Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiote View Post
Oh hey, I also attend NYU, junior currently. With a scholarship even, probably about the same as yours.

As bad as the dorms may seem to you, they're really quite good in terms of size and quality. Each suite gets a bathroom -- a lot of other schools have "prison showers". What the others said about college students being loud no matter what is unfortunately true. If they're being excessive, you could bring it up with your RA.

Having an apartment to oneself is pretty expensive these days in the city. Your best chances will be in the outer boroughs. I actually endorse the idea of moving off campus because you can get a larger and better space for yourself for less money than the dorms if you're willing to spend a bit of time commuting each day. If you want to live in proximity to other students, your best bet within your budget is probably somewhere in Bushwick.

As for the other problems you've been having, maybe you could call up the wellness center. If there's anything else you'd like to know about life specific to the school you can ask me.
Maybe you can private message the OP? He or she may not come back often to read the thread and dealing with these issue privately may be a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 08:57 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NYU and dorming in NYC is a huge money sink all that will probably put you in a huge student debt load. After you graduate out of college you'll realize the salaries in the real world can only barely pay you enough for living expenses and student loans. Then you'll meet people who graduate from other schools that are better or capable and don't owe that much money. They also enjoy the NYC live and have less to worry about like a big student debt. Well if you had daddy helping you out more power to you.
If you read the OP's post, you'd see he has a full ride. He won't owe a penny...

Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM

138 posts, read 208,104 times
I gave up nearly a full ride at a prestigious college in Boston because I had similar (if not quite so extreme) reactions to dorm life, etc. I don't want to say it was a terrible mistake because my life is very happy and fulfilling 20+ years on, but I do wish I'd sought someone out to counsel me and help me cope with the huge change and my path would have probably been easier if I'd stuck it out. Moving away from home to a radically different environment is difficult, even for the most well-adjusted people, and it sounds like you may have some anxiety issues. I strongly recommend that you go to NYU's health center and talk this all over with a counselor. There are a lot of techniques you can learn to help you cope with those overwhelming feelings, and the health center can also plug you into campus resources for finding alternative housing if you need to go that route. You're not alone and there are people at NYU whose job it is to help you. You had the will and the organization to apply to college on your own, get out of an unhappy home situation, and secure a valuable scholarship--you can deal with this situation, too.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 450 times
Default Options besides a dorm or leasing an apt.

My daughter left the dorms after the first year in NYC (after a 4-person room, not a suite). We discovered female-only residences in the city. So far she has stayed in three. Google/check out The Markle (most expensive option; single, double, quad room options, includes meals); St. Mary's Residence (about $930 a month and you get your own room); Brandon Residence for Women (varying rates, own room, includes some meals); Centro Maria Residence (singles and doubles, includes some meals; curfew). Some places may have rules, so look into that. But you can avoid the partying atmosphere of the dorms at least. If you like the school and your major, and you've got the scholarship, then find a housing option that you can live with. Good luck, and hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City