Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 12:41 PM

56 posts, read 75,343 times

Advertisements

Was a bit curious to know how everyone was with their neighbors in NYC. Don't live there myself but, was curious to know how everyone acts with them. Even if you live in an apartment, do you communicate with your neighbors typically, or is it just the wave every now and then when you see them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 15,012 times
I don't talk to them. Most of us don't talk. No I take that back. There is one lady I talk to regularly because her daughter is in my son's class and I see her all the time. She lives at the other end of my block.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:27 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
my building and floor is homey and friendly. not impersonal and snooty. could be cos i live near the city line where things are more modest and slower

Old 01-01-2015, 01:32 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
I know many of my neighbors and talk to some of them. Back when I use to live in Ozone Park that wasn't the case, except for some kids I went to school with.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:46 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
I am friendly with pretty much everyone. I am very lucky to have very good neighbors.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:35 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel D'Angelo View Post
Was a bit curious to know how everyone was with their neighbors in NYC. Don't live there myself but, was curious to know how everyone acts with them. Even if you live in an apartment, do you communicate with your neighbors typically, or is it just the wave every now and then when you see them?
What do you mean, "do you communicate with your neighbors typically"? I'm not sure whether I communicate typically or atypically.

For this and my previous apartment, I knew the people on the floor by sight, said hello if I bumped into them, and occasionally chatted about building issues. And in each case, I had one person in the building who I would occasionally call and chat with about building issues, and now one person with whom I've gone out to lunch a couple of times over the years.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:36 PM

346 posts, read 383,362 times
I say hello and have a quick chat with a few of the neighbors. There is a new couple that just bought the house across the street that come over and talk and give the dog treats. The two families i was closest with just moved out of state after being on the block 50 years.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:53 PM

56 posts, read 75,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What do you mean, "do you communicate with your neighbors typically"? I'm not sure whether I communicate typically or atypically.

For this and my previous apartment, I knew the people on the floor by sight, said hello if I bumped into them, and occasionally chatted about building issues. And in each case, I had one person in the building who I would occasionally call and chat with about building issues, and now one person with whom I've gone out to lunch a couple of times over the years.
Ah, apologies. I meant communicate in the terms of talking.

edit: nvm as it seems that I can't edit my original post

Old 01-02-2015, 05:02 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
The neighbors on my floor that I know by sight usually say hello and there is one particular neighbor that we are friendly enough to chat when we run into each other. Most of the other people that live in my apt. building there is usually no interaction although occasionally someone says a polite greeting/hello.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 AM

364 posts, read 708,343 times
I talk to my next door neighbors once in a while, when we see each other on our way to work/ coming home/ going out. During summer time we would sit on the front porch and chat after dinner time till late into the night. I have a very good relationship with my neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: