Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Wish they would increase the daily fare to $5 dollars and lowered the 30-day monthly pass (similar to what the Metro-North line does). This way you reward local residents who use it frequent, while asking people coming in from other areas to pay slightly higher price for a short duration (Tourist).
The locals are the ones that fill the MTA coffers...and they know this very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:49 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
The "monthly" pass doesn't start until your first swipe into the system. Do you ever buy a few monthly passes prior to the fare hike at the current price?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 AM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Nothing is ever free, and a proposal in a magazine does not mean it's politically or economically viable.
If it was worked out by an economist, I might venture that it WOULD be economically viable.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
MTA is a giant black hole. Its a mystery how that agency is viable!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
MTA is a giant black hole. Its a mystery how that agency is viable!
One cost-cutting solution right off the bad would be to take away the "black cars" of the MTA bigwigs, and replace them with monthly MetroCards.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
One cost-cutting solution right off the bad would be to take away the "black cars" of the MTA bigwigs, and replace them with monthly MetroCards.
lol. mta high ranking officers taking the MTA...lol.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
that won't even put a dent on their budget.

MTA & NYC transit is an embarrassment to NYC. When I travel, I am amaze how great it is out there. They can't even get rid of the horrid metrocard system. Even 15 yrs ago, other countries use various RFID cards or smart chip thing.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
that won't even put a dent on their budget.

MTA & NYC transit is an embarrassment to NYC. When I travel, I am amaze how great it is out there. They can't even get rid of the horrid metrocard system. Even 15 yrs ago, other countries use various RFID cards or smart chip thing.
I don't see RFID or smart chips being a "good" thing.

Some of us don't like direct linkage to our bank accounts, nor do we like the ability of government agencies to track our every movement.

Frankly, I'd like to see them bring back the token.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Some of us don't like direct linkage to our bank accounts, nor do we like the ability of government agencies to track our every movement.

Its not linked to the checking account. Its similar to a hard plastic work badge. Its very sturdy & can be used thousands of time over & over. I've seen riders put their whole purse over the turnstyle reader & it reads without ever taking it out.

The flimsy junk we have craps out & some people have to pay $1 to use it to add insult to injury. Also there is a special wrist action to actually slide it we NYers are too familiar with. If not, we have to stand behind the people who slide that metrocard a dozen times during rush hour.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 AM

384 posts, read 512,248 times
Quote:

If you buy your Metrocard with a credit or debit card, they can already track your movements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City