Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

When I was in high school, I used to attend a federal funded academic program called the trio program which were available on CUNY campus. The program was available to all people but mainly for minorities, and low income whites. The program was not bad, since grants were used for Sat, Act and NYS regents prep. Also students were able to visit colleges and during the summer months the program will take students upstate to stay a college and experiment with college life. Also free tutoring was also available in various subjects. If anyone has a kid in public high school and is hoping for their child to go to to a good college. Please look into trio programs. I also used to tutor history and science to students at this program some years I graduated high school. One thing I learned about colleges and coming from NYC is that colleges do not look kindly on new Yorkers especially those who are minorities and blue collar whites due to poor academic achievement. Such programs like trio help students greatly achieve and open doors to a good college and smashing stereotypes of inner city youths. I remember some parents who were very middle class would cheat the system and remove thier kids from their household and let then live with grand parents so that they can qualify for a seat in a trio program.

Sorry for the typos. Using an android phone.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-16-2015 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:00 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
I still believe in diversity at CUNY! This coming from an alum (Baruch grad school). What I have learned from fellow students from various countries around the world, in addition to top of the game professors, is astounding!

That being said, and as I said before, the increasing demand for CUNY's affordability has created a situation where there are now so many good applications and resumes, that it appears that the school, in response, is using the SAT as a deciding factor in admission. And it is unfortunate that the sad state of the NYC public school system, despite some exceptions, means that it may not have properly prepared its kids in all areas, or any areas at all, whether one likes the SAT or not!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
It appears that the article has been revised! I may be way late with the info, but.....!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
It appears that the article has been revised! I may be way late with the info, but.....!
I guess the author was reading all the holes I poked into his biased examples. The main evidence of his entire article has been removed. Idiot thinking that everyone is a numbskull lacking critical thinking skills. City data 1 -reporter lacking integrity 0

Old 01-16-2015, 09:39 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolny1 View Post

The best part is when you think in dichotomies; the poster who mentioned non-coding jobs in the IT market doesn't understand that someone who understands code and has a management background will make far more than the average joe.

Stop separating social skills and grades in terms of importance and do both.
My point is that if coding is not your strong point, and it's not for everyone, there are other jobs that people with excellent interpersonal skills can excel in within these "hot" tech companies and these jobs pay well. Not everyone can "do both" well. Some people excel at some things and not others. Knowing what you're good at, and focusing on that can actually help you in the long run. There are some brilliant developers at my company. Hell, we compete with Google for tech talent. However, I would never, ever put most of them in front of a client or prospect. Most have have zero social skills and are awkward with verbal communication. Some who are good at both, can manage teams or departments but do you really think everyone is meant to be management material? Of course not that's why many people function as individual contributors.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:11 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I still believe in diversity at CUNY! This coming from an alum (Baruch grad school). What I have learned from fellow students from various countries around the world, in addition to top of the game professors, is astounding!

That being said, and as I said before, the increasing demand for CUNY's affordability has created a situation where there are now so many good applications and resumes, that it appears that the school, in response, is using the SAT as a deciding factor in admission. And it is unfortunate that the sad state of the NYC public school system, despite some exceptions, means that it may not have properly prepared its kids in all areas, or any areas at all, whether one likes the SAT or not!

Unfortunately, that's not really what "diversity" means as it is used in the US.
Diversity here means differently colored Americans.

In my suburban school district we have Japanese, Korean, British, Chinese, Hong Kong, Brazilian, Colombian, Ecuadorian, Croatian, French, German, Filipino, Bangladeshi, Indian, Nigerian, and Lebanese first generation immigrant students. Its very interesting, but wouldn't be considered "diverse"....

Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM

26 posts, read 25,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
My point is that if coding is not your strong point, and it's not for everyone, there are other jobs that people with excellent interpersonal skills can excel in within these "hot" tech companies and these jobs pay well. Not everyone can "do both" well. Some people excel at some things and not others. Knowing what you're good at, and focusing on that can actually help you in the long run. There are some brilliant developers at my company. Hell, we compete with Google for tech talent. However, I would never, ever put most of them in front of a client or prospect. Most have have zero social skills and are awkward with verbal communication. Some who are good at both, can manage teams or departments but do you really think everyone is meant to be management material? Of course not that's why many people function as individual contributors.
Nonsense, you can do what you put effort into doing. The same way you may excel in social skills is the same for learning how to code; it's really in the amount of practice you do in each particular field. Thinking otherwise is self-limiting and self-defeating.

Management can be taught, heck my degree is specifically for management and public administration. What you really mean to say is the average person is not willing to learn or improve themselves to be good at both. The american average is pathetic and it shows with how our companies perform. Look at our city government and tell me if you see greatness as the average.

When you hire based on reasons other than capacity and aptitude you get mediocrity.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Nonsense, you can do what you put effort into doing. The same way you may excel in social skills is the same for learning how to code; it's really in the amount of practice you do in each particular field. Thinking otherwise is self-limiting and self-defeating.

Management can be taught, heck my degree is specifically for management and public administration. What you really mean to say is the average person is not willing to learn or improve themselves to be good at both. The american average is pathetic and it shows with how our companies perform. Look at our city government and tell me if you see greatness as the average.

When you hire based on reasons other than capacity and aptitude you get mediocrity.
If that were true, then everyone one who tried could indeed do it all. You know that's not the case. People that are strongly mathematically inclined don't always do well in social sciences or debate class or in sports. Sure they might do better than pass (so get a strong B) but the point I'm making is MOST people often have certain strengths and it's ok to focus on your strengths instead of going into a field that brings out your weaknesses. You can't honestly sit there and think that if everyone "just tried" they would excel in music, math, dance, science, drama, writing, sports, foreign languages, art, etc. That's the point I'm
making. Being exceptional in one thing is not mediocracy.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:19 PM

26 posts, read 25,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
If that were true, then everyone one who tried could indeed do it all. You know that's not the case. People that are strongly mathematically inclined don't always do well in social sciences or debate class or in sports. Sure they might do better than pass (so get a strong B) but the point I'm making is MOST people often have certain strengths and it's ok to focus on your strengths instead of going into a field that brings out your weaknesses. You can't honestly sit there and think that if everyone "just tried" they would excel in music, math, dance, science, drama, writing, sports, foreign languages, art, etc. That's the point I'm
making. Being exceptional in one thing is not mediocracy.
Have you ever read the book "Talent is Overrated" or heard of the "10,000 hour rule"? It takes time to be a master at anything.

You excel at what you practice at. Arguing otherwise is ridiculous and a cop-out for not actively pursuing anything outside your comfort zone.

Being exceptional in one thing is mediocrity because there is always somewhere out there that is better. It is your combination of skills that makes you valuable.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Have you ever read the book "Talent is Overrated" or heard of the "10,000 hour rule"? It takes time to be a master at anything.

You excel at what you practice at. Arguing otherwise is ridiculous and a cop-out for not actively pursuing anything outside your comfort zone.

Being exceptional in one thing is mediocrity because there is always somewhere out there that is better. It is your combination of skills that makes you valuable.
So then I must assume you are exceptional at multiple things and are the master of artistic pieces, beautiful compositions of music, you are also an expert in playing multiple instruments, were the star of your school play and the principle in the dance recital, got a perfect score on your SATs, most things you've written have been published, you can code in multiple languages, you are fluent in multiple languages, you have a beautiful singing voice, you can give a captivating speech in front of a room of 1000s, you were a star athlete... In other words, anything you've ever tried you've been able to master so you excel in everything. Is that correct to say about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City