Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:36 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Those two areas are probably the best kept secret of Queens (next to Addisleigh Park)

Merrick Blvd in Laurelton has become much better and better as time went along when it comes to shopping! And hopefully Merrick Blvd and Linden Blvd continue to improve, both neighborhoods have the population density and affluence for commercial growth.
Too far. And too many vans. Beautiful 1920s tudors as someone said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Easy easy easy, It's an opinion and SUBJECTIVE. Yes, I stand by my list but would add Douglaston and Little Neck.
Too far. Might as well go to Jersey.

Quote:
Roosevelt Ave is a dump. I understand that the Historic Area doesn't comprise of Roosevelt Ave.
JH Historic District is landmarked, and is basically the Garden Apartment Buildings, a few churches, one or two public school and private religious schools. 34th Avenue runs through it and has a nice dedicated bike lane. It's a world away from Roosevelt Ave's Bangkok look-alike.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:00 PM

555 posts, read 617,213 times
Roosevelt ave is probably what keeps JH such a bargain... it's silly to judge a neighborhood by that ave though, but I guess since it's the first thing you see when you get off the train most people don't bother to look beyond.

I basically only go to roosevelt to take the train, you can do everything else that you need to without ever going to roosevelt. That being said, Roose is not even really dangerous, just ugly and dirty with the train above... but there are some great places there.

I grew up in Chelsea, in the projects though. But no one would ever say Chelsea is a bad hood just because of a stretch of projects.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:01 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Too far. Might as well go to Jersey.

JH Historic District is landmarked, and is basically the Garden Apartment Buildings, a few churches, one or two public school and private religious schools. 34th Avenue runs through it and has a nice dedicated bike lane. It's a world away from Roosevelt Ave's Bangkok look-alike.
Still have to get to 74th st and 82nd st for the Iron Horse. Unless your taking a magic carpet ride, which is easy to purchase in JH

Old 01-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Still have to get to 74th st and 82nd st for the Iron Horse. Unless your taking a magic carpet ride, which is easy to purchase in JH
Yep. At the dollar stores.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
Roosevelt ave is probably what keeps JH such a bargain... it's silly to judge a neighborhood by that ave though, but I guess since it's the first thing you see when you get off the train most people don't bother to look beyond.

I basically only go to roosevelt to take the train, you can do everything else that you need to without ever going to roosevelt. That being said, Roose is not even really dangerous, just ugly and dirty with the train above... but there are some great places there.

I grew up in Chelsea, in the projects though. But no one would ever say Chelsea is a bad hood just because of a stretch of projects.
Still didn't answer the question about amenities, park land and schools. That's cool that they do the farmer market thing once a week. Still have native JH friends who still reside there. They both went to St Joan Of Arc. I asked them point blank. How's the area? It's different from when they grew up. They both would be gone if they had kids. One of them doesn't have a car which is a huge plus over there.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Still didn't answer the question about amenities, park land and schools. That's cool that they do the farmer market thing once a week. Still have native JH friends who still reside there. They both went to St Joan Of Arc. I asked them point blank. How's the area? It's different from when they grew up. They both would be gone if they had kids. One of them doesn't have a car which is a huge plus over there.
Other places in Queens don't have parks. Rego Park has no park. Woodside, LIC, Maspeth. Even vast majority of Forest Hills is not close to any parks, unless you cross the wretched Union Tpke.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:17 PM

555 posts, read 617,213 times
Quote:
lol dude wtf? I'm giving my opinion, who are you that I have to answer to? If you don't like the area that's fine... everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Amenities here are great to me, everything within walking distance at very affordable prices. great restuarants at great prices. That's the biggest reason I moved here, much cheaper day to day living.

Parks? That's not something many areas offer or that I'm concerned too much with. but there are several great parks i can easily drive to. I dont go to parks every day so driving is fine.

Schools? I don't have kids, haven't researched and don't really care to. schools in NYC in general are over-crowded... no way around that.

I'm sure the area is different now, just like every other area in NYC has...

if you're looking for a safe, affordable, convenient place in NYC, you can't go wrong here.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:20 PM

256 posts, read 311,582 times
Quote:
They both would be gone if they had kids.
Why? I see so many new couples coming with kids to live in JH.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
lol dude wtf? I'm giving my opinion, who are you that I have to answer to? If you don't like the area that's fine... everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Amenities here are great to me, everything within walking distance at very affordable prices. great restuarants at great prices. That's the biggest reason I moved here, much cheaper day to day living.

Parks? That's not something many areas offer or that I'm concerned too much with. but there are several great parks i can easily drive to. I dont go to parks every day so driving is fine.

Schools? I don't have kids, haven't researched and don't really care to. schools in NYC in general are over-crowded... no way around that.

I'm sure the area is different now, just like every other area in NYC has...

if you're looking for a safe, affordable, convenient place in NYC, you can't go wrong here.
Well your the first one to fly off the handle on my opinion. SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City