Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:18 PM

530 posts, read 662,995 times

Advertisements

When I was a child we lived near the NBC studio in Brooklyn. We saw and (in those days) spoke to them all. The list of celebrities is too long to even mention. Just being in Manhattan you see a ton of movers and shakers but as you get older you realize that they are just people like the rest of us.

Recently I purchased a quilt in a quilt shop in Pennsylvania Dutch country. The lady in the store complimented my taste and informed me that an almost exact quilt had been purchased days before by Johnny Mathis. She told me that I could tell that fact to everyone when I showed off the quilt. I informed her that she could tell all her customers that I bought the quilt and Mathis bought one just like it. This is how I really feel now. I sometimes feel sorry for the people in the spotlight. How awful it must be to not be anonymous and to have the entire world watching every move you make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 03:32 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,960,032 times
Recently.

Matts zuccarello (ny rangers)
Method man
Peter dinklage

Old 01-09-2015, 03:41 PM

573 posts, read 1,457,544 times
Bumped into the Dexter dude last summer

Old 01-09-2015, 04:06 PM

650 posts, read 1,805,558 times
Only 2 weeks ago I saw Norman Reedus (Daryl from the Walking Dead) sitting outside Balthazar. I consider him the most famous celebrity I've come across because I'm a huge fan of the show. Prior to that I saw Cameron Diaz by SoHo last year.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:48 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post

It would be interesting to study which neighborhood has the highest incidence of such encounters.
Theater District hands down.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:55 PM

4,157 posts, read 4,007,547 times
Richard Burton walked past me at JFK airport a few years before he died. I've seen two presidents in motorcades, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. I saw Mario Cuomo in the 1990s walking to work at his law firm. I saw Ed Koch in the parking lot at Shea Stadium after game 7 in 1986.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:53 PM

15,457 posts, read 15,425,363 times
Not on the street, per se. But in restaurants, in theaters, etc.

The single most famous person - not counting the time I shook hands with Bill Clinton, because that wasn't quite so random; it was in conjunction with volunteering - was probably Katharine Hepburn. I actually had something I would have said to her, because we have a mutual acquaintance. But it was in a doctor's office, and I felt that would be unbearably intrusive.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:26 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,691,157 times
Robert Downy
Alan Alda
Rosie O'Donnell
Donald Trump
Matthew Morrison
Isaac Hayes
Chuck Scarborough (NBC News)
Dr. Ruth Westheimer (sp?)

so many others

Old 01-09-2015, 08:35 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,771,424 times
I haven't lived in Manhattan since the early 90's, so my response is dated. I was terrible at recognizing people, but a lot of my friends were into celebrities and would point people out.

Only a few stand out:

Tom Selleck in an uptown bar. I had never really thought of him as good-looking but when I saw him in person I was really impressed..he had this almost glow about him.

In a café on the UES (Sarabeth's I think)I saw Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. They had an apartment very nearby - somewhere in the low 90's I think. I was surprised by how short Paul was, but he had beautiful eyes and a really beautiful smile. He was talking with an employee there, or maybe the owner, I just remember the guy looking so thrilled to be talking to them and going on and on, and Paul and Joanne just standing there, smiling, letting him talk and seeming very engaged.

I've never approached a celebrity - I'm too embarrassed.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:20 PM

8,901 posts, read 4,686,614 times
Stephen Baldwin (who was amused I didn't recognize him) at Starbucks
the late Princess Diana (outside Christie's Auction House when she was auctioning her dresses)
the late Gerald Ford (he was in the crowd at a B'way show)
Bill O'Reilly (near Rockefeller Ctr, he had this intense crazy look, he scared me!)
Donald Trump (outside Trump Tower, prancing around as if he owned Manhattan)
Michelle Pfeiffer (Soho, I didn't recognize her but my friend did and even said hello)
John Williams and Steven Speilberg (Tanglewood)
Lyle Lovett (outside the Sheraton at 53rd & 7th Avenue)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City