Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 13,737 times

Advertisements

I was running late for school in the morning at a bus station outside of a train station. When the bus came, I headed for the front of the bus but saw that it was crowded and unlikely for me to get on the bus. It was when I thought I was going to be late for class that I saw the backdoor open and a few other people waiting outside the rear door. I got on the bus through the rear door instead before two undercover officers told us to get off the bus. I was ticketed and received a notice of violation and hearing for Fare Evasion or "Entered Without Payment" as it was checked off in the ticket. While my officer was ticketing me, he asked if I had a student metrocard to which I responded 'Yes'. He then said he will tell me "exactly what to do". He underlined a number on the back of the ticket and told me to call that number and give them my student metrocard number and that my ticket will be dismissed. So far, I have called the number but the office is closed. I researched a bit online and it appears that I have to go to the hearing in person with one of my parents. If this is the case then how was my ticket going to be dismissed by giving them my student metrocard number through the phone? I'm planning on attending the hearing if needed but does anyone have any advice? Is the hearing mandatory or is it possible to get my ticket dismissed through the phone like the officer said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 03:12 PM

31,576 posts, read 26,419,637 times
NYPD officer did not say your ticket would be dismissed over the telephone, just that it would. If you've done research as to how the procedure works there you are then. Call the telephone number during normal business hours and see what they have to say. As with all NYC offices you probably are going to have to try more than once to get through via telephone. At least there is a direct number instead of being sent to the misery that is 311.

Highly doubt the MTA Transit Adjudication Bureau is going to dismiss a ticket over the telephone for various reasons. Also remember though NYPD issued the ticket they have no control over what a TAB judge decides to do. What can and has happened with all sorts of tickets is the officer will make an "error" that will be grounds for dismissal. Things like incorrect address or make/model of car for parking ticket.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:53 PM

993 posts, read 1,375,134 times
If you end up having to talk to a judge, you could express a word of appreciation that the officer asked you if you have a student metrocard with you at the time, since that demonstrates you did have a way to pay.

You understand, of course, that once an officer starts writing a ticket they can't stop, or else it could appear they're taking a bribe from you to stop. You needn't say that; it's just something to know.

I even wonder if a parent could make this phone call for you, just to ask for information and procedural questions, not to try to argue the ticket on the phone for you. That's just if you find it was impossible to wait through their phone-on-hold/wait times during your own school-break hours. Try it yourself, first.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 01-17-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 06:28 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,042,938 times
I too doubt it will be dismissed with a phone call. Worse comes to worse see a judge, tell them you needed to get on the bus fast and made a wrong decision that day. It's not the end of the world or a serious crime. But learn from it and don't repeat the same mistake.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 PM

30,454 posts, read 17,876,776 times
It seems to me that these officers had no good reason to write a ticket; they should've asked you if you had a student Metrocard before they started writing the ticket (they generally don't just start writing tickets if you're in their presence, but rather ask for identification first, etc.) . . . I assume you had a book bag on and "look" like a student. I think the officers ticketed you in light of evidence supporting that you had a student Metrocard as it counts toward their "quotas," even if the ticket is ultimately dismissed on a technicality.

Having written that, be sure to follow the officers' advice. At the hearing, I'd also make sure to tell the judge that you would've gone to the front of the bus and swiped your card had the officers not made you get off the bus (assuming that you would have done so). That, together with the fact that you had a Metrocard, makes for a very weak case. Note, the fact you had a student Metrocard when ticketed would not necessarily on its own lead to your ticket being dismissed. That's because student Metrocards only have 3 swipes; as they are not "unlimited" cards, you could have very well intended not to swipe as you planned on using the card more than 3 times that day.

On the upside, at least the NYPD slowdown seems to have ended

Old 01-17-2015, 09:51 PM

I had a backpack and looked like a student that day. I think the officer ticketed me after asking about my student metrocard. I could be mistaken so don't base anything off of this order. The bus was crowded and so I had no way of making my way to the front of the bus to pay the fare...though I'm sure that information would be counted against me. I did have my student metrocard on me and I didn't need to swipe 3 times that day. I've never been ticketed and I don't know what goes on during a hearing. I've looked at their website. I would have to travel to their building and wait (probably hours) until it's my turn and then I'll tell my side of the story to someone and then the judge will decide on the outcome. Is it court styled like I see in the movies or is it talking at an investigation table or something? I honestly think I would be scared and shaking if it were like a real trial.

Edit: From threads of others, it sounds like they've all had bad experiences as the process took the entire morning.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:56 PM

Persons using student Metro Cards receive tickets all the time. Things like using one on a school holiday or after hours, not using it to get to and from school/approved purpose, that sort of thing.

The process is pretty straight forward but I'd bring your parent if possible.

You arrive, tell the clerk/whomever you are there and then sit and wait to be called. Once called the judge will ask you basically "guilty" or "not guilty" and or for you to explain. Here you should just say that you've told us: that the bus was crowded and you were late for school but couldn't get on the front and feared missing... So you went for the back door but since you had your metro card was going to find away to make it to the front and pay once on board.

Since this is your first time there is a good chance the thing *may* be dismissed.

How old are you anyway?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Persons using student Metro Cards receive tickets all the time. Things like using one on a school holiday or after hours, not using it to get to and from school/approved purpose, that sort of thing.

The process is pretty straight forward but I'd bring your parent if possible.

You arrive, tell the clerk/whomever you are there and then sit and wait to be called. Once called the judge will ask you basically "guilty" or "not guilty" and or for you to explain. Here you should just say that you've told us: that the bus was crowded and you were late for school but couldn't get on the front and feared missing... So you went for the back door but since you had your metro card was going to find away to make it to the front and pay once on board.

Since this is your first time there is a good chance the thing *may* be dismissed.

How old are you anyway?

I recently turned 17 in late December. I called the number and the lady on the phone said that what the officer said was not true (about dismissing it by phone). I'm going to have to go to their office with my parents. Thankfully, it's not in a court room or I would be really nervous and unable to form coherent sentences...

Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,385,210 times
" Pay Yer Fare or get off my bus ! "

Old 01-24-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xihunter View Post
I recently turned 17 in late December. I called the number and the lady on the phone said that what the officer said was not true (about dismissing it by phone). I'm going to have to go to their office with my parents. Thankfully, it's not in a court room or I would be really nervous and unable to form coherent sentences...
Only asked about your age since if under 16 you couldn't be charged with fare evasion IIRC.

Whomever you spoke with over the telephone confirmed what I said upthread; you are going to have to settle this in person.

No, it isn't a court but a hearing and you are wise to bring a parent or parents. Just get it over with and stop obsessing about the "if's" and "what happens". Just take it as one of life's teachable moments and move on.

When you appear be polite, respectful and a "good boy" as it were.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City