Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:37 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times

Advertisements

The problem in the Bronx -- and much of the rest of the city -- is that apartments aren't too expensive, but that residents are too poor. The median family income is about $35,000, IIRC, which means that half the households in the Bronx make less than that. That makes near $2000 a month in rent pretty expensive.

That list of affordable cities almost all have large proportions of poor people, Baltimore, Philly, LA, South Florida, etc So which is easier to change, and better to do? Raise the incomes of the poor or build more housing they can afford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 09:56 PM

298 posts, read 706,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So which is easier to change, and better to do? Raise the incomes of the poor or build more housing they can afford?
There is a third option: go be poor somewhere else.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:28 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
There is a third option: go be poor somewhere else.
Lots of affordable housing in the midwest...

Old 12-29-2014, 07:55 AM

493 posts, read 511,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Lots of affordable housing in the midwest...
The poor usually cant afford to move and if they don't make that much here the probably will make even less there.
The bronx is not worth an increase in rent. I would never live or raise my family there. It is still very dangerous. They are just raising the rent so the people who were pushed out of Brooklyn and upper manhattan will move there. I don't see the bronx getting much better in the next 10 years.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 AM

116 posts, read 145,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Fresh Direct finally breaking ground with no opposition from de Blasio actually makes it a lot easier for these deals to go through, as the Bronx is the cheapest borough, and has the most underutilized land in spaces. A lot of food and alcohol distribution companies, including Bronx Brewery, have set up operations in the Bronx.
De Blasio DID oppose the deal - before he was elected. Last September he was quoted blasting the deal, but has gone silent on the subject since.

De Blasio blasts Fresh Direct’s $100M freebie | New York Post

Fresh Direct and Bronx Brewery are not equal. BB is a destination for residents and visitors with an awesome tasting room and cool backyard set up. Fresh Direct is opening their DC in the Bronx and do not have any type of retail. They have promised to green their fleet (which has not come to fruition) and 1000 new jobs - however, there are no repercussions if they do not meet these promises. In the meantime they will be bringing 1000 diesel trucks daily - DAILY - to a neighborhood where asthma rates are 21 times the national rate. For people who don't live in the neighborhood, this is great, new jobs, etc. - and not in their backyard, so no worries. For those of us who are in the area this is a travesty, and the fact that ESD / FD / Diaz utilized a 21 year old environmental impact study is ridiculous. Mychal Johnson, South Bronx Unite, and Welcome2theBronx have a much more thorough analysis of why this is not good.

Anyone who doesn't live in the area who supports this and sees it as a positive is also supporting my community, my family, my neighbors being at risk for increased negative health impacts. At best, careless, at worse, malicious and very much a "who cares, it's not in my backyard, those people in Mott Haven can get sick, I just want my groceries".

I have been at the protests, submitted testimony to ESD and DEC, written to Diaz / de Blasio and their teams, had letters to the editor featured in both the Mott Haven Herald and NY Daily News, and rallied my friends and family to the cause. I don't expect to change your mind as you have been very supportive of the deal, but if I can give even one person pause about this, I will be happy. Fresh Direct may move forward, but we need our politicians to not use the Bronx as a industrial dumping ground and recognize that the people who live there matter.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie180 View Post
De Blasio DID oppose the deal - before he was elected. Last September he was quoted blasting the deal, but has gone silent on the subject since.

De Blasio blasts Fresh Direct’s $100M freebie | New York Post

Fresh Direct and Bronx Brewery are not equal. BB is a destination for residents and visitors with an awesome tasting room and cool backyard set up. Fresh Direct is opening their DC in the Bronx and do not have any type of retail. They have promised to green their fleet (which has not come to fruition) and 1000 new jobs - however, there are no repercussions if they do not meet these promises. In the meantime they will be bringing 1000 diesel trucks daily - DAILY - to a neighborhood where asthma rates are 21 times the national rate. For people who don't live in the neighborhood, this is great, new jobs, etc. - and not in their backyard, so no worries. For those of us who are in the area this is a travesty, and the fact that ESD / FD / Diaz utilized a 21 year old environmental impact study is ridiculous. Mychal Johnson, South Bronx Unite, and Welcome2theBronx have a much more thorough analysis of why this is not good.

Anyone who doesn't live in the area who supports this and sees it as a positive is also supporting my community, my family, my neighbors being at risk for increased negative health impacts. At best, careless, at worse, malicious and very much a "who cares, it's not in my backyard, those people in Mott Haven can get sick, I just want my groceries".

I have been at the protests, submitted testimony to ESD and DEC, written to Diaz / de Blasio and their teams, had letters to the editor featured in both the Mott Haven Herald and NY Daily News, and rallied my friends and family to the cause. I don't expect to change your mind as you have been very supportive of the deal, but if I can give even one person pause about this, I will be happy. Fresh Direct may move forward, but we need our politicians to not use the Bronx as a industrial dumping ground and recognize that the people who live there matter.
This is complete BS. South Bronx is a busted up ghetto. The Bronx should get down on their knees praising the lord that they have ANY private sector investment, particularly from so large a corporate investor. Such a major company moving to the Bronx paves the way for more sorely needed corporate investment.

Being that they have a whole lot of ghetto to get out of Harlem before it gentrifies completely, the Bronx cannot rely on spillover from Manhattan to improve. Just as East River Brooklyn and East River Queens have considerable corporate investment, the South Bronx needs that as well.

Fresh Direct was in Queens for many years until they got too big for their location there, and nobody there ever complained about pollution. I am originally from Queens and when Fresh Direct was opening up, again no complaints. The welfare/poverty pimps in the Bronx would complain about fresh direct because it's not more welfare money going into their pockets, and not expanding their base of welfare dependents.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:47 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
The bronx is not worth an increase in rent. I would never live or raise my family there. It is still very dangerous. They are just raising the rent so the people who were pushed out of Brooklyn and upper manhattan will move there. I don't see the bronx getting much better in the next 10 years.
That's a pretty general statement, saying the whole bronx is dangerous. Shoot why not just say the whole state is dangerous or the whole country.
When you do some research and go to all the different neighborhoods then add your comments. My guess is you never go to the Bronx or maybe have ever been...

Old 12-29-2014, 11:26 AM

493 posts, read 511,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
That's a pretty general statement, saying the whole bronx is dangerous. Shoot why not just say the whole state is dangerous or the whole country.
When you do some research and go to all the different neighborhoods then add your comments. My guess is you never go to the Bronx or maybe have ever been...
I grew up in NYC and graduated from Lehman College and am totally disgusted by the bronx. I just hate it but that is a personal preference. However, many people I know don't like it as well. I have been there plenty and always make sure I can leave as fast as I can.
I just don't see the bronx being gentrified anytime soon.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:43 AM

279 posts, read 521,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
It seems as if this person has probably been to the usual areas that the Bronx has become known for. The problem with the Bronx is the bad areas outnumber the good ones and are usually not as accessible.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
I grew up in NYC and graduated from Lehman College and am totally disgusted by the bronx. I just hate it but that is a personal preference. However, many people I know don't like it as well. I have been there plenty and always make sure I can leave as fast as I can.
I just don't see the bronx being gentrified anytime soon.
Where did you grow up in New york?
Again you are making a VERY general statement. As you must know the Bronx is huge. So you mean you hate every single neighborhood in the bronx? It's like me saying I don't like your attitude and since you went to Lehman college I now hate every person who has gone there. "I just hate it but that is a personal preference"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City