times
well if they wont leave theres no other way to get the judge involved.
sooner those 6 months start the sooner it will end...

you might get fined for putting illegal basement up for rent

Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Good luck getting them out of there. Since the apartment is illegal, you can't do a normal eviction in housing court. This is already a long process. But the alternate for illegal apartments is longer, harder, and more expensive. It's likely not a DIY procedure. Get a lawyer, and have him lay it out for you.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:53 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
I would probably take the following steps.
1. Go to lawyer with rental experience seeking legal advice.
2. Offer to search for basement apartments that are viable option for them to move into.
If I became desperate enough:
3. Offer to pay their first month of rent in the new basement apartment if they leaves (make sure you can get a legal agreement).

Being as you live in close distance from the tenant, you should look to have better communications with them. If they can't solve their problem by themselves, well it just became your problem to solve for them unfortunately. If you wish to motivate them to leave without raising tensions the best way would be to throw money at the situation, while learning your lesson from the experience (so you don't make the same mistake again).

I would prioritize family safety and a peace of mind over money. As by NYC rental laws, this process is going to drag out for a while and who knows how much resentment and hostility you might receive from the tenant if you take additional steps to forcefully kick them out.

Last edited by NYer23; 12-28-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 01:18 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
In the meantime, can you go and move her stuff away from the exit, or make a path through it.

Better: Forget all the other issues for a moment, and talk to the dad only about the fire safety. Say that these belongings blocking the exit put all of your children at risk. Work together, two men, to move stuff right away so all are safe.

With new pregnancies and births, there's probably all kinds of boxes and junk and not enough space for it, so the wife put it out by the exit. Get up on a ladder and help them put stuff away better in their own closet. Help them carry stuff to a dumpster, if it's no good any more. Do whatever it takes to clear the exit area. Although I'd rather be telling them to do it, if that hasn't worked, then maybe help them do it.

I know that feels backwards, when you really want them to leave. But one thing has nothing to do with the other. Get safe yourself, first. Then deal with everything else.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 12-28-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 03:07 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
If a judge rules your apartment "illegal" they can require that you pay back any rent the tenants gave you plus penalties. You cannot collect rent from an illegal apartment.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,517 times
thank you guys for your advices. For sure I learned a lot from this experience.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:31 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If a judge rules your apartment "illegal" they can require that you pay back any rent the tenants gave you plus penalties. You cannot collect rent from an illegal apartment.
Let's hope that's the case here! The "landlord" created his own problem.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:07 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
Odd first post. Enjoy your evening.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 4,369 times
not in queens my landlord rented us a 2 bedroom at market value apartment two years later found out the building was illegally converted from 2 apartments to four no permits against zoning and we are out of our security deposit all the rent 1500 a month we paid and he gets away with it only hit with DOB Fines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City