Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,869 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to Brooklyn for a few months. He is a musician and is currently recording.

We will be subletting in a couple of locations, and in the meantime need to have a soundproof room/studio where he can go and work every day. He has all his own equipment- we really just need the space.

It needs to be safe enough to leave equipment over night.

Our budget is up to $500 pm.

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate all and any suggestions.

Last edited by MariaSC; 01-06-2015 at 04:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,005 times
In addition to whatever might come up here, try googling Recording Studios in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and start networking leads from those places.

If Wmsburg prices don't suit you, try same thing in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

Both neighborhoods are full of musicians -- and coffee.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:05 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
The only type of private space that I can think of for your purposes is a garage stall separated from the house or a space in a lightly used one story commercial building. Private single stall garages are hard to find in Brooklyn, but Staten Island and Queens have many available. Practice rooms in a recording studio or music school aren't for rent on a monthly basis but can be rented by the hour. Most residential studios and apartments in Bklyn are not sound proofed and the neighbors would be up in arms if there is a lot of noise like a deep bass that vibrates through the walls.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,344 times
I don't know if this will help you, but in the building where I play hockey at there is a recording studio or practice space or something that you can rent out. I have no idea what it's called or the pricing, but I know where it is.

It's attached to the city ice pavillion in long island city. 32nd pl and a block and half south of Queens Blvd.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
...and start networking leads from those places.
I didn't mean to rent inside the recording studios; I was suggesting OP ask musicians who use those studios what they do to find their own practice rooms elsewhere in Brooklyn.

The Lucy Moses School, in Manhattan near Lincoln Center, definitely rents practice rooms: Studios & Practice Rooms

In Brooklyn, try asking at Jalopy Music School if they do, or what they know about room rentals: Jalopy Theatre and School of Music, Brooklyn's Best Live Music Venue! Learn to play Banjo, Mandolin, Guitar, Ukelele, Fiddle and more. There's a big difference in sound impact between acoustic v. electronic instruments, obviously.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 01-07-2015 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-07-2015, 01:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,537 times
http://www.empire-rehearsal-studios.com/

Think their Queens location is the same as the one skinnayyy mentioned, but they have a Brooklyn one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City