Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,109 times

Advertisements

Okai, I reach to the point where I'm stuck , I'm lost , I don't knoe what to do !! I NEED HELP ... I need someone to guide we in the right way! A lil bit about me I'm a 19 year old girl. I graduated high school with an advance regent diploma, I'm not the smartest but I try my all in thing I do. my father and brother got arrested when I was 6, they got deported. From then my life just haven't been good . I could tell you my whole life story but im tierd of crying , I don't wanna go in so much details but at the age of 18 I had enough of the arguing the fights over fights , I came out the closet from that moment my mom kick me out ....... I been staying on people couch to couch . I do work but not enough money I get to rent a room for 500 600 .... I've been looking at shelter , never have I thought this would be me right now but can anybody give me advice on how shelter work for 19 year old ... would they help me get a apartment vouchers or what ever , thank you for the time reading this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:50 PM

113 posts, read 208,631 times
Covenant House New York

Old 01-19-2015, 12:26 AM

664 posts, read 807,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCucumber View Post
Covenant House New York
Are you joking?

The girl said she "came out". That means she's a lesbian.

Gay and lesbian youth run away from Covenant House because they get beat up there in the middle of the night. They're only allowed to stay there if they "renounce" their homosexuality and daily try to "pray the gay away".

Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
It's rough. Sorry to hear.

Try the Center for Gay and Lesbians, or other social service groups and see what they say.

Honestly, if you're 19 and homeless you should seek out going to college at CUNY or SUNY. If you're legally a ward of the court you will be considered independent with 0 income and get full rides via perkins grants. Then you can use Pell Grants or minor loans to cover living expenses. If you're still under custody of your mother and she makes any $$$ you'll have to legally emancipate yourself.

Honestly, I'd pick a SUNY school far away from the complications of the city, and focus on getting an education while working a little bit and coming out as a responsible 23 year old without all the stuff that's dragged you down.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 26,950 times
Default Attending college in Syracuse

If you're going to attend school, hurry up because classes start tomorrow. I teach at SUNY OCC - that's Onondaga Community College in Syracuse. If you want to get out of expensive New York, Syracuse might work for you. Set up where you're going to stay for a few days - there's a homeless shelter for women but you should call first. Get a Megabus tomorrow morning, be in Syracuse by early afternoon. Get right up to OCC (city buses go there) and go directly to Student Central in the Gordon Student Center. You might want to even phone them before coming up to see if your plan could work. I'd start there to get things going. It's going to take time for your financial aid to come through, so just attend the classes you think you can get into. In the first week or two there's a fair amount of leeway before you have to prove that you've paid for the class. Rooms rent around here for about $450 - 500 per month.

Getting an education is the best long-term way out of your situation. But if you think going to school is easy or that you won't have to pay back student loans, you're sadly mistaken. I see too many students who think they can just slide along with grants and loans, but they don't get a degree and they're stuck with no jobs and loans to pay back.

Good luck with everything! You can do it. I was once a single mother on welfare. I managed over the years to get a Master's degree and a good career. If you can work hard and NOT get involved with idiotic, abusive or addicted people, you'll be fine.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 AM

338 posts, read 556,686 times
OP, what part of NY do you live in?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
I sort of hope this post is not a serious one, but, if it is, it is very sad.

OP seems to be a Latina, based on the way she writes in English, though the tantan part of her name is confusing.

A quick fix could be www.couchsurfing.org It's popular with many young folks who move from place to place, either traveling or finding themselves or whatever.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 PM

I'm tierd of couch surfing !!! No young female should live like that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
I sort of hope this post is not a serious one, but, if it is, it is very sad.

OP seems to be a Latina, based on the way she writes in English, though the tantan part of her name is confusing.

A quick fix could be www.couchsurfing.org It's popular with many young folks who move from place to place, either traveling or finding themselves or whatever.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:39 PM

I'm currently living in harlem on the couch at my ex step mother apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
OP, what part of NY do you live in?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:44 PM

664 posts, read 807,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantansofancy View Post
I'm currently living in harlem on the couch at my ex step mother apartment
So you're not really "homeless" then ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City