Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 09:27 AM

15 posts, read 17,977 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the States on March 2015, for a job opportunity in Manhattan. However, I have no idea where to live: NY or NJ. I currently live in Ecuador, South America. All the info I can get is through the internet.

I'm married and have a one year old daughter. My husband most likely will stay home to take care of her.

In this context, I'm looking for the following:

2+ bedroom apt., max USD 1,750 (I need a rent that will allow me to safe as much in order to buy a house, I don`t like the idea of renting)

30-45 commute.

Access to Metro stations, or PATH, or NJ transit (Port Authority). If there are more transportation options, please inform me.

Safety, and community feel.

great public libraries, parks, kid friendly places.

I can't think of anything else.

With this info, first i need to figure out wheter to live in NJ or in NY. I have read that NJ has cheaper rentals, but transportation is more expensive, especially if I take the bus to port authority and then the metro, to move in manhattan.

Second, once decided upon either one, i need to figure out what town is safe, and has all the characteristics listed above.

I would really appreciate any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 AM

25,364 posts, read 36,922,563 times
You might be happiest starting in a Hispanic neighborhood like Union City or West New York, or Jersey City Heights, all in NJ.
Easy bus commute into Port Authority.

In Manhattan, you might find the East Side North of 96th both Hispanic friendly and lower rent.
Safety varies by neighborhood.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,711,426 times
Where you are working will help out a lot too.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,574,247 times
IF you're not making over $90k, you will have nothing left after rent and expense and be like other folks at my job that are going paycheck to paycheck and worry if they lose their job they will be kicked out.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:05 PM

I'm sorry, but what does your answer have to do with my question? I know people that earn less than $90k and live comfortably and are also able to safe. It all depends on how you manage your finances.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:25 PM

31 posts, read 54,872 times
Stay in Ecuador. You have to understand that opportunities here only belong to people that are from here. If only you understood how it felt like to be priced out of where you lived your entire life because of people snagging jobs and property from other parts of the country and the world, you never would have even thought about deciding this. You're just being opportunistic and wanting to add something to your resume. Neither state is good for you or your family.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:46 AM

Wow... I am for the US and lived in NJ, Guttenberg all my childhood and teenage years. Moved to Ecuador for college because it's really good and cheaper. So I'm basically moving back and for a job opportunity. If a company in nyc takes the time to contact me in another country and offer me a job, I'm not taking anything from anybody. I published this post to get ideas as to where it's better to live, nj or nyc.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoryBlizzard View Post
Stay in Ecuador. You have to understand that opportunities here only belong to people that are from here. If only you understood how it felt like to be priced out of where you lived your entire life because of people snagging jobs and property from other parts of the country and the world, you never would have even thought about deciding this. You're just being opportunistic and wanting to add something to your resume. Neither state is good for you or your family.
And also I was born in Manhattan.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:13 AM

624 posts, read 979,189 times
Ignore the previous poster. He is pissed off about gentrification and thinks giving people bad advice to stay out of NYC will make any difference to anyone.

There are a lot of neighborhoods in NJ right across the Hudson River. I don't know what they go for these days in terms of rent, but getting into Manhattan is easy by bus.

If you want to be in NYC proper then you're probably looking at maybe neighborhoods in far out Brooklyn and the Bronx. I don't know much about Queens.

Inwood / Washington Heights in upper Manhattan east of Broadway may have options for you. The east side is a bit rough but you can always take your kid and go west to the nicer areas for playgrounds and kid activities.

In the Bronx you can consider Pelham Parkway, Kingsbridge, and Bedford Park. Schools will be an issue as always.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,055,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliRodg View Post
Wow... I am for the US and lived in NJ, Guttenberg all my childhood and teenage years. Moved to Ecuador for college because it's really good and cheaper. So I'm basically moving back and for a job opportunity. If a company in nyc takes the time to contact me in another country and offer me a job, I'm not taking anything from anybody. I published this post to get ideas as to where it's better to live, nj or nyc.
Don't worry about it -- the guy is a troll who has nothing better to do but make dozens of posts on here telling people who are not NY natives that they should stay away. You could check his posting history to see he's a broken record (and a troll) but don't waste your time on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City