Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:52 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
But I would like to get a local perspective, because the news would have one think that it is just open season on Black males... what is it really like there?
Projects like this are also going on, all the time.
"500 Men Making a Difference" in Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
https://www.facebook.com/500Men

Here's an interview with them from last summer following Eric Garner's death. 500 Men Making A Difference aims to prevent deaths at the hands of police - News 12 Brooklyn (UGH, FILE NOT FOUND< I'm working on replacing this link.)

Also, they do a lot with Save Our Streets (S.O.S.) events

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 01-19-2015 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 02:10 PM

279 posts, read 521,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Seems a bit weird taking this position as to speak on behalf of the OP (when you are not them). The way this thread has been going the OP has not shown any signs he mind if the thread became more inclusive as to capture other race and gender's perspective.
In the original post, the op asks about it being open season on black males in NYC, and asks for others perspective on that topic. Given the request, it seems logical that we would continue to discuss that topic as requested and not talk about other groups such as black females, Asians or other minority groups, otherwise we aren't really answering the question being posed. If one asks about one topic then I would think they would want to hear about that rather than have their question dismissed and be told that it happens to everyone. That seems rather rude to say the least. He asked about black males for a reason. What Asians, black females and others experience is not the same as what black males face and vice versa, so it makes no sense to lump all of those groups together as if they are the same when they are not.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:32 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
I was in a $400 hotel in Chelsea and didn't have any problems at all. Guess it depends on who is working, among other things.
The "other things" is primarily how paranoid and/or self-centered one is. For the most part no one around here gives a damn about anyone else, and some take that as racism. While in reality they might just be getting these looks because they are not likable in general.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:34 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
Following my post #51 above, I tried but cannot retrieve the file-tape from Brooklyn News 12 showing the comments by "500 Men Making a Difference" from last July 30, 2014, which might have addressed OP's core question. Perhaps someone else can do better technically to bring a working link.

Here's a different, current link that works (today). It's not a very full report, but at least shows the current approach: Brooklyn's Borough President holds the first in a series of Town Hall Meetings to begin dialogue on current problems between police and community. Town Hall opens dialogue between community, police - News 12 Brooklyn

Old 01-19-2015, 03:00 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
What Asians, black females and others experience is not the same as what black males face and vice versa, so it makes no sense to lump all of those groups together as if they are the same when they are not.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:29 PM

237 posts, read 329,881 times
The above is true in a larger sense..but not necessarily on the street. Black males are considered a threat in a way that women and other people are not. Hence, unequal treatment. If you want to get all larger sense and esoteric about it, it's all perception. we are all one, souls have no color..but in this reality we appear different. and those unevolved enough to not see past that treat people differently because of their perception of them. So, yes..that's why a white man tends to get one kind of Police stop..and black dudes like us get the "other" stop.

the one that has a gun in our face.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
I don't start threads here often, because I don't live here. But I would like to get a local perspective, because the news would have one think that it is just open season on Black males. Apart from the politics of the police turning their back on the mayor and the propaganda of shows like Blue Bloods what is it really like there? This appears to be a discussion that turns up every once in a while; last time it was stop and frisk, now we're talking about the possibility of getting into an altercation and meeting your demise, which probably is not new, and probably would not be newsworthy if it weren't for the events that happened over the last few years.
Let met start off by saying I don't know if NYC is a bad place for someone like you. First off black people are still continuing to move to NYC, well not in high numbers as the great migration, but plenty of young black folks who are highly educated and come from some white picket fence no name suburb are moving to NYC and I have encountered plenty of young professional black people not native to NYC or NYC area. If these black folks can move to NYC and overlook the cities issues then why cant you? The black professionals I came across or no different than their white counterparts. In the past two decades plenty of the cities AA population have been moving out of the area for various reasons. If your a hood thug ghetto guy lets say from Bmore, cops will differently stop you or look at you because of dress or how the way you speak.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:04 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
How much common sense do you have?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
NYC is not some utopia, it is a reflection of the world we live in. It is very segregated and their all forms of discrimination from ethnicity, economically, religion, etc...

What makes NYC special is there a little of everything for everyone. In addition, people are quick to speak up/unite when they feel unfairness. Whether it during 911 when it brought the city together or turning out to vote for a more progressive mayor when minorities and less affluent people felt undervalued.

I have to agree with this here. Historically NYC is and has always been a city of tribes. Its probably these most click driven city in America. People in NYC segregate themselves from all sorts of nuances like religion, race, economics, education to even diet and health. Ghetto folks are a tribe, careerist educated transplants from the burbs regardless of race is a tribe, hipsters area tribe, Hassidic jews are a tribe, attending catholic church where one side of the aisle is working class white while the other side of aisle is mainly Hispanic is self segregation, Hipsters are a tribe, wealthy folks are a tribe, the rich are a tribe, the ultra rich who will live in one57 are a tribe, blue collar native whites area tribe, Asians are a tribe, people tribe themselves even on religion here in this city. Race is always going to be an issue here in NYC, but at the end of the day at times things seem to work out. In other parts of the world race and conflict does not go to well, a good example of this is the situation going in Ukraine, and Eastern Europe where people do not like ethnic Russians, another good example is the recent attacks on Parisian comic of Charlie Hebdo which the fires of that attack started because of alienation, segregation, poverty and lack of opportunities for immigrant Muslim men, or in Iraq where everyone of whatever race or religious sect wants to finally kill one another. No matter where we go in life race will always be an important issue from jobs, dating and war!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23

;38086285
Seems a bit weird taking this position as to speak on behalf of the OP (when you are not them). The way this thread has been going the OP has not shown any signs he mind if the thread became more inclusive as to capture other race and gender's perspective.
No I don't mind at all. As I stated earlier with all of the talk of poor, working class, non professional Blacks leaving the city there seems to be a movement in the media to dissuade Blacks from moving there. I doubt that would exclude Black women. If you can get into NYC without experiencing the quality of life issues that plague the poor and working class it still appears to be a great way to go. I was just curious if all of the gentrification resulted in the creation of a different atmosphere for Blacks, or not. I know it isn't the late seventies/early eighties anymore, but just curious as to what it is now.

This was never meant to be a right or wrong, black or white type of thread I know threads take on a life of their own I just wanted to start a conversation.

I'm starting to believe, as with most things, that this police profiling thing; the truth is somewhere in the middle, and not as dramatic or stereotypical as some would have us to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City