Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:03 AM

147 posts, read 162,028 times

Advertisements

So I'm considering on buying a multi family soon and renting out both units to bring in some extra income... does anyone know about renting out to section 8 housing? headache? easy?

The biggest con I found was inspectors checking the property very thoroughly... the pro though is the consistent payments and not having to worry about non payments basically..

anyone else rent out to section 8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 02:57 AM

664 posts, read 807,220 times
I have close friends who've gone the Section 8 route with mixed (but mostly negative) experience.

At the risk of over-generalizing (and yet, the generalization is *generally* quite accurate), people in subsidized housing tend to have a different mindset towards the care of their homes than do the people who pay every dollar of their rent (or mortgages) themselves; that being, they really DON'T care.

There's a reason why kitchen appliances, for instance, are mandated by law to be replaced far before the end of their usual lifetimes; it's because Section 8 tenants abuse and beat the hell out of them.

Ditto for the fixtures, doors, toilets, bathtubs, light switches, and just about everything else -- which is the reason behind the more thorough (and frequent) inspections.

So in exchange for those guaranteed checks from the government, you can expect:

-- considerably more wear and tear on your property
-- because of a lack of a stable employment situation with your tenants, more noise and general "disturbance" from domestic disputes (not to mention visits from the police).

And I wouldn't want to live in one of the units in the house as the landlord if you're planning on going Section 8, unless you don't mind making your home smack in the middle all this.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:54 AM

5,860 posts, read 3,297,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
I have close friends who've gone the Section 8 route with mixed (but mostly negative) experience.

At the risk of over-generalizing (and yet, the generalization is *generally* quite accurate), people in subsidized housing tend to have a different mindset towards the care of their homes than do the people who pay every dollar of their rent (or mortgages) themselves; that being, they really DON'T care.

There's a reason why kitchen appliances, for instance, are mandated by law to be replaced far before the end of their usual lifetimes; it's because Section 8 tenants abuse and beat the hell out of them.

Ditto for the fixtures, doors, toilets, bathtubs, light switches, and just about everything else -- which is the reason behind the more thorough (and frequent) inspections.

So in exchange for those guaranteed checks from the government, you can expect:

-- considerably more wear and tear on your property
-- because of a lack of a stable employment situation with your tenants, more noise and general "disturbance" from domestic disputes (not to mention visits from the police).

And I wouldn't want to live in one of the units in the house as the landlord if you're planning on going Section 8, unless you don't mind making your home smack in the middle all this.

Good luck.
Couldn't agree more. Every time we had to go to section 8 housing for a call it was terrible. They don't care about the place at all.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:06 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
If the Section 8 tenant is an elderly person, I doubt one would have the problems mentioned above as usually they have SSI as well as Section 8 and wouldn't necessarily being abusing the property or appliances.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan2015 View Post
Elderly people are the exception. But they are not the bulk of the Section 8 tenant stock. The other kind are.
The problem is, once you're approved to accept Section 8 and you get "the other kind" coming to you with their vouchers, it would then be a violation of most state laws to turn them down.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 AM

275 posts, read 572,395 times
Lots of landlords never receive the tenants portion of the rent. The tenants generally move every year or two, after they have damaged the apartment. It's definitely not a quick, easy buck.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:01 AM

624 posts, read 982,695 times
I'd only consider it if I was planning to gut renovate the entire apartment in a few years after they moved out anyway. Even then its still a huge gamble. Section 8 really is not worth it. These people will destroy your property and give you endless headaches.

I've seen several section 8 houses in my area get drug busts by cops over the years. One house still has a huge dent on the front door from the swat team. Recently, one section 8 neighbor had an old car leaking anti-freeze all over their driveway. Of course they wouldn't do anything about it and as a result we believe it may have killed our neighbors dog who one time came and licked it. We finally had to bark at the landlord of that house to force them to fix it.

Rent your apartment out to a working market rate tenant who has good credit, income, and can afford the rent. This is NYC, there is no shortage of people searching for apartments. If you price it well you should find someone in no time.

Last edited by fmatthew5876; 01-14-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 07:13 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
NEVER.
get a regular working person or couple that have weekly paychecks.

why would anyone want to rent to section 8?, is beyond me.

who needs all these rules and headaches.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
why would anyone want to rent to section 8?, is beyond me.
Local economies turn down. Neighborhoods decline. All of a sudden a piece of property that's been in your family for two generations has had the area around it turn to crap. And now "market rate" people wouldn't dream of living there.

Sometimes Section 8 tenants are the ONLY tenants you can get.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 AM

913 posts, read 2,272,872 times
I'm a bit confused by the OP.

Can someone clarify if the OP lives in a section 8 apartment and wants to buy a house to live in and then rent out the section 8 apartment once he/she moves into the new house they purchased? They want to keep the section 8 apartment and rent it out as additional income?

That is what the post seems to say, but I'm a bit unclear.

I didn't know in section 8 housing that inspectors come in. When they come in, don't they ask for ID to confirm the person they are inspecting is indeed the person on the lease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City