Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:24 PM

575 posts, read 671,921 times

Advertisements

Will anyone be going to Cuba when it's legal to do so? Do you think there will be non-stop flights from JFK right off or will we have to get to Miami. I know people who have gone via the Bahamas and Mexico and Canadians can go without problem. They say that the(USA) passports are not stamped on the way in or out. I think we can already go legally for educational, sporting, cultural and humanitarian reasons.

I wouldn't pay some stupid price for the trip but I would like to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 02:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Will anyone be going to Cuba when it's legal to do so? Do you think there will be non-stop flights from JFK right off or will we have to get to Miami. I know people who have gone via the Bahamas and Mexico and Canadians can go without problem. They say that the(USA) passports are not stamped on the way in or out. I think we can already go legally for educational, sporting, cultural and humanitarian reasons.

I wouldn't pay some stupid price for the trip but I would like to go.
I would love to fly directly from JFK to Havana. Obama announced Friday Americans will no longer have to get licenses to go to Cuba. Americans are now able to spend money, including credit cards. And airlines are able to fly directly to Cuba, and travel agencies are able to set up packages now.

I imagine the main airports to fly to Cuba will be Miami and JFK.

With it now legal US passports will be stamped.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:51 AM

116 posts, read 220,897 times
I go by raft. Get a wooden door without the brass knob & there you go amigo.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:14 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
going there does interest me alot.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:47 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
It would be interesting to see people using the same products manufactured pre-1950 in daily life rather than how we replace all of our things before the life cycle end.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:31 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It would be interesting to see people using the same products manufactured pre-1950 in daily life rather than how we replace all of our things before the life cycle end.
That is a good reason to know to see how life used to look like!

Old 01-17-2015, 08:57 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times
You can go from Miami for $500 dollars in the past (round trip). You need to call a agency which specialize in this business as they handle the visa also.

I would say be careful if you go to Cuba, there economy has been going on a downhill the past few years. The citizen's don't own guns, however, getting into a knife fight is very common. Especially in the big city like Havana. In addition, the roads are terrible you need to be a expert at dogging pot holes that can sink a car and there no light system in the highways (when it get dark). You really need a local to show you the way if you plan to travel (leave the tourist area).

Lastly, exchange your money to EUR/GBP before you go. They previously discriminate against USD by charging outrageous fees.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:49 AM

575 posts, read 671,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You can go from Miami for $500 dollars in the past (round trip). You need to call a agency which specialize in this business as they handle the visa also.

I would say be careful if you go to Cuba, there economy has been going on a downhill the past few years. The citizen's don't own guns, however, getting into a knife fight is very common. Especially in the big city like Havana. In addition, the roads are terrible you need to be a expert at dogging pot holes that can sink a car and there no light system in the highways (when it get dark). You really need a local to show you the way if you plan to travel (leave the tourist area).

Lastly, exchange your money to EUR/GBP before you go. They previously discriminate against USD by charging outrageous fees.
Have you been there? I have not. Friends went to Mexico, exchanged USD for MXN and went on a Cuban airline, Cubano. $400 Euros, or about $460 USD.

They then exchanged their pesos for Cuban Dollars and the exchange rate was 20% lower than it should have been. Probably a "gringo tax" or some such thing.

I'm going to go.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:19 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times
Quote:
Have you been there? I have not. Friends went to Mexico, exchanged USD for MXN and went on a Cuban airline, Cubano. $400 Euros, or about $460 USD.
I have been there. I knew someone studying at the university there. She was part of a exchange program in Latin America (Cuba offers great medical school). We rented a car for the week. I went into a club with my friend (see if it was worth staying). The local guy who was my friend's friend was driving the car and stayed in the car. When we returned to the car (as the place was half empty) the local guy was in a fight with someone trying to rob him. The person thought he was a lonely tourist in the car, due to seeing me get out of the car. I speak Spanish so I am able to get by without much issues. Most of the people I encountered are nice people. However, expect to pay extra (consider it tipping) and treat people to food when you go to restaurants (even if it is the taxi driver who taking you all around the city for the day) if you hope to get in people good side (Majority of locals think anyone from US is rich compared to them). Local places are very cheap relative to tourist areas, so it doesn't hurt to be extra generous.

Note: There is mandatory militarily service in Cuba. So don't judge people by their appearance.

Due to the embargo there is a limit on how much you can import back into the US. You use to get away with a few cases of Cuban cigars if you claim it for personal use and not commercial. I always carried it on me in a book bag, that way your luggage doesn't disappear if someone gives you problems.

Quote:
hey then exchanged their pesos for Cuban Dollars and the exchange rate was 20% lower than it should have been. Probably a "gringo tax" or some such thing.
It is not a gringo tax. Most of Cuba's rich and middle class left Cuba during the rise of communism. The majority relocated to Miami, FL(which was previously a retirement area for old people) and still send money back to people they know in Cuba (mainly relatives). So they put a tax on the USD dollars floating in Cuba's economy.

Last edited by NYer23; 01-17-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-17-2015, 10:53 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
Been twice through Mexico...loved it! Loved the people , the beaches, the food and the architecture ( Havana). It really helps if one can speak Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City