Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times

Advertisements

City Island named 'Neighborhood of the Year' | New York City Informer

I'm not mad at them, but I'd like to know what factored into the decision making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post

I'm not mad at them, but I'd like to know what factored into the decision making.
It says it was the Curbed Cup winner. That is just a contest where anyone can nominate a neighborhood, and then there's a voting process. So I guess if all the residents of City Island were really motivated to go on the website every day and vote, then they could come out on top. The 2013 winner was St. George.

The Curbed Cup is Coming! Name 2014's Best Neighborhood! - Curbed Cup 2014 - Curbed NY

Old 01-06-2015, 10:06 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
You can't take this type of voting process serious. It is held during holiday weekend (Christmas through New Years). There would be a huge decline in website traffic leading to random places being selected due to small minority who favor a specific area. Most people are on vacation and traveling, they are not surfing the internet at work.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:

Transplant from the Midwest ask. Is city Island near Williamsburg or the lower east side?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:

It's an opinion. I like City Island, not for me in terms of wanting to live there but I like that it's a bit quirky and quaint in a sort of New England town way all while not being that far from NYC.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's an opinion. I like City Island, not for me in terms of wanting to live there but I like that it's a bit quirky and quaint in a sort of New England town way all while not being that far from NYC.
And about to get a lot closer in 2 years when the new metro north line comes.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:32 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Not far at all considering it IS part of New York City!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It says it was the Curbed Cup winner. That is just a contest where anyone can nominate a neighborhood, and then there's a voting process. So I guess if all the residents of City Island were really motivated to go on the website every day and vote, then they could come out on top. The 2013 winner was St. George.

The Curbed Cup is Coming! Name 2014's Best Neighborhood! - Curbed Cup 2014 - Curbed NY
For the life of me, I don't understand how St. George in Staten Island won. They don't have nearly the nice restaurants and ambiance of City Island.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
At least one City Islander was less than thrilled with the bragging-rights only competition.

“We’re very excited and couldn’t be more taken away with winning a contest that means absolutely nothing,” said City Island Civic Association member John Doyle.

City Island earns top spot in annual New York nabe contest - NY Daily News

Old 01-07-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
At least one City Islander was less than thrilled with the bragging-rights only competition.

“We’re very excited and couldn’t be more taken away with winning a contest that means absolutely nothing,” said City Island Civic Association member John Doyle.

City Island earns top spot in annual New York nabe contest - NY Daily News
City Island is far larger than St. George too. So this is not that big of deal then. Never heard of it until yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: