Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,429 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a 30yo applying for medical residencies and need to rank some programs around NYC. I've lived in NYC on and off for some time. And basically I would live the next 5yrs within walking distance (2miles) of the hospital where I end up, with the exception that I could live on Upper West Side or Washington Heights and drive to Westchester, as another possibility. I would make $60k at any of those places. I wonder if it's possible to buy a house or apt in any of those regions, if my parents help me with down payment, or it would still be unaffordable? My goal is to find a wife and start a family, which is why NYC is appealing to me ( a lot of people). But I will not necessarily seek to find a wife in my neighborhood, I might even travel to my home country where there are more thin, white women Also I asked some women from my home country if they'd like to live in the city centre or in suburbia and their answers vary. And a woman will take a very important part in my decision to eventually own an apt in a city or a house elsewhere, although I am unable to afford anything right now.

So I am looking for any types of comparisons between these locations, assuming you have the same, job, finances,etc. I would also note that brooklyn and staten island have more people of my ethnicity which is appealing to me in that you could find colleagues to joke around in your own language. But otherwise, I do not know and do not foresee that I would meet more people in any of those regions. Except if 1 is significantly more rural, then there are probably fewer opportunities to get socially engaged. I.e. I might not want to drive or take a long train after a hard day at work just to meet people. I am much more inclined to walk or even ride a bicycle.
Also I wish I could go to the beach a lot. I am not afraid of even going for a swim in freezing temperatures. But I am very disappointed with NYC and Long Island beaches. And so no matter where I end up, most likely the only practical way to go to the beach will be JFK or Newark or Laguardia.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 02:12 PM

bump

Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 PM

245 posts, read 308,139 times
I don't know what ethnicity you're referring to (Russian maybe given your clues?) but if your main concern is to find a wife near bye then yes pick a hospital near that ethnicity. It is so much easier to find a spouse when you are surrounded by the right crowd. As for money, I make about the same salary as you and could not afford to buy a house even in Staten Island right now. But then again I am already supporting a wife and she doesn't work. If you are single NOW, then maybe you could afford a house there because you are not paying for a wife's food and health insurance etc. When you do get married, your wife better work or you better get a pay raise. Brooklyn or Manhattan are much more expensive than Staten Island. You will NOT be able to afford to buy a decent home in those boroughs. If you are going to be a doctor, you will want a better home in the long run.

My ultimate opinion would be to rent now while in residency. and buy a home later when you can live wherever you really want to live long term. Do you really want to deal with home maintenance anyway while in residency?

Old 02-07-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
I don't know what ethnicity you're referring to (Russian maybe given your clues?) but if your main concern is to find a wife near bye then yes pick a hospital near that ethnicity. It is so much easier to find a spouse when you are surrounded by the right crowd. As for money, I make about the same salary as you and could not afford to buy a house even in Staten Island right now. But then again I am already supporting a wife and she doesn't work. If you are single NOW, then maybe you could afford a house there because you are not paying for a wife's food and health insurance etc. When you do get married, your wife better work or you better get a pay raise. Brooklyn or Manhattan are much more expensive than Staten Island. You will NOT be able to afford to buy a decent home in those boroughs. If you are going to be a doctor, you will want a better home in the long run.

My ultimate opinion would be to rent now while in residency. and buy a home later when you can live wherever you really want to live long term. Do you really want to deal with home maintenance anyway while in residency?
Thank you for your response. I kinda think it's easy for a woman to work and make this amount of money. Even if she is from overseas and she's hot, she could easily work as a fitness instructor in manhattan. In other cities, she would actually need to have some skills to make $, like tennis or something. But I only count on my own salary. It's unfortunate that the housing is so expensive. And I hate the idea of paying rent for 5yrs and not accumulating any wealth.

Ive lived on staten island before and I heard so many people say how it is such a dump. Even if you want to socialize with people and go on a ski trip, there are buses out of park slope and manhattan, but nothing out of staten island.. there arent even any cafes or bars on SI.. But I completely agree with you that it's important to be around "the right crowd". which is why I even consider nyc. otherwise I could fly to my home country but I know nobody there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: