Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,173 times

Advertisements

My question is : Is Bronx Community College a good place to study? I'm planning to go there to get my A.S in Computer Science in fall 2015 . I've applied there because it's 3 blocks away of my house, so , what can you say about it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
You're only three blocks away from the place and you can't find out about the school yourself?

Didn't you talk to any students there before you applied? Or haven't you yet? Did you make the effort to try and talk to any faculty or administrators? Have you asked for a tour or looked online for any existing stats on BCC? Can't you even make some educated guesses about the vibe and student body just by watching who comes and goes and how they act?

Basically, why come to an anonymous message board when the answers to your questions are almost right in front of you. If you can't get answers about something when it's practically staring you in the face then you might not be cut out for college.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:56 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You're only three blocks away from the place and you can't find out about the school yourself?

Didn't you talk to any students there before you applied? Or haven't you yet? Did you make the effort to try and talk to any faculty or administrators? Have you asked for a tour or looked online for any existing stats on BCC? Can't you even make some educated guesses about the vibe and student body just by watching who comes and goes and how they act?

Basically, why come to an anonymous message board when the answers to your questions are almost right in front of you. If you can't get answers about something when it's practically staring you in the face then you might not be cut out for college.
, Your 100% right. City, I believe 99% of this board is pure BS. Few legit questions but the rest of it is pure nonsense. Is this school good? Is this block safe between 12-215 AM? My neighbor drives me nuts?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,353 times
Bronx is rough haven. That being said, u go there for ambitions of education u should be ok with a reasonable amount of street smarts. Don't look like a target and most of the time, you won't end up as one.NO body can predict if u will get hurt or not. Most of it though comes from experience of knowing how to carry yourself.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

Sorry if this made you upset. I'm asking here because I've only been in the city for 1 week at that time. And because I do not speak Englishas a native language. Thanks for your answer anyway

Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 PM

624 posts, read 982,113 times
I can't comment on the school, but if you're going to computer science its much better to get a BS at a 4 year university.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:48 PM

503 posts, read 898,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
I can't comment on the school, but if you're going to computer science its much better to get a BS at a 4 year university.
You don't need a BS to land a programming job or whatever branch he's going to pursue under the CS Umbrella. It's all about experience/portfolios. An AS in CS is going to at least green light an interview. Most employers these days are willing to foot the bill for an AS to obtain a BS. I'm solely speaking from experience. However, I have no idea what he would like to do. And, in the grand scheme of things, yes, a BS bests an AS.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 PM

503 posts, read 898,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFlinstone View Post
My question is : Is Bronx Community College a good place to study? I'm planning to go there to get my A.S in Computer Science in fall 2015 . I've applied there because it's 3 blocks away of my house, so , what can you say about it ?
Just like any other CUNY school, you get out of it what you put in. If you network and talk to the department heads and meet other like minded people, you can build yourself opportunities in the long run. Get a gig during school at a help desk as an IT if that's what you want to do. BCC will give you opportunities if you play your cards right, just like any other institution.

Oh, just a warning... Administrative offices are all terrible across the boards when it comes to City workers. So if you're expecting someone to hold your hand when you go to registrar,bursar, etc etc. You will want to rage quit and flame CUNY with an online review. Spare yourself the trouble, you're on your own.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:29 PM

Yeah, I'm going for the AS and them pursue a BS. I'm doing it this way because some people recommended me this way. About the workers: Yeah, I've heard that about them, but I think my patience can handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City