Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 23,981 times

Advertisements

Hello! Would love opinions, of the good and the bad, on living in Hamilton Heights vs Hudson Heights. And I get that these may be coined terms but I use them instead of Harlem and Washington Heights purely for descriptive purposes. In either 'hood, we intend to be west of Broadway. About us: We are a married couple in our early/mid 30s, no kids, two dogs. We are moving from Queens bc one of us is transferring to a NJ office, 20 minutes by bus from Port Authority so we thought these neighborhoods would work because of A train (other works two blocks from Penn Station) and the rents for one bedrooms seem to be in or price range. We love a lively neighborhood - although do want to be able to sleep after midnight - so long as it's also safe. And safe doesn't mean crime free but I also want to be able to walk home alone at night if need be. We'd rather it feel more city than suburban/sleepy, and are generally happy when we have easy access to strong coffee and a good place to grab a drink and bite when we don't feel like cooking, which we love to do, so proximity to good produce, butcher, fishmonger is also key. I'm told there are good grocers in either neighborhood (eg Fairway, Franks, Jins) but my question to you is...which to pick and why? Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:00 PM

624 posts, read 982,218 times
Both are safe and good ideas areas. Hamilton heights is a bit more affordable.

Hudson Heights (north of 181, west of Bennet) has a decent K-8 public school so if you're planning to have kids that would be a better option. I also like Hudson heights better because there are more parks in the area and I generally prefer the vibe and feeling of the area. Its also more convenient to NJ and Westchester County if you own a car.

Commute time via the A train is fine for both options. Hamilton Heights is a bit closer but not by much to really matter. The A train curves east in Hamilton Heights so your closest train west of broadway would be the 1. The A train also only stops at 145th, so depending on where you end up if not the 1 train you may be stuck with the local C train at 155th and/or 135th.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:03 PM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
Hudson Heights is much more "settled" and established.

Hamilton Heights, depending on the block, is still a bit dicey safety-wise (particularly at night). And forget about neighborhood amenities like restaurants and grocery stores; Broadway is a vast wasteland of bodegas and fast food. It's not really a neighborhood you'd be spending a lot of time hanging out in, as opposed to Hudson Heights.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Both are safe and good ideas areas. Hamilton heights is a bit more affordable.

Hudson Heights (north of 181, west of Bennet) has a decent K-8 public school so if you're planning to have kids that would be a better option. I also like Hudson heights better because there are more parks in the area and I generally prefer the vibe and feeling of the area. Its also more convenient to NJ and Westchester County if you own a car.

Commute time via the A train is fine for both options. Hamilton Heights is a bit closer but not by much to really matter. The A train curves east in Hamilton Heights so your closest train west of broadway would be the 1. The A train also only stops at 145th, so depending on where you end up if not the 1 train you may be stuck with the local C train at 155th and/or 135th.
Realistically, you wouldn't be using 135th at all if you were in Hamilton Heights. You have to go through the park, uphill, then continue uphill to get to Amsterdam, and then walk a long block downhill to get to Broadway (since the OP is looking to live west of Broadway).

From 145th, the OP would have the option of taking the Bx19 to reach the (A) or (D). Since Riverside Drive is at the bottom of a hill, that might end up being the OP's preferred commute. (The bus does go up the hill from Riverside to Broadway, but once you're on the bus, you might as well stay on for a few more stops to catch the express train). Though to be fair, the (1) is pretty fast for a local, and also has the countdown clocks (which can be accessed using the SubwayTime app: http://apps.mta.info/traintime/

For Hudson Heights, the (A) is right in the immediate neighborhood. The (1) requires you to take a bus further down (I would do that rather than take the (A) for a couple of stops

Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 AM

7 posts, read 23,981 times
NYC television brings up a point I should have added to my original post which is that although we regularly go downtown to hang out we don't want to feel like we have to to do so. I'm hearing leanings toward Hudson. There seems to be some debate over whether the surgery boundary of Hudson Heights is the GWB or the area in the 170s by JHW park. Positives/negatives on being north or south of the bridge?

Last edited by wheretolivenyc; 01-15-2015 at 05:19 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 06:36 AM

571 posts, read 790,604 times
Ft Washington Ave (north of "Hudson Heights" I guess) is exceptionally nice, if you have the dough. Some really cool Art Deco apartment buildings there.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
My vote goes for Hudson Heights, I actually might be moving up there in July myself. I never really found Hamilton Heights to be all that to my tastes whereas I go up even north of 168th and I get my favorite grocery store in the city, Key Foods on 172nd and 186th (roughly), Koronet's 32in pizza, and some really tasty restaurants along Broadway. There's this one fish place that gave me two filet's of Tilapia and a huge plate of rice for only $10 somewhere around 175th.

More to the point, I find what's considered Hudson Heights to be absolutely beautiful. Fort Tyron Park is just lovely to stroll into during the warm months with its flower garden and wonderful terrace where I swear there's a wedding going on every other week. Views from that little spot on 181st and on the terrace are gorgeous; especially the GWB at night when it's all lit up. Crime-wise I've never felt at danger, and while I'm not the best to advocate it, I do make at least bi-weekly trips up there as it is because of friends on the east side of Broadway on 185th and 179th (St Nicholas). It's really a different world when you cross Broadway, though I find that it's gotten much better even from what I remember 4.5 years ago.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:20 AM

624 posts, read 982,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Hamilton Heights, depending on the block, is still a bit dicey safety-wise (particularly at night). And forget about neighborhood amenities like restaurants and grocery stores; Broadway is a vast wasteland of bodegas and fast food. It's not really a neighborhood you'd be spending a lot of time hanging out in, as opposed to Hudson Heights.
Its not a complete wasteland. There are some restaurants on Broadway the last time I was there. Probably even more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretolivenyc View Post
NYC television brings up a point I should have added to my original post which is that although we regularly go downtown to hang out we don't want to feel like we have to to do so. I'm hearing leanings toward Hudson. There seems to be some debate over whether the surgery boundary of Hudson Heights is the GWB or the area in the 170s by JHW park. Positives/negatives on being north or south of the bridge?

The name "Hudson Heights" is an invention by realtors. Its border shrinks and expands depending on the location of the apartment they are currently trying to sell you. The areas of upper manhattan that I like is basically the whole corridor north of the hospital, west of broadway, all the way up to inwood hill park.

Both areas are perfectly fine for a young couple. North of 181st is the nice area. Its much more expensive there and its more family oriented. This neighborhood is packed with kids. You've got the Cloisters and the A train is very convenient at 184 and 190th.

Down the hill on Bennett ave is a nice area as well. Its mostly Jewish and they have some nice apartments. Both 184 and 190 A train stations have entrances on the lower side of the hill and the upper side.

Between 181 and the GWB is also fine, I used to live there. 181st street is always lit up and busy at all hours so you'll never feel unsafe. It also has a fun night life / city vibe to it. Walking home from the parking garage was always a joy. Living near 181st also gives you fast access to Fort Washington Park down by the Hudson River. If you haven't been there yet go because its awesome.

South near Jay Hood Park has more students and people working at Columbia hospital. Its a little more gritty there but still perfectly fine. Apartments may be a little bit more affordable here but not by much.

Another area I see becoming popular is east of Broadway up across from Ft Tryon park south of Dyckman. The area right across from the park I see white faces coming and going. Broadway there is quiet and pretty with the park on the other side. People are pushing east.

You could also try East of Broadway near 181-184 and Wadsworth if you want to try to budget more. I saw some people coming in and out of buildings there.

Ultimately your decision might come down to which apartments are available at the time you decide to start looking. All areas of the neighborhood are great.

Last edited by fmatthew5876; 01-15-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 09:48 AM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
Quote:
All areas of the neighborhood are great.
I disagree.

Unless you don't mind the sounds of domestic disputes raging, car sirens blaring, glass bottles smashing, and salsa music blasting at all hours of the night, stay WEST of Broadway only.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:25 AM

424 posts, read 973,573 times
Quote:

Another area I see becoming popular is east of Broadway up across from Ft Tryon park south of Dyckman as someone mentioned.
That's an area to consider Broadway across from the park is also something to consider but Broadway isn't that quiet around up near Dyckman (or in general). Dyckman Street and the surrounding blocks suffer from excessive traffic noise and bar crowd rowdiness during the summer months due to the nightclubs along Dyckman near Broadway and especially La Marina (which draws thousands of sport bikers from the Tri-State region every weekend who love to rev their engines and show off in the streets) nearby on the Hudson Riverfront. The NYPD have been better at ticketing them due to Vision Zero but they're still a major neighborhood nuisance which caused me to move away about 2 years ago to the burbs.

Though, Inwood is gentrifying so the area west of Broadway might start looking more like Hudson Heights a few years from now. North of 207th Street near Indian Road Park is nice, especially Park Terrace East and West so that area to consider as well.

Hudson Heights around Ft Washington Avenue and 190th would get my vote. Amazing Hudson River views, one of the nicest areas in Upper Manhattan and it feels like a small town. Though, rents are going up steadily in that area since it has been gaining more popularity recently...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City